Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Safe Standing Roadshow

Safe standing - time to act

I think this ‘movement’ is hugely overrated in how big people think it is, and these polls that get banded about are simply not credible. Let’s have a randomised sample, as opposed to a sample of the converted.

Am I one of the few people not bothered about this? I like sitting down, and I stand when I want.

I find all of this a bit oppressive to be honest. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bmouth_fox said:

I think this ‘movement’ is hugely overrated in how big people think it is, and these polls that get banded about are simply not credible. Let’s have a randomised sample, as opposed to a sample of the converted.

Am I one of the few people not bothered about this? I like sitting down, and I stand when I want.

Nobody is forcing you to stand? The idea behind safe standing is that a small section in the ground will be converted to rail seating. Nobody is going to force you to do anything. More importantly it's pro-choice, if you want to sit, sit in the likely 90% of non-rail seating areas or if you want to stand all game buy a ticket in that section.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bmouth_fox said:

In what way is it oppressive? 

If anything it'll clear out people standing in seating areas so you sit without being disturbed by those wanting to stand. 

Can you guys wanting this safe standing so much explain what exactly you want and why?

The way I see it is, all fans who want to stand both home and away can do so now, it can't be for safety as you stand now in unsafe areas so have a disregard for safety.

So what part of safe standing are you pushing for?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, red5 said:

Can you guys wanting this safe standing so much explain what exactly you want and why?

The way I see it is, all fans who want to stand both home and away can do so now, it can't be for safety as you stand now in unsafe areas so have a disregard for safety.

So what part of safe standing are you pushing for?

The fact we will have a designated area to stand without the worry of having a finger jabbed in our backs asking us to sit down.

also, the safe standing area will naturally become the atmosphere section so fans down Filbert Way will know where to go for a sing song.

plus my shins have taken so much of a battering over the years they wouldn’t mind a break. 

7 minutes ago, AndWhat? said:

The fact we will have a designated area to stand without the worry of having a finger jabbed in our backs asking us to sit down.

also, the safe standing area will naturally become the atmosphere section so fans down Filbert Way will know where to go for a sing song.

plus my shins have taken so much of a battering over the years they wouldn’t mind a break. 

SK1 is a designated area now, all aways have areas to stand now, only those standing with disregard to others have a finger in their backs.

Everyone knows where sk1 is now.

And the last bit shows the disregard for safety standers have.

26 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

It is illegal to stand in a Premier League ground currently. Yes, a lot of away fans and SK1 stand but that is by choice. Stewards could tell them to sit down, or other fans.

As well as being illegal it is also dangerous. I guess SK1 is regularly overfilled. I wouldn't trust the seats in front to hold people back safely which rail seating would.

Safe standing will be around 10% of a ground where like-minded fans can get together and suppprt their team. The other 90% of the ground is for those who wish to sit in peace. Not sure why that is such an issue for people?

No it's not.

So why do people wanting safe standing put themselves and others in danger?

Do people wanting a safe standing area think the rest of the stadium will be forced to sit? So ending the now present situation of several standing areas.

14 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

In what way is it oppressive? 

If anything it'll clear out people standing in seating areas so you sit without being disturbed by those wanting to stand. 

I was making a point that I think actually its a fairly small number of fans overall that want safe standing and that it’s media coverage is not proportionate. 

I have come across people who are quite militant about it (not saying anyone on here is btw), and in that way I find it oppressive. 

1 hour ago, bmouth_fox said:

I was making a point that I think actually its a fairly small number of fans overall that want safe standing and that it’s media coverage is not proportionate. 

I have come across people who are quite militant about it (not saying anyone on here is btw), and in that way I find it oppressive. 

It's a large proportion compared to other issues. I can't name another issue within the footballing community that gets as many people talking. 

LCFC considered stocking red wine in the concourse because ONE person suggested it at a FCC meeting, I don't see why they can't engage on this topic where there are litteraly thousands of people in the ground that it would benefit. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

It's a large proportion compared to other issues. I can't name another issue within the footballing community that gets as many people talking. 

LCFC considered stocking red wine in the concourse because ONE person suggested it at a FCC meeting, I don't see why they can't engage on this topic where there are litteraly thousands of people in the ground that it would benefit. 

Maybe the person wanting red wine was worth their time to listen.

13 hours ago, red5 said:

No it's not.

So why do people wanting safe standing put themselves and others in danger?

Do people wanting a safe standing area think the rest of the stadium will be forced to sit? So ending the now present situation of several standing areas.

It's true that people who stand are showing that total safety isn't their highest priority.

But that doesn't show that they wouldn't be happy to accept the benefit of safety in addition to their preference to stand at a football match.

Edited by Harry - LCFC

15 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

VAR and use of technology? 

A lot of other grounds stock wine, and if I’m honest I think the lack of a decent ale is more of an issue for me than safe standing. Sick of shite lager dominating, though Singha is one the less shite ones

• Like 1

Premier League clubs have been told that a clear majority of fans want the option of being able to stand during a game but only one in 20 wants to stand for the entire match.

The research, conducted by the polling firm Populus over the past 16 months, was discussed last week during the Premier League shareholders’ meeting in London.

Sports minister Tracey Crouch is ducking the facts on safe standing | Daniel Taylor

Unlike the English Football League, Premier League clubs have not yet reached a joint position on whether they should back calls for the government to drop the all-seat rule for the top two divisions, which has been in place since the 1989 Hillsborough disaster. It is understood the league is consulting clubs and experts.

The Premier League wrote to the clubs last summer asking whether any would be interested in a safe-standing trial but last week it emerged that the sports minister, Tracey Crouch, rejected a request from West Brom to install 3,600 rail seats next season.

In a statement, the Premier League said: “As part of ongoing discussions about the possible introduction of standing in top-flight football, the Premier League is conducting its own research.

“The results so far suggest a majority of fans like the idea of standing areas in principle but only 5% want to stand for an entire match. Additionally, the majority want the option of being able to stand and sit during a match.

“This subject is complex and nuanced and clearly requires more research looking at how standing areas might impact Premier League stadiums, overall fan experience at matches and safety standards.

“Taking this into account we understand and appreciate why the minister for sport would require far more evidence before considering a change to the current all-seater policy.”

Newsflash - the 40k Yanited fans at Wembley that STOOD throughout the semi final today was actually an optical illusion. According to Populus ( see above ), only 5% of them  were actually standing, the rest just had infeasibly large upper bodies and were in fact sitting throughout.

Source BBC (British Bollox Corporation)

• Haha 1

On 10/04/2018 at 14:43, Mr Weller said:

Most people are happy with all seater standouts but a few (mostly) young men want football to go back to a time when it was wholly the preserve of white, manual working class young men.

Football is now a family game and women and children are as welcome as anyone else. The big money is with this new audience and owners are not going to endanger that.

Really, let's all move on...

I'm glad I'm welcome as a woman :rolleyes: but I'd much rather stand, thanks 

• Like 2

Anyone that's experienced the rail seating - how high up is the seat that folds down? I'm guessing if you sit on it you won't be able to see because everyone else is stood?

If you could still see whilst sitting down then more needs to be made of the fact that there is actually a seat there to use, if a lot of people are of the view that they'd like standing but couldn't/wouldn't want to stand for the whole game.