Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Safe Standing Roadshow

Safe standing - time to act

5 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Fences aren't dangerous, poor management of people behind them is. 

Being fenced in at the front with no escape route other than back through the entrances is extremely dangerous, the evidence is there to see. A fire at the back of the stand in one of the food outlets for example would be horrendous. Even if they had gates in the fences and managed to open them the panic of hundreds of people rushing to the front and trying to exit through a small gate would result in the same scenes we saw at Hillsborough.

9 minutes ago, davieG said:

Being fenced in at the front with no escape route other than back through the entrances is extremely dangerous, the evidence is there to see. A fire at the back of the stand in one of the food outlets for example would be horrendous. Even if they had gates in the fences and managed to open them the panic of hundreds of people rushing to the front and trying to exit through a small gate would result in the same scenes we saw at Hillsborough.

Based on that logic, multi-tiered stands should also be banned. Imagine a fire breaking out in the rear of the 3rd tier of the Nou Camp. The only way out? Through the fire, or jumping off the front. The panic of hundreds of people rushing to the front....... Or of course,  in your example, do away with hot food outlets - they're usually crap anyway

39 minutes ago, davieG said:

The 2 main causes were allowing fans without the appropriate tickets into a confined space, even this wouldn't have caused the deaths if the front of the stand hadn't been fenced in. Ironic that the fences were put in at the request of authorities who thought they knew best.

This still happens now days, but, according to the authorities, it can't happen because all the fans are seated!!! As if.  

25 minutes ago, davieG said:

I don't think you could have an uncontrollable fire in a ground like ours, there's nothing to burn.

35 minutes ago, davieG said:

Being fenced in at the front with no escape route other than back through the entrances is extremely dangerous, the evidence is there to see. 

Yes the evidence is there to see at places like the Allianz, one of the best stadiums in the world, complete with fences at the front of the terrace. Reported incidents? Zero. 

16 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yes the evidence is there to see at places like the Allianz, one of the best stadiums in the world, complete with fences at the front of the terrace. Reported incidents? Zero. 

Well you can't deny that most of those that died at Hillsborough as a result of being crushed against the fences at the front or trodden on by people who were trapped at the fences at the front of the stand.

42 minutes ago, steveherbe said:

Based on that logic, multi-tiered stands should also be banned. Imagine a fire breaking out in the rear of the 3rd tier of the Nou Camp. The only way out? Through the fire, or jumping off the front. The panic of hundreds of people rushing to the front....... Or of course,  in your example, do away with hot food outlets - they're usually crap anyway

Well of course but fences at ground level serve no purpose other than the control of potentially unruly fans it's an unnecessary burden.

32 minutes ago, davieG said:

Well you can't deny that most of those that died at Hillsborough as a result of being crushed against the fences at the front or trodden on by people who were trapped at the fences at the front of the stand.

No I can't, but like I said that was becasue the crowd wasn't managed properly. Fences aren't inherently dangerous if the terrace is managed properly. Doesn't matter anyway as they'll never come back here. 

16 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

EkQY3Sh.jpg

https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/2018/may/safe-standing-installation-begins/

Anyone know the legality of having safe standing in the championship?  Will they have to remove them if they get promoted (3 year rule).

I'd imagine they could just have the seats locked down like european clubs have to as per UEFA regs 

26 minutes ago, anotherharboroughfox said:

I'd imagine they could just have the seats locked down like european clubs have to as per UEFA regs 

I thought there might be some rule that the seats have to flip back so there would be more room walking along the line (h & s), we don't have those moulded seats you see in other countries anymore so I assumed there was a reason (other than comfort).

2 hours ago, red5 said:

I can't see with that pic if the frame can be removed, what's it like for view if they're used as seats?

You can see over them fine when seated. 

Although, I doubt anyone who has bought tickets in a rail seated area will sit. 

13 minutes ago, AndWhat? said:

You can see over them fine when seated. 

Although, I doubt anyone who has bought tickets in a rail seated area will sit. 

I would expect they would all sit, very little room with the seats locked down. Or am I seeing it wrong?

1 hour ago, red5 said:

I would expect they would all sit, very little room with the seats locked down. Or am I seeing it wrong?

If the seats were locked down, the capacity would be reduced to one person per seat in that area so people would just stand in front of their seats.

Edited by Voll Blau

3 hours ago, red5 said:

Seats are never locked down. They can go up and down like normal seats, they are only ever locked up

So if that's the case why exactly can't the premier league grounds have them and simply don't lock them?  Is it simply down to the 'type' of seat?

Could premier league clubs add barriers in front of current seats for safety reasons If an area has fans standing?  Effectively doing the same thing as safe standing?

3 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

So if that's the case why exactly can't the premier league grounds have them and simply don't lock them?  Is it simply down to the 'type' of seat?

Could premier league clubs add barriers in front of current seats for safety reasons If an area has fans standing?  Effectively doing the same thing as safe standing?

I have no idea. 

Im pretty sure they could put a barrier between every row if they wanted. Clubs would rather bury their heads in the sand over this though. 

5 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Looking good. Hopefully they'll eventually the do the whole end as it looks a bit strange spread it out along a few back rows. Choosing a whole block to start off with would've made more sense.

Exactly what I thought. I wonder if they'll have to replace the seats below now the STFC has been messed up.

Edited by purpleronnie

Leicester residents have been backing calls for safe standing in stadiums

Over 1,000 people have signed a parliamentary petition

By

David Dubas-Fisher

15:31, 20 APR 2018

Calls to bring back stadium standing sections in England has seen more than 1,000 people in Leicestershire signed a parliamentary petition calling for it to be allowed in the Premier League and Championship.

Safe standing, also known as rail seating, is already in place at a number of German clubs as well as at Celtic Park in Scotland, but is outlawed in England.

A number of fans would like to see it introduced south of the border though, with proponents saying it is safer than people standing in all-seater areas as well as helping to improve atmosphere.

A total of 1,210 people from across Leicestershire have signed the petition at the time of writing.

Blaby has attracted the most signatures with 300 followed by Leicester with 226.

The petition has so far gathered 76,388 signatures from across the country though that number continues to rise.

Bristol City FC have done a trial of 'safe standing' rail seats. (Image: Bristol News and Media)

If it reaches 100,000 signatures then it will trigger a debate in parliament on the issue.

All-seater stadiums were introduced following recommendations from the Taylor Report which followed the Hillsborough disaster in which 96 Liverpool fans lost their lives.

Despite that though a total of 1,478 people from Liverpool have signed the petition while another 1,984 have also signed it from across Merseyside.

You can sign the petition at https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/207040

22 minutes ago, davieG said:

Leicester residents have been backing calls for safe standing in stadiums

Over 1,000 people have signed a parliamentary petition

By

David Dubas-Fisher

15:31, 20 APR 2018

Calls to bring back stadium standing sections in England has seen more than 1,000 people in Leicestershire signed a parliamentary petition calling for it to be allowed in the Premier League and Championship.

Safe standing, also known as rail seating, is already in place at a number of German clubs as well as at Celtic Park in Scotland, but is outlawed in England.

A number of fans would like to see it introduced south of the border though, with proponents saying it is safer than people standing in all-seater areas as well as helping to improve atmosphere.

A total of 1,210 people from across Leicestershire have signed the petition at the time of writing.

Blaby has attracted the most signatures with 300 followed by Leicester with 226.

The petition has so far gathered 76,388 signatures from across the country though that number continues to rise.

Bristol City FC have done a trial of 'safe standing' rail seats. (Image: Bristol News and Media)

If it reaches 100,000 signatures then it will trigger a debate in parliament on the issue.

All-seater stadiums were introduced following recommendations from the Taylor Report which followed the Hillsborough disaster in which 96 Liverpool fans lost their lives.

Despite that though a total of 1,478 people from Liverpool have signed the petition while another 1,984 have also signed it from across Merseyside.

You can sign the petition at https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/207040

Was this in the Merc mate?