Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RumbleFox

I imagine this may get deleted but.......

I am disappointed in Foxestalk.  A thread got slightly out of hand earlier (I think we all know the one) but there were lots of very well thought out, well reasoned responses to comments that I think a lot of people thought needed challenging.  Then the thread was locked for some reason.  It was not locked when the comments were made but when reasonable responses came in.  I feel like debate is good, especially when the side of reason is staking its claim and showing up the more unreasonable side.  Not quite sure why it was shut as I was quite proud of a lot of what was being said on there and if we are ever going to "change minds" we need debate, not to be shut down.

Anyway, hope you are all well. X

4 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I am disappointed in Foxestalk.  A thread got slightly out of hand earlier (I think we all know the one) but there were lots of very well thought out, well reasoned responses to comments that I think a lot of people thought needed challenging.  Then the thread was locked for some reason.  It was not locked when the comments were made but when reasonable responses came in.  I feel like debate is good, especially when the side of reason is staking its claim and showing up the more unreasonable side.  Not quite sure why it was shut as I was quite proud of a lot of what was being said on there and if we are ever going to "change minds" we need debate, not to be shut down.

Anyway, hope you are all well. X

Read Thracian's long post that had been quoted a few times the page before the last one and you'll see why it was.

Just now, Wymeswold fox said:

Read Thracian's long post that had been quoted a few times the page before the last one and you'll see why it was.

That is my point.  People were reacting to it challenging it and showing it for what it was, ridiculous.  That post was not deleted ,nor the thread locked at that point.  The thread was locked when lots of very good rebuttals came in.  That is disappointing.  X

I commented towards the end of that thread, but it was getting off topic and just a general "this is my opinion" "well I don't agree with your opinion" and yes whilst that's a debate, it was going round in round in circles. 

We all move on, carry on treating each other nicely and go again.

2 minutes ago, Vocey said:

I commented towards the end of that thread, but it was getting off topic and just a general "this is my opinion" "well I don't agree with your opinion" and yes whilst that's a debate, it was going round in round in circles. 

We all move on, carry on treating each other nicely and go again.

Is that not the entire point of a forum? X

Totally agree @RumbleFox Feels like it was shut down with people standing up to the viewpoint. I don't think any arguments against were off topic or downright aggressive and not accepting that behaviour/ stance was the point of the thread, no? If it was caused by those posts, mods should delete the offending posts, not punish those who were posting those in favour of tolerance and equality 

I've suggested it before, but this forum is a nunnery compared to other forums.

There is hardly any controversy.

I say let idiots express themselves and be shouted down.  If someone breaches the forum rules, delete the post and sanction the poster.

Edited to add - I appreciate that Admins feel they have to protect us from unpalatable stuff.

7 minutes ago, HoustonFox said:

Totally agree @RumbleFox Feels like it was shut down with people standing up to the viewpoint. I don't think any arguments against were off topic or downright aggressive and not accepting that behaviour/ stance was the point of the thread, no? If it was caused by those posts, mods should delete the offending posts, not punish those who were posting those in favour of tolerance and equality 

I feel the same. I don't even think they should necessarily delete the offending posts because he was in the minority and was being made to look a little foolish so they could have let it flow.  What annoys me is (and this has happened before) they are happy to let a thread go on and for comments like Thracian's to be made but then when people start to challenge it gets locked.  I wonder if Thracian complained? I am annoyed by the mods of this forum.  Thracian starts a thread where he, for no reason, starts to fan the flames of disliking a new young player (Iheanacho), accusing him of all sorts without substance and the thread stands open.  I know some will think I am overreacting but that Iheanacho thread is pure nastiness.  Look at Gray, Thracian has played a big part in making him so disliked and now he starts on Iheanacho for no reason.  Then in another thread Thracian makes comments which many found to be in need of challenging and the thread stays open.  Then people challenge his views and suddenly it is locked.  If I were less of a lazy bast8rd I'd make some kind of stance but I am an abhorrent wretch, full of apathy. X

Just now, RumbleFox said:

I feel the same. I don't even think they should necessarily delete the offending posts because he was in the minority and was being made to look a little foolish so they could have let it flow.  What annoys me is (and this has happened before) they are happy to let a thread go on and for comments like Thracian's to be made but then when people start to challenge it gets locked.  I wonder if Thracian complained? I am annoyed by the mods of this forum.  Thracian starts a thread where he, for no reason, starts to fan the flames of disliking a new young player (Iheanacho), accusing him of all sorts without substance and the thread stands open.  I know some will think I am overreacting but that Iheanacho thread is pure nastiness.  Look at Gray, Thracian has played a big part in making him so disliked and now he starts on Iheanacho for no reason.  He in another thread Thracian makes comments which many found to be in need of challenging and the thread stays open.  Then people challenge his views and suddenly it is locked.  If I were less of a lazy bast8rd I'd make some kind of stance but I am an abhorrent wretch, full of apathy. X

Let's not make it a witch hunt Rumble, you're better than that. There were lots of people making good points and proving it's an important topic, and that's what's upsetting for me. We were actually getting to the issue and maybe expanding beyond the echo chamber of our "real lives". FoxesTalk unites us for our love of Leicester, but we definitely don't all agree when it comes to politics etc. That for me is eye opening and having debates and discussing moralistic topics is something we rarely get to do. 

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Guys the Admin team cant be there to monitor every post.. they do, do a good job. 

Ash, I'm appreciative of the work they do. Just think it was a little heavy handed in this case, and there's no recourse or explanation beyond "this is getting out of hand". I don't think it was personally 

I think this is the best ran forum of any I've used over the years. I used to use a large gaming forum called neogaf, if you don't conform to the weird hive mind the mods enforce you are instantly banned.

Not that his post wasn't disgusting, it was. The thread needed locking by that point and it was a good call imo.

Tricky one. I think we're all used to rolling our eyes whenever Thrac decides to share his nuggets of 'wisdom' by now...  I mean what do you expect from a man whose signature includes a nonsensical quip that he came up with, attached to the foot of every comment he makes as though he imagines himself to be some great political thinker of our time?  He's a buffoon and most of us already knew that.

But what he said in the homophobic chants thread was beyond the pail and delved deep into the realms of full-on hate speech.

Not sure that should be a reason for the rest of us not to discuss it but I imagine the mod team don't want this site to be seen as an outlet for that kind of vacuous spite, could cause the forum trouble and then we'd be unable to discuss anything.

I am not starting a witch hunt Houston but sorry if it appeared that way.  I just feel a little disappointed by perceived inconsistencies.   Moreover, I would argue that me stating I feel Thracian was unfair based on empirical evidence is nowhere near as bad as the stuff he said in that thread.  He goes on and on about free speech, I was just exercising mine.  But I like everything you post and if it appeared a witch hunt I do apologise.  I love you. X

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

I can well understand the lock...I think the main offender got off extremely lightly, however.

But if he was banned for a bit, some of the older members around when he first joined the forum would probably complain it's harsh as he's quite respected on here (presumably, well before that post earlier).

Just now, Wymeswold fox said:

But if he was banned for a bit, some of the older members around when he first joined the forum would probably complain it's harsh as he's quite respected on here (presumably, well before that post earlier).

Tough, say I. I respected him up until that point, despite knowing his politics. He lost it very easily.

Archived