Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stu

Adrien Silva - Terms Agreed

28 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I he's our player can we release him on a free, then sign him as a free agent 14 seconds later?

No.  The only players that can be registered outside the transfer window are those who were out of contract and were not registered at any club when the last window closed, and haven't been registered since.  Silva was registered with somebody at the relevant date, be it yourself or Sporting.

1 minute ago, davieG said:

Aren't all faxes date/timed stamp on sending and receipt?

I'm assuming that's how this 14 seconds is being identified, that being the case surely FIFA will have seen the sent time which makes me think there's some other reason this was not approved.

Probably because we cannot prove when we sent it, if it was a simple as we submitted at 11:59:57 and they received at 12:00:14 and we could prove it, it would have been sorted by now.

1 minute ago, dsr-burnley said:

No.  The only players that can be registered outside the transfer window are those who were out of contract and were not registered at any club when the last window closed, and haven't been registered since.  Silva was registered with somebody at the relevant date, be it yourself or Sporting.

It was a joke...........

Just now, Fox 4 Life said:

Probably because we cannot prove when we sent it, if it was a simple as we submitted at 11:59:57 and they received at 12:00:14 and we could prove it, it would have been sorted by now.

Seems pretty simple given all electronic communications are logged and time-stamped. Proving this kind of stuff happens all the time for me at work.

Given this hasn't been sorted out by now it sounds like we didn't actually send it on time according to the logs, in which case we've resorted to the old, 'dog ate it', 'left it on the bus' line of argument - not the best!

12 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Slightly off topic but...

He was actually quoting West Ham fans that call them that.

And it's Sporting Clube de Portugal, or Sporting Portugal

Sporting_Clube_de_Portugal.png.1a1bd1e8fb5b1a4d2d29da6a3ed6eecb.png

1 minute ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

Didn't the "De Gea Man Utd to Real Madrid" deal fall through in similar circumstances? 

From the way it ended, with him staying at United, the clubs didn't agree to a deal before the deadline, so he was still a United player. This is different, as the clubs agreed to a deal before the deadline, the player successfully terminated his contract with SCP, and successfully signed with Leicester, but his registration with the FA and the PL, which started before the deadline, ended 14 seconds after it.

12 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

That's my point faxes are date and time stamped so the proof would be there. 

We have grounds to appeal on the basis the terms state submit which I would suggest would be legally interpreted as the proactive act of sending in this case and not the reactive acr of receiving. But if FIFA play hardball are we really likely to look to take costly and time consuming legal action against a foreign body with jurisdiction outside english law? Interesting to know which body of law the terms are subject to.

3 minutes ago, SCP4Ever said:

He was actually quoting West Ham fans that call them that.

And it's Sporting Clube de Portugal, or Sporting Portugal

Everyone outside of Portugal calls your club Sporting Lisbon, as the name otherwise only indicates the country which is ridiculous. We don't have England United FC or Britain Rovers FC.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

We have budgets to stick to, we don't know if that wold have taken us over budget or over FFP if we hadn't completed the DD transfer.

I understand what you're saying but I'm not sure we can defend the club if the policy has been 'let's see the cash before we splash the cash'. If the margins were that fine then the Drinkwater deal either had to be done earlier or not at all. Or we raise the money elsewhere to cover these eventualities - for example by lowering our asking price for Mendy / Slimani etc. Not spending millions on a back-up keeper who finds himself third choice and so on. 

Selling a key player without a replacement lined up is such a red-line for a forward-thinking club that, should FFP be the issue, you have to do everything possible to avoid putting yourself in that position. Including, if necessary, risking a breach of FFP. What we've done is clearly prioritised financial gain over the footballing side.

Months ago I posted about an agent who'd been talking about how well-run clubs avoid Deadline Day chaos. He said (i) You speak clearly with all players in May to establish where there are likely to be issues, and how far your club will go to accommodate them, rather than allowing issues to surface in August. (ii) You set very clear internal deadlines and share them first with your staff, and later with any club expressing interest. Then you stick to them. For example, if no bid approaching our valuation has been formally received by Day 1 of the season, then no business will be done.

He pointed out that these rules can be broken, but said it's surprising how many supposedly well-run clubs simply don't do these things.

Archived