Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Long Eaton Fox

Return of the Matt

For a midfielder who's likely to be 3rd/4th choice, he's adequate. We aren't a club lucky enough to have 4 or 5 high end Central Midfielders.

He's an intelligent footballer and if he were to come on at 70mins to manage a game, he's very capable.

Who's to say Iborra or Silva will be any better? James would suit the continental game very well and may come with the same reputation had the roles being reversed. 

1 hour ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

Clearly you missed the amazing escape that Leicester made from relegation. He was Leicesters midfield, alongside Cambiaso. So he has proved himself at premier league level.  I remember watching him twist his knee in front of me. Heartbreaking. So when people slag him off from thousands of miles away I hate it. Prove them wrong Matty

What has location/distance got to do with anything?

I didn't miss the great escape.  And because I didn't I know for a fact that James did not play a big role in that.  I'd post his mins played but I already have here on FT.  He did play a very big role in the part of the season when we were rock bottom of the table.

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

Seeing as he is still coming back from injury he will get better as he gets sharper. He has worked hard to come back from injury and at the moment is our best option in midfield, until Iborra gets fit and this mess with Silva is resolved and deserves to be rewarded.

He is not coming back from injury.  He played EIGHTEEN games last season.

Edited by chicagofox

I like matty james.

But.... i eorry that his injury coukd reoccur.

So while he is available i am keen for him to play. .. yet the club must ensure they have cover.

Ps.  He can be forceful going fwd. .. but he doesnt have drinkys range of passing (nor does ndidi). .. so i hope iborra or silva can be drinkys replacement or it will be a long season

Edited by foxinsocks

12 hours ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Of course it's justified he's now worth 10m+ instead of leaving on a free at the end of the season

No he's not. It also means it would be difficult for him to move anywhere else due to his salary here. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, maddog said:

Sentimental for James there rather than the right thing to do as a football club. 

No other Premier League club would have offered him a fresh 4 year deal now, most Championship clubs wouldn't either, with his recent long term injury and generally being a Championship level player.

Let's not forget before his injury he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo in the premier league and when he was injured we survived the drop against all odds without him. 

I'm sure him and Cambiasso were our central midfielders in the great escape season........:blink:

We did win the league without him though to be fair lol 

Edited by Simo86
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Simo86 said:

He played 4 out of 7 games from the West Ham game when our form changed to the Southampton game where he got injured.

I posted on this topic a while back and i'm not going over it all again. He had a very limited impact and was subbed of when losing in one of the matches. It's a myth that he played a major part in the great escape.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Captain... said:

Pass completion rate: 77% (better than Ndidi)

chances created: 1(better than Ndidi's 0) Average number of defensive actions: 4 (the same as Ndidi)

Seeing as he is still coming back from injury he will get better as he gets sharper. He has worked hard to come back from injury and at the moment is our best option in midfield, until Iborra gets fit and this mess with Silva is resolved and deserves to be rewarded.

Pass completion means nothing for a midfielder. James is good at retaining the ball, he often plays short one-two passes, it'd be no surprise to me if it was 95%.

In big games so far we've been overrun and struggle with two (Ndidi and James) because James can't get back and forth. I suspect tomorrow will be the same thing. 

I like James, think he's a tidy player, but there's no way we can continue to play James and another in a two man midfield against better sides. We'll probably get away with it against teams like Brighton.

37 minutes ago, Viva said:

I posted on this topic a while back and i'm not going over it all again. He had a very limited impact and was subbed of when losing in one of the matches. It's a myth that he played a major part in the great escape.

You're not a fan of his then 

Just now, Simo86 said:

You're not a fan of his then 

No i'm not a huge fan. I just don't think he is good enough to step up to the required level we are at in the Premier League. The thing that annoys me a bit though is when people say how good he has been for us in the Premier League. He hasn't shown it for us yet in this league as we were poor in the season he did play and he had a limited impact when our form improved in the great escape. 

I hope he improves and is a great addition to our squad this year. If not then he won't be going anywhere in the next 4 years due to his contract and salary with us. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Pass completion means nothing for a midfielder. James is good at retaining the ball, he often plays short one-two passes, it'd be no surprise to me if it was 95%.

In big games so far we've been overrun and struggle with two (Ndidi and James) because James can't get back and forth. I suspect tomorrow will be the same thing. 

I like James, think he's a tidy player, but there's no way we can continue to play James and another in a two man midfield against better sides. We'll probably get away with it against teams like Brighton.

I was asked what to compare him in if not shots, I think pass completion, chances created and defensive actions are reasonable comparisons.

He's had 3 games this season, we comfortably beat Brighton, got overrun by an absolute beast of a midfield at Old Trafford, and should have beaten Arsenal. 

I don't know what people expect of our players, but James has had a huge amount of time out the game, he is still getting back to his best and he can improve on that. We could also improve on James and hopefully Silva and Iborra will turn out to be awesome. I just don't get this obsession some of our fans have with binning off our players, especially our longer serving players. If it was down to people on here we would have got rid of Vardy, Drinkwater, Schmeichel, Morgan, King, Simpson, Schluppp before we won the title. Now people are desperate to get rid of James, Okazaki, Ulloa etc

I really do find this obsession baffling. We're Leicester City we won the title with a bunch of rejects and misfits and it was awesome.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Captain... said:

If it was down to people on here we would have got rid of Vardy, Drinkwater, Schmeichel, Morgan, King, Simpson, Schluppp before we won the title. 

That's not true.  

Myth #1:  Matty James played a big part on the great escape: he didn't.  (And even if he did, which he didn't, its irrelevant to now).

Myth #2:  Matty James is still not fit:  The man played 18 games at the back end of last season and took part in a full pre-season.

And winning the league was awesome.  But we won that league with better players than Matty James.

Edited by chicagofox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Doesn't have drinky's range of passing? Did I imagine this inch perfect ball over the top or not? :blink:

https://streamable.com/3650r

If somebody said that Ade Akinbiyi didn't have the goal scoring ability of Jamie Vardy, would you show them a video of one of his goals for City as proof that he had?

20 minutes ago, chicagofox said:

That's not true.  

Myth #1:  Matty James played a big part on the great escape: he didn't.  (And even if he did, which he didn't, its irrelevant to now).

Myth #2:  Matty James is still not fit:  The man played 18 games at the back end of last season and took part in a full pre-season.

And winning the league was awesome.  But we won that league with better players than Matty James.

It so is true, and nothing to do with those myths, loads on here wanted Vardy and Drinkwater gone before the start of the Championship season, loads wanted Morgan and Simpson binned off in the great escape season. People have been wanting rid of Schlupp and King for years. Schmeichel had plenty of detractors before the title winning season.

Re: your myths, 1. James outperformed Drinkwater most of the great escape season, I've not said he is responsible for the great escape, but neither was his injury he contributed plenty to that season and if he had stayed fit he would have kept his place and we still would have stayed up as the difference was the formation change, Huth's arrival and the team spirit. 

Myth 2: It takes years of conditioning to perform at the top level, he is fit in that he can complete 90 minutes, but he had 2 years out, 2 years of rehabilitation you don't just get over an injury like that and return to being the same player. He may never be the same player, but he has played 3 PL games, he will need more time to get his game back to the level it was and to form an understanding with Ndidi and he will get better. At the moment he is our best option and we need to keep him happy and performing to his best. Silva/Iborra could come in and just take over, or they could be another Inler and inspire James and Ndidi to the best season of their lives.

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Captain... said:

he contributed plenty to that season

and if he had stayed fit he would have kept his place and we still would have stayed up

Yes he absolutely did.  He contributed a lot to the part of the season when we were largely rock bottom of the table.  He then contributed significantly less to the part of the season when we won regularly.  Again, all of this is irrelevant to whether he should/shouldn't be in the team now.  But that is what happened, whether some choose to remember it differently or not.

Possibly we would.  Possibly we wouldn't.  We may have beat Atletico Madrid last season had James been playing.  Or we may not.  We may still have won the Premier League with James in midfield.  Or we may not.  My point being: you can't be certain or not that we would have stayed up.

4 seasons is a bit excessive given that he's missed the last 2. Would have been worth giving Matty a 2 year extension.

He's done ok so far. The first 3 games of the season are a bit misleading in judging him so far. Still confident he'll show something from here to Christmas.