Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
surrifox

Hurricane Irma

13 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Florida hasn't had a hurricane in several years now, the last serious one, Andrew was in 1992. That went across the peninsular and into the Gulf, Irma looks like its heading right up it. Anyone who passes this off as a 'meh', is in for a big shock.

I experienced 4 hurricanes when I lived in Virginia, nothing higher than cat 2, trust me that was enough. After the second one I headed for the Blue Ridge and watched the events unfolding on TV

I thought Katrina hit them? 

i have only ever seen a hurricane on the TV so to me it just looks like "a strong bit of wind" i have no doubt actually being in one would be a lot different. 

I hate how the news is going on about florida when you look at where its already hit. Its hit british territories and the government sent aid too little too late and i think it was barbuda who were reporting damage to 90% of the buildings on the island and they have Jose on its way now. 

8 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

I thought Katrina hit them? 

i have only ever seen a hurricane on the TV so to me it just looks like "a strong bit of wind" i have no doubt actually being in one would be a lot different. 

I hate how the news is going on about florida when you look at where its already hit. Its hit british territories and the government sent aid too little too late and i think it was barbuda who were reporting damage to 90% of the buildings on the island and they have Jose on its way now. 

Katrina hit Louisiana, the Mississippi river breached the levies and flooded much of New Orleans

25 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Even if they had a hurricane every year, Irma is going to be one of the biggest storms to hit the mainland US in history. It is a big deal. Even if you deal with hurricanes all the top, a category five storm is like having a richter 9 earthquake or a volcano going off in the middle of your town. 

Stiff upper lip is one thing but anyone in the path of the storm is no doubt taking it seriously. You'd hope, anyway.

I'm always amazed at how stupid people can be during hurricanes.

Walking in water when power cables are down

Swimming in rip tides

Driving into flooded areas thinking they can get through.

Sticking it out on a barrier island

1 minute ago, Smudge said:

I'm always amazed at how stupid people can be during hurricanes.

Walking in water when power cables are down

Swimming in rip tides

Driving into flooded areas thinking they can get through.

Sticking it out on a barrier island

Crazy thing, our fight or flight mechanism. Makes us really ****ing stupid. 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

Even if they had a hurricane every year, Irma is going to be one of the biggest storms to hit the mainland US in history. It is a big deal. Even if you deal with hurricanes all the top, a category five storm is like having a richter 9 earthquake or a volcano going off in the middle of your town. 

Stiff upper lip is one thing but anyone in the path of the storm is no doubt taking it seriously. You'd hope, anyway.

I'd definitely hope so, but I somehow doubt it. lol

slaaaayer.gif

19 minutes ago, FoxyPalace.com said:

Due to fly to Orlando on the 16th.

Good luck - I hope it's all 'blown over' by then :ph34r: (sorry)

I hear they're closing Orlando airport from 17.00 tomorrow but not sure for how long?

We got back last from Orlando last week and feel very fortunate. I know our thoughts are with the residents, but it must be a real pisser to go on holiday and then get caught up in this.

Safe trip :thumbup:

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

Good luck - I hope it's all 'blown over' by then :ph34r: (sorry)

I hear they're closing Orlando airport from 17.00 tomorrow but not sure for how long?

We got back last from Orlando last week and feel very fortunate. I know our thoughts are with the residents, but it must be a real pisser to go on holiday and then get caught up in this.

Safe trip :thumbup:

The storm is due early Sunday morning so just hoping it does not get hit too bad.

What was your weather like, nice?

2 minutes ago, FoxyPalace.com said:

The storm is due early Sunday morning so just hoping it does not get hit too bad.

What was your weather like, nice?

The weather was pretty hot when we were there - between 29 - 34 degrees most days. Muggy and humid as fvck though, and guaranteed thunder and lightening storms about 16.00 every day for a couple of hours.

I've still got the Orlando weather app on my phone. Monday looks pretty bad with wind gusts up to 75 mph then looks like it calms down Tuesday/Wednesday. Hopefully all will be back to 'normal' by the time you go on the 16th!

So i don't want to be accused of being anti -humanity, caroline lucas style, but at what point do people realise this is going to get worse and worse and people need to move away from the potential path of what is likely to be ever increasingly powerful hurricanes? 

14 minutes ago, toddybad said:

So i don't want to be accused of being anti -humanity, caroline lucas style, but at what point do people realise this is going to get worse and worse and people need to move away from the potential path of what is likely to be ever increasingly powerful hurricanes? 

Probably not a practical solution for people on the small Caribbean islands 

1 minute ago, surrifox said:

Probably not a practical solution for people on the small Caribbean islands 

I wish i didn't have to say this but, unless humanity produces a miracle and turns its back on fossil fuel yesterday, it is likely they won't be able to live in the caribbean forever.

2 hours ago, FoxyPalace.com said:

Due to fly to Orlando on the 16th.

Unless you are adventurous or nuts, you might want to rethink that. Probably no power. Petrol, food and water will be in short supply. If the I95 is damaged, getting in or out of Florida will be a nightmare for resupplying the state.

I'd say that there's a strong probability that many of the attractions, restaurants etc will be closed, it will be no vacation.

The airlines usually offer amnesty on cancellation fees during this kind of event so that's worth checking out.

If you do go, you might also want to review your travel insurance to make sure you're covered if a medical emergency happens. I assume the hospitals will be full and some may be closed.

8 hours ago, Smudge said:

Unless you are adventurous or nuts, you might want to rethink that. Probably no power. Petrol, food and water will be in short supply. If the I95 is damaged, getting in or out of Florida will be a nightmare for resupplying the state.

I'd say that there's a strong probability that many of the attractions, restaurants etc will be closed, it will be no vacation.

The airlines usually offer amnesty on cancellation fees during this kind of event so that's worth checking out.

If you do go, you might also want to review your travel insurance to make sure you're covered if a medical emergency happens. I assume the hospitals will be full and some may be closed.

Will Orlando really be that badly affected?

I thought the damage will be done in South Florida around Miami and the Keys, I didn't realise Orlando was on the path.

Looking at the Orlando forecast it shows gusts up to 70mph but that wouldn't cause the type of problems you suggest would it?

Hopefully they get away with it - fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I thought the damage will be done in South Florida around Miami and the Keys, I didn't realise Orlando was on the path.

Looking at the Orlando forecast it shows gusts up to 70mph but that wouldn't cause the type of problems you suggest would it?

Disney is closing next week, Irma not invited

Remember sitting through the 1999 storm (was it lothar?). 200km/h (about 125mph) winds hit us on the atlantic coast. was like an articulated lorry parked outside the house all night. Irma is up to what? 250km/h? It's one thing to be young and think you're indestructible but people should have sense and already be out of the path it isn't worth taking the chance.

5 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I think this says more than I can Izzy

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurricane/os-hurricane-irma-florida-saturday-20170909-story.html

Not entirely sure it's going to get worse, but having been hit (or going to be) by three pretty powerful hurricanes in one sitting you wonder if the folks there not entirely convinced that the Earth is changing in terms of climate are going to be convinced now.

I'm not holding my breath (there are such things as anomalies, after all) but you never know...

Archived