Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
surrifox

Hurricane Irma

It seems it could have been worse for Florida. The storm surge is looking pretty spectacular (apparently its drawing water out from as far Panama City) and will do a lot of damage I'm sure but it's now down to a category 2 so wind damage probably won't be as high plus the track change. Probably going to be the costliest storm ever still (?)

I wonder what it will do for our weather. Irma will probably make a bit of a mess of the jet and will Jose staying out in the Atlantic, it could be the case that we get Jose's remnants or the Azores high builds in and gives us a bit of an Indian summer.

Gotta love these cnn reporters.

Harping on about people needing to evacuate. Telling people not to drive  as its unsafe. Blah blah blah.

Then what do they do? Live reporting from the eye of the storm. Driving around in the keys after the storm passed or something.  What kind of effed up message are you sending?

"If you dont leave then you are all bell end twats. Get out while you can.....but ummm we're gunna just ignore our own advice and enjoy butthole pleasures in the eye of the storm".

9 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Sad for people's lives, lost loved ones, homes and livelihoods and everything but I do bloody love nature. Mesmerising.

Just sayin.

For me it adds a sense of perspective; our planet isn't always friendly to humans (and won't be in the future either) and when it's in the mood it's more efficient at tearing things up than humans could ever be.

38 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

For me it adds a sense of perspective; our planet isn't always friendly to humans (and won't be in the future either) and when it's in the mood it's more efficient at tearing things up than humans could ever be.

Yeah, there's a George Carlin skit on those lines. Talks about how much he hates the phrase "save the planet." Says something like "ask those people at Pompeii if they feel like a threat to the planet" and concludes "the planet is fine... WE'RE ****ed!" 

About right. 

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

I know. Bloody love it I do. These sorts of natural events are only a disaster in terms of the effect on humans, mainly because we never seem to bloody learn anything

49 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah, there's a George Carlin skit on those lines. Talks about how much he hates the phrase "save the planet." Says something like "ask those people at Pompeii if they feel like a threat to the planet" and concludes "the planet is fine... WE'RE ****ed!" 

About right. 

As with most things, Carlin was spot on with that. By comparison to some eras the Earth is positively cuddly right now - and when that changes, we'll really know about it.

12 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I know. Bloody love it I do. These sorts of natural events are only a disaster in terms of the effect on humans, mainly because we never seem to bloody learn anything

Yeah, again - perspective. Being human though, we're always going to look at it from the viewpoint of how it affects humans first, though.

And also inability to learn is a very human thing.

watching the news channels over here it was more about what damage it was going to do to the United States, than the devastating damage and destruction and loss of life it had caused the Caribbean. The U.S has the infrastructure and the money/ manpower to cope whereas small Islands in the Caribbean do not! it just seemed the reporting was all about the U.S.A

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

As with most things, Carlin was spot on with that. By comparison to some eras the Earth is positively cuddly right now - and when that changes, we'll really know about it.

Yeah, again - perspective. Being human though, we're always going to look at it from the viewpoint of how it affects humans first, though.

And also inability to learn is a very human thing.

I take issue with the idea that we never learn/have an inability to learn. The fact that Irma has killed what 30 people out of the many many millions that it has affected surely shows we do learn and have the enterprise to fend off what mother nature throws at us. I saw earlier that a hurricane hit Galverston 100 years ago and killed 12000 people. Similarly when the cyclone struck Burma 10 years ago, 10s of thousands were killed but that's because its a poor area. Because we have learnt to build buildings in a way to combat storms, the damage isn't all that bad. Yes there's a cleanup and repairs to do but it hasn't left a wave of destruction in the US. The Caribbean more so but this is a poorer area and would have been worse previously. I do believe that whilst storms are getting more expensive, as a % of income or GDP it is probably now decreasing. Only because of our ability to learn, have we been able to develop technology and infrastructure to the extent that these things don't have the major impact they once did.

Also I don't see how an inability to learn is a very human thing. I don't see the alligators of Florida learning so they don't get caught up in it/I'm sure nature has been hit a lot harder. Maybe we don't learn in terms of the damage we might be doing which causes this problem to be worse but then that's not something that is agreed upon by climate scientists who themselves support the idea of climate change. 

3 hours ago, KingGTF said:

I take issue with the idea that we never learn/have an inability to learn. The fact that Irma has killed what 30 people out of the many many millions that it has affected surely shows we do learn and have the enterprise to fend off what mother nature throws at us. I saw earlier that a hurricane hit Galverston 100 years ago and killed 12000 people. Similarly when the cyclone struck Burma 10 years ago, 10s of thousands were killed but that's because its a poor area. Because we have learnt to build buildings in a way to combat storms, the damage isn't all that bad. Yes there's a cleanup and repairs to do but it hasn't left a wave of destruction in the US. The Caribbean more so but this is a poorer area and would have been worse previously. I do believe that whilst storms are getting more expensive, as a % of income or GDP it is probably now decreasing. Only because of our ability to learn, have we been able to develop technology and infrastructure to the extent that these things don't have the major impact they once did.

Also I don't see how an inability to learn is a very human thing. I don't see the alligators of Florida learning so they don't get caught up in it/I'm sure nature has been hit a lot harder. Maybe we don't learn in terms of the damage we might be doing which causes this problem to be worse but then that's not something that is agreed upon by climate scientists who themselves support the idea of climate change. 

This is all fair. However, I personally was referring more to the idea of people thinking that the Earth is ours to do with as we wish and though we have indeed developed technology to deal with the excesses for the time being, the thought that "this is as bad as it can get". When it really, really isn't the case - even a cursory look at geological history will prove that.

Perhaps I should have said an animalistic thing rather than a human thing when it comes to not learning, because yes, it's definitely not unique to humans.

Archived