Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Matty James: ‘I was in so much pain I’ll remember it for the rest of my life’

The contract for James is as much about CS being seen to look after players and treat them right. Remember how everyone loved the spirit fostered by Pearson? It was because of things like this. He looked after the lads he trusted, the lads who people liked and were good around the place. Not every single decision has to make perfect footballing sense.

After that injury and the jury still out on whether he's the same player he was and had the potential to be, 4 years is excessive. But like the Leo extension it's showing the lads that he's there for them and he will look out for them. He's not going to be on huge money compared to the rest, it won't break the bank. So if the manager sees this, and giving Leo longer because the club is a better place for having them around, then so be it.

As discussed previously as well, he's an asset and it secures him as such. In this market he's worth £5m-£10m when fit, if we sold him in a couple of years we're going to make our money back and more.

Really great to have him back. Seems like an intelligent and grounded chap. 

When he is a fully fit and confident footballer, he is a very good footballer.

Coincidentally I'm currently in hospital and have been here for a week with a kidney infection. It's pretty horrendous.

11 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Knowing how popular James is in the squad, I wonder if his treatment by Claudio was relevant to the apparent breakdown of trust between manager and squad last season. 

You shouldn't be giving preference to players just because they are well liked, so I doubt it. 

He considered James to not be good enough for the Champions League squad and he is fully entitled to that opinion. 

He has obviously been treated very well by the club in giving him 4 years, so hopefully he will now repay the faith they have in him. 

Shows the strength of mind to be a top class footballer, or for that matter the strength needed to succeed in anything.

Most people give in at the first hurdle, but the mental strength to carry on despite countless knock backs.

Footballers often get bad press, but most people would fold and this is a great example of a sportsman wanting to succeed. Getting knocked down, getting back up, getting knocked down, getting back up.

Another example of that winning mentality that I will always think of is Anthony Knockaert v Watford. He missed the penalty and our season was over. The Watford fans were on the pitch, in his face, he was a loser and the worst kind.

The next season he returned to that ground, focussed and nothing of the previous season affected him. This showed why he is a top class athlete, reacting to adversity with the mental strength that others do not have.

Massive credit to James. He may well have a few bad games, or he may get replaced one day. But that strength of character he has shown here shows why he deserves to be where he currently is. 

7 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

Shows the strength of mind to be a top class footballer, or for that matter the strength needed to succeed in anything.

Most people give in at the first hurdle, but the mental strength to carry on despite countless knock backs.

Footballers often get bad press, but most people would fold and this is a great example of a sportsman wanting to succeed. Getting knocked down, getting back up, getting knocked down, getting back up.

Another example of that winning mentality that I will always think of is Anthony Knockaert v Watford. He missed the penalty and our season was over. The Watford fans were on the pitch, in his face, he was a loser and the worst kind.

The next season he returned to that ground, focussed and nothing of the previous season affected him. This showed why he is a top class athlete, reacting to adversity with the mental strength that others do not have.

Massive credit to James. He may well have a few bad games, or he may get replaced one day. But that strength of character he has shown here shows why he deserves to be where he currently is. 

Couldn't agree more. Matty has had more than his share of pain and setbacks. Having him back though could prove to be one of our best "signings" of the summer.

12 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Love the man. An inspiration. Wish people like @chicagofox would stop criticising him for no reason at all

He shouldn't be immune from any criticism, just because he has had an injury and he might be a nice chap. 

He's worked hard and earnt himself probably around an £8m contract. It shows that the hard work has paid off so good luck to the lad.  

He needs to show that he is worth that on the pitch now though as this is what counts. 

Archived