Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Chelsea post match 1-2

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

But he wasn't playing that role at all yesterday. He was playing as a target man/link up man in which case of course his ability to find his man is relevant! And him constantly losing the ball when he wad supposed to be the creative link up man was frustrating.

He had one shot all game and won one header all game and wasn't constantly in goal scoring positions his average position was with the midfield - he was clearly playing as the link up man.

Again. I'm not sure he's got the attributes to succeed in this role but he's never going to be the main striker while Vardy's here so he has to learn to br creative and try to adapt to the target man role rather than just being a goal poacher if he's ever going to succeed here.

Screenshot_20170910-214236.jpg

He actually is a target man and pretty good at that. He's a striker being played out of position, of course he won't be great at doing what he's not made for. Same would happen with any other player. Should he learn to be creative (lol) and achieve a 100% pass completion so you can be happy? Or more realistically just be played in his natural position, depending on the opponent, to be really efficient? Nacho is the 10 you're searching for. 

For your information we had 2 shots the whole effing game, one of them being a penalty. Just to put some perspective.

9 hours ago, Danny Clender said:

Indeed. It's a tough chew, but he needs to move on from his price tag, it's really not worth it.

Not sure if you agree, but there could be a way to make it work, but there's no way we'd build the team around Slim.

Well, he's too old for a start and so far has done nothing to suggest he's going to get any better. His price tag was not his fault though, it was more fool us for paying it.

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

I agree entirely. And my point is that some people are entirely disrespectful.

Agreed . Some are abler than others in terms of how they put their point of view, but I feel we should never be afraid to go against the grain sometimes even if it's a minority view. To all sing from the same hymnsheet would be very boring indeed. 

Just now, Bunyip said:

Agreed . Some are abler than others in terms of how they put their point of view, but I feel we should never be afraid to go against the grain sometimes even if it's a minority view. To all sing from the same hymnsheet would be very boring indeed. 

Once again I agree entirely. It is all in how it is presented.

37 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

He actually is a target man and pretty good at that. He's a striker being played out of position, of course he won't be great at doing what he's not made for. Same would happen with any other player. Should he learn to be creative (lol) and achieve a 100% pass completion so you can be happy? Or more realistically just be played in his natural position, depending on the opponent, to be really efficient? Nacho is the 10 you're searching for. 

For your information we had 2 shots the whole effing game, one of them being a penalty. Just to put some perspective.

But he's not been good playing the target man for us. He's always been better when playing and the main striker or as a goal poacher than a target man but Vardy is better than him at that so he needs to learn to be better at a target man.

He absolutely needs to be better in control and creating chances and have a better passing completion rate and winning headers playing the target man role yes! Chance creation, holding up the ball, link up play and creativity is the main point and role of a target man and Slimani just wasn't very good at any of that against Chelsea.

And we had 8 shots all game. Not sure where you got 2 from?

Just now, Sampson said:

But he's not been good playing the target man for us. He's always been better when playing and the main striker or as a goal poacher than a target man but Vardy is better than him at that so he needs to learn to be better at a target man.

He absolutely needs to be better in control and creating chances and have a better passing completion rate and winning headers playing the target man role yes! Chance creation, holding up the ball, link up play and creativity is the main point and role of a target man and Slimani just wasn't very good at any of that against Chelsea.

We had 2 shots first half and 6 shots second half.

Just now, Sampson said:

I meant 2 shots on target. 

For the rest, let us just agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

But he wasn't playing that role at all yesterday. He was playing as a target man/link up man in which case of course his ability to find his man is relevant! And him constantly losing the ball when he was supposed to be the creative link up man was frustrating and made his role as a target man pretty much useless.

He had one shot all game and won one header all game and wasn't constantly in goal scoring positions his average position was with the midfield - he was clearly playing as the link up man and his passing and heading and creative stats make for horrible reading for the performance of a target man and it was just as frustraing to watch as the stats suggested.

Again. I'm not sure he's got the attributes to succeed in this role so it's not necessarily his fault but he's never going to be the main striker while Vardy's here so he has to learn to br creative and try to adapt to the target man role rather than just being a goal poacher if he's ever going to succeed here.

Screenshot_20170910-214236.jpg

Looks like his actual position was holding hands with Mahrez on the halfway line which isn't surprising...

First have to acknowledge the good things Mahrez did. A sublime ball to Vardy who might have done better with it tbh, and the opportunity he gave to Slimani. Also, tackling back a bit towards the end of the match.

But how many times did he either miscontrol the ball (very unMahrez like), or hold on to it too long, run into trouble and lose possession?

Also, he looks almost pathetically weak at times. I know strength isn't his thing, but the PL demands that top players have at least a basic amount of it. Compare him for example to Hazard who is much harder to shake off the ball.

He can obviously do better, so I assume at least part of these sub-par displays are due to him wanting to be elsewhere. Should start Gray for a few matches and sub for Mahrez if he doesn't improve. We need to find out if he can take over from Mahrez or not, otherwise sell both in Jan and replace.

11 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

Even if he didn't sink it in people are slating him for creating the ONLY real chance we got in the game, besides the penalty which came from Azpi's shitty backpass. Unbelievable.

Well I'm certainly not. Like I said earlier, fair play to him for creating the chance and being determined to get the follow up.  He just, like all our players at the minute, needs to improve his decision making. 

On 9/10/2017 at 15:48, SuperMike said:

No chance whatsoever! 3 points from the first 4 games and traditionally awful when it gets cold (do we ever win in november / december / january?). The psychology of playing 'catch-up' from the very beginning of the season is so harsh - at some point the players will look at the table and think ' duhh, even a win today and we'll still be well adrift....'

I'm not criticising the team, the squad, the manager, the formation or any particular players - I've just written this season off already due to the fixture-list computer (and FiFa!).

Bring on 2018/19  :scarf:

What an utterly desperate time it is to be a  Leicester fan.....

19 hours ago, Countryfox said:

And on the 'Hows your day'thread Col has just said ..     "so been walking the dogs in the beach, then prepared and ate a smashing roast dinner with thick gravy and roasted tatties." ....    well you can all fook off !    cus I'm home alone and had a ham bloody sandwich ! ...    :(     (And the bread was stale).

Sorry to hear that.

?

6 hours ago, foxhateram said:

Well I'm certainly not. Like I said earlier, fair play to him for creating the chance and being determined to get the follow up.  He just, like all our players at the minute, needs to improve his decision making. 

Absolutely, that goes without saying. Just don't get why people are so hell bent on dismissing everything he does and not giving him the credit he deserves. 

But the real problem is the midfield, everything starts from there.

Just for all you statistical saddo's out there (like me), the attendance on Saturday was actually 31923, and not 30923 as originally quoted everywhere.

No idea why the '0' got changed to a '1', as it was pretty obvious it was a sellout ... apart from the usual odd seat here and there.

Anyway, the club have corrected the website.  It now says 31,923

On 09/09/2017 at 17:02, AjcW said:

Could be worse. We could be Bournemouth... just don’t tell Fox92 his best mate Eddie is becoming more of a fraud every day

Okay, I'll bite.... He ain't my best mate you just seem to have a weird obsession with him.

He guided Bournemouth, yes Bournemouth, to the Premier League. They could get relegated with 0 points this season but to win the second tier and then stay up with them (including finishing 9th) is a superb achievement. I suggest you look up the definition of "fraud". 

16 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Okay, I'll bite.... He ain't my best mate you just seem to have a weird obsession with him.

He guided Bournemouth, yes Bournemouth, to the Premier League. They could get relegated with 0 points this season but to win the second tier and then stay up with them (including finishing 9th) is a superb achievement. I suggest you look up the definition of "fraud". 

Ahh i'm only messing!

I don't have a weird obsession though, I made one thread questioning his ability based on the fact he failed his one venture away from Bournemouth and after spending even more money this summer is seemingly failing at Bournemouth.

My issue is with hyped up players and managers just because they're English or play attractive football.

Even though they'd be an unattractive prospect, Pulis and Dyche should be ahead of him in the England queue but they're not as approachable as him so fall off there.

And the 'Little Bournemouth' excuse isn't valid for ever... he's using premier league money now, so far not very wisely and I reject the idea that he'll struggle to get people to move down there, it's a beautiful place, perfect for footballers and not that difficult to get to London.

He did brilliantly to get them up, of course he did, but there has to come a point where you judge him along with other Premier League teams and managers. Dyche has done the same with Burnley and doesn't get the same wankfest surrounding him because the football isn't as 'sexy'

I'm not taking away his achievements though... amazing to get them where they are, but he needs to start realising that even Guardiola/Zidane etc know how to grind out a result and go a bit more direct or get balls in behind to get a win! 

8 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Ahh i'm only messing!

I don't have a weird obsession though, I made one thread questioning his ability based on the fact he failed his one venture away from Bournemouth and after spending even more money this summer is seemingly failing at Bournemouth.

My issue is with hyped up players and managers just because they're English or play attractive football.

Even though they'd be an unattractive prospect, Pulis and Dyche should be ahead of him in the England queue but they're not as approachable as him so fall off there.

And the 'Little Bournemouth' excuse isn't valid for ever... he's using premier league money now, so far not very wisely and I reject the idea that he'll struggle to get people to move down there, it's a beautiful place, perfect for footballers and not that difficult to get to London.

He did brilliantly to get them up, of course he did, but there has to come a point where you judge him along with other Premier League teams and managers. Dyche has done the same with Burnley and doesn't get the same wankfest surrounding him because the football isn't as 'sexy'

I'm not taking away his achievements though... amazing to get them where they are, but he needs to start realising that even Guardiola/Zidane etc know how to grind out a result and go a bit more direct or get balls in behind to get a win! 

I'm glad you're messing because you are one of my fave posters we seem to agree a lot on different subjects but I went off on one then. Twice actually (in another thread too, different subject).

Yeah I agree with the "little" thing given how much they've spent - Sky and the media  never seem to say they spent £3mill on Wilson when they went up. But I do believe he's overachieved because it is Bournemouth. They aren't a big club with a big history.

I like the football they play. Always like seeing them live when we play them.

Agree RE Dyche. Another manager who's overachieved really. Burnley do have a better history than Bournemouth but nowadays where Burnley spent so long outside the top flight (aside from under Coyle) I think Dyche has done very well to keep them up. And not only that, get relegated and recover to come back first time.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I'm glad you're messing because you are one of my fave posters we seem to agree a lot on different subjects but I went off on one then. Twice actually (in another thread too, different subject).

Yeah I agree with the "little" thing given how much they've spent - Sky and the media  never seem to say they spent £3mill on Wilson when they went up. But I do believe he's overachieved because it is Bournemouth. They aren't a big club with a big history.

I like the football they play. Always like seeing them live when we play them.

Agree RE Dyche. Another manager who's overachieved really. Burnley do have a better history than Bournemouth but nowadays where Burnley spent so long outside the top flight (aside from under Coyle) I think Dyche has done very well to keep them up. And not only that, get relegated and recover to come back first time.

I personally think Howe is slightly over-rated. If you consider they have spend 104 million euros net (according to Transfer Market) over the past five years but their back four still contains Simon Francis and Charlie Daniels, then the club isn't developing. 

Dyche is under-rated when you consider Burnley have spent 43 million euros net over the past five years but developed England internationals.

49 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I personally think Howe is slightly over-rated. If you consider they have spend 104 million euros net (according to Transfer Market) over the past five years but their back four still contains Simon Francis and Charlie Daniels, then the club isn't developing. 

Dyche is under-rated when you consider Burnley have spent 43 million euros net over the past five years but developed England internationals.

Agree RE money. He's always spent a bit, even in the Championship. They finished 9th last season though and I don't think that's anything to look down at - they're only Bournemouth regardless of money spent. 

He was really hard on himself last weekend in his post match press conference. Maybe he thinks/knows how much he media big him up too. Perhaps it's because he's English and we severely lack good English managers?

Archived