Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

6 minutes ago, bovril said:

True, though not really unpopular.

Hmm, felt like he was flavour of the month after basically shouting down the microphone for 5 minutes in the Roma Barcelona game. Pundits and journos seem to love him so I'd assumed most fans followed suit.

I think most people laugh at Peter Drury, rather than enjoy his commentary. FootballCliches (probably my favourite account on twitter) has a thread on some of his most ridiculous commentary 

3 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

The more I hear Gareth Southgate speak, the more I like him. I’m not having this ‘FA yes man’ tag that’s been levelled at him.

He’s the brightest England manager we’ve had for a long time and even if we get knocked out at the group stages I’d still keep him on.

The 'FA yes man' term is annoying alright. As is 'jobs for the boys', both absolute cringe.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

The more I hear Gareth Southgate speak, the more I like him. I’m not having this ‘FA yes man’ tag that’s been levelled at him.

He’s the brightest England manager we’ve had for a long time and even if we get knocked out at the group stages I’d still keep him on.

Whilst I like him as well and want him to stay as manager and build something with this England squad, if we were to get knocked out in a group consisting of Tunisia and Panama I'd find it difficult to argue his case...

2014 was an awful result but at least our group was *somewhat* challenging with Italy, Uruguay and an in-form Costa Rica. Going out in the group stages again this year - considering the opposition - would be worse, imo.

problem is FA said they'll keep him regardless of how badly we do, why are our managers never under pressure to deliver anymore? I don't buy this love in for Southgate at all, end of the day he's still done absolutely nothing to warrant to job and playing Walker at right centre back doesn't make him a genius.

On 09/06/2018 at 23:36, Carl the Llama said:

In many ways I agree with that sentiment, though I do still love a lot of Stones songs.  Imo they're like a good version of the Beatles, definitely a better ratio of good songs to bad ones in any case because let's face it the Beatles have like 10 good tracks at a push while the Stones have closer to 20.

That's a rather generous estimate. Shit band and shit people to boot (good old Lennon, the wife-beating terrorist sympathiser)

25 minutes ago, Xen said:

Whilst I like him as well and want him to stay as manager and build something with this England squad, if we were to get knocked out in a group consisting of Tunisia and Panama I'd find it difficult to argue his case...

2014 was an awful result but at least our group was *somewhat* challenging with Italy, Uruguay and an in-form Costa Rica. Going out in the group stages again this year - considering the opposition - would be worse, imo.

We’ve got the youngest and most inexperienced squad at the WC (I think). It’s pretty clear that Southgate is building for the future, hence the relative low expectations this time around. 

I’d like him to stay on regardless of how we do and be given the chance to build something for 20/22. I think this is the best opportunity we’ve had for years to build as close to a club culture as we can with England.

16 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

problem is FA said they'll keep him regardless of how badly we do, why are our managers never under pressure to deliver anymore? I don't buy this love in for Southgate at all, end of the day he's still done absolutely nothing to warrant to job and playing Walker at right centre back doesn't make him a genius.

I don’t think it’s a ‘love in’ at all, just a refreshing change from the shite we’ve had before. Nobody is saying he’s a genius but I want to see him given the chance to build something. If we bin him after the WC we’re right back to square one again and that’s not getting us anywhere.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

We’ve got the youngest and most inexperienced squad at the WC (I think). It’s pretty clear that Southgate is building for the future, hence the relative low expectations this time around. 

I’d like him to stay on regardless of how we do and be given the chance to build something for 20/22. I think this is the best opportunity we’ve had for years to build as close to a club culture as we can with England.

I don’t think it’s a ‘love in’ at all, just a refreshing change from the shite we’ve had before. Nobody is saying he’s a genius but I want to see him given the chance to build something. If we bin him after the WC we’re right back to square one again and that’s not getting us anywhere.

Completely agree, Izzy.

Though I'm quietly hopeful that England might do OK. There are promising signs already.

We look more comfortable in possession in tight area than we have for many years. Not just playing square passes in deep positions and then looking out of our depth when we have less space, as in the past.

We also have some pace and penetration - and a few different players who are goal threats in different situations.

Inexperience may prove to be our downfall this time. But in the past, it has often been the newer or younger players who have performed well (Lineker/Beardsley 1986, Gascoigne/Platt 1990, Owen 1998) - and the "established big names" who haven't performed.

We can look a bit vulnerable defensively and will have an inexperienced keeper. I suspect that may be what gets us knocked out whenever.

But if we can do better in possession against good teams (which I think we can), that could avoid our defence cracking under excessive pressure - and we have attackers to hurt any team.

Too often in the past we've ended up losing after "brave rearguard actions". Better quality in possession could avoid that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bovril said:

The Killing Moon is the greatest single in English pop music history. 

I like the overstatement! Personally, whilst I think it a brilliant song, I've never held it in the reverence that others do. In fact, there are other Bunnymen tunes I prefer. So I'm not now sure who has the unpopular opinion! 

Edited by CarbonVirtine

10 minutes ago, bovril said:

The Killing Moon is the greatest single in English pop music history. 

Oasis play derivative shite. Music for people who don't like music.

Hmmmm! Agree with your gist, but not your specifics.

Oasis were certainly derivative - but more MOR than shite.

I assume you mean "The Killing Moon" by Echo & the Bunnymen?

If so, decent song (better than anything Oasis did, agreed)....but not even the best Bunnymen single: "The Cutter", "Seven Seas", "Bring on the dancing horses"....

But surely everyone knows that the greatest single in English pop music history is a tie between "Whole wide world" by Wreckless Eric and "Memphis, Egypt" by The Mekons?! :blink:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I'm not getting into it because I've been told before that I always make every thread about the Beatles but, as I'm sure you're aware, it's not as all I just like defending them.

The Doctor always banging on about not liking them. Which is fair. But to call them "shit" is just moronic. And I'll leave it there.

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

I'm not getting into it because I've been told before that I always make every thread about the Beatles but, as I'm sure you're aware, it's not as all I just like defending them.

The Doctor always banging on about not liking them. Which is fair. But to call them "shit" is just moronic. And I'll leave it there.

But they are pretty shit tbf.  They're influential and they did a lot for the music industry and British music in general but their songs are still pretty wank.

On the greatest UK single discussion:  In 'recent' times View From the Afternoon, slightly less recently you have to consider Dreaming of You, then even less recently again Brimful of Asha comes into the mix, finally and taking it way back either Whole Lotta Love or D'yer Maker.  I guess it depends on your age and taste but the correct answer to which is the best UK single is one of those songs.

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

But they are pretty shit tbf.  They're influential and they did a lot for the music industry and British music in general but their songs are still pretty wank.

On the greatest UK single discussion:  In 'recent' times View From the Afternoon, slightly less recently you have to consider Dreaming of You, then even less recently again Brimful of Asha comes into the mix, finally and taking it way back either Whole Lotta Love or D'yer Maker.  I guess it depends on your age and taste but the correct answer to which is the best UK single is one of those songs.

Obviously I'm a massive fan as you all know but I'd consider Let It Be, Yesterday, A Day In The Life, Something, All You Need Is Love and Strawberry Fields to be among the greatest songs of all time. The latter of which was way ahead of it's time.

As for greatest UK single, I'd go for either Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane, I Can't Get No Satisfaction, Careless Whisper or Waterloo Sunset. I think Waterloo Sunset is one of the most complete songs of all time. True perfection.

The View From The Afternoon, like most of the Arctics debut album, is just standard stuff about nightlife. Lyrically, Turner is much better on Suck It and See and AM. I'd consider Cornerstone, from Humbug, to be better than any song of their first and second album. Lyrically one of his best songs, as is Arabella from AM.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Scottish Independence would affect Brexit, and such a thing would make those who voted Brexit regret doing so.

I support all countries/regions rights to independence if the majority want it. Globalisation needs to be stopped, at all costs.

12 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

We've got a group of average to shit players. Winning games is about players, not managers.

We shouldn't be expecting to do any more than get close to escaping the group.

3 minutes ago, woollett the bullet said:

I love it when it rains , 

walking in it , watching it , listening to it.

Not sure why  , but find it very relaxing and cleansing - much prefer it to a hot , bright sunny day. 

I think walking in a summer thunderstorm is one of the great pleasures in life.

• Like 1