Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Just watching the football at the minute and made me think are Brazil all they are made out to be? I didn't see the 70 side or the 82 side but in my lifetime, I've never been wowed by them. Every tournament comes along and the commentators and pundits are knocking one out over them but they've never seemed above anyone else to me in comparison to the Spain 10,12 side and Barca around that time. I don't dispute they have some brilliant individuals, I just think they don' deserve to be put on this pedestal. Great goal coutinho though.

3 hours ago, Erinjack said:

Just watching the football at the minute and made me think are Brazil all they are made out to be? I didn't see the 70 side or the 82 side but in my lifetime, I've never been wowed by them. Every tournament comes along and the commentators and pundits are knocking one out over them but they've never seemed above anyone else to me in comparison to the Spain 10,12 side and Barca around that time. I don't dispute they have some brilliant individuals, I just think they don' deserve to be put on this pedestal. Great goal coutinho though.

They have won the most world cups so yeah they should be on a pedestal 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Erinjack said:

The recent Brasil sides are not on a par with the 60s-80s side.

Also the world plays better games to combat and match them...and there are a lot of individual "brasilian style" players across the world now (CR, Messi, etc)

On 12/06/2018 at 17:36, Izzy Muzzett said:

The more I hear Gareth Southgate speak, the more I like him. I’m not having this ‘FA yes man’ tag that’s been levelled at him.

He’s the brightest England manager we’ve had for a long time and even if we get knocked out at the group stages I’d still keep him on.

He doesn't use Vardy over Alli, Sterling, Rashford, welbeck ... he isn't very bright

On 13/06/2018 at 12:14, Izzy Muzzett said:

We’ve got the youngest and most inexperienced squad at the WC (I think). It’s pretty clear that Southgate is building for the future, hence the relative low expectations this time around. 

I’d like him to stay on regardless of how we do and be given the chance to build something for 20/22. I think this is the best opportunity we’ve had for years to build as close to a club culture as we can with England.

I don’t think it’s a ‘love in’ at all, just a refreshing change from the shite we’ve had before. Nobody is saying he’s a genius but I want to see him given the chance to build something. If we bin him after the WC we’re right back to square one again and that’s not getting us anywhere.

I think this idea of building for the future is the most stupid idea in international football. You should pick the best players at the time of the tournament. Picking a young player now and thinking it'll help the team in 4 years is daft.

8 minutes ago, FIF said:

I think this idea of building for the future is the most stupid idea in international football. You should pick the best players at the time of the tournament. Picking a young player now and thinking it'll help the team in 4 years is daft.

Half agree with that. Building for the future is not a bad thing but when do you stop building and try to start winning?

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

Half agree with that. Building for the future is not a bad thing but when do you stop building and try to start winning?

Playing kids in the national team isn't really building for the future though is it? They get a bit of experience - but they can get more playing european football for their teams - and maybe they get used to some other players but then again does a match every few months really do that? And of course the players are never the same from one tournament to another and why would you play lesser players in order to hopefully do better years down the line.

Makes no sense to me at all.

If your most efficient striker or no.10 or CB is 34 then play him and get the best result possible. The youngsters will either come through or not dependant on how good they are and how well their team's coach them.

11 minutes ago, FIF said:

He doesn't use Vardy over Alli, Sterling, Rashford, welbeck ... he isn't very bright

You wouldn’t say that if you were a Spurs, Man City, Man Utd or Arsenal fan though would you?

11 minutes ago, FIF said:

Everyone knows we aren’t going to win the WC this year. He’s picked a young group of players that will be the nucleus of his squad for the next few years. In 4 years time when they’re all at their peak and have hopefully created an international club culture, we might have half a chance.

P.S. Who else could he have picked that was more experienced anyway? All the old guard have retired so it’s forced his hand really..

4 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

You wouldn’t say that if you were a Spurs, Man City, Man Utd or Arsenal fan though would you?

Everyone knows we aren’t going to win the WC this year. He’s picked a young group of players that will be the nucleus of his squad for the next few years. In 4 years time when they’re all at their peak and have hopefully created an international club culture, we might have half a chance.

P.S. Who else could he have picked that was more experienced anyway? All the old guard have retired so it’s forced his hand really..

1. I would. Do you really think that anyone other than Southgate and his mother think that Welbeck is a better player than Vardy? Vardy has a better record than all of the players mentioned.

2. We're never going to win the world cup so does that mean we should fill our team with the best 8 year olds with English nationality?

Your thinking is simply flawed in my opinion. look at Germany  they pick the best players at the time of the championships and they win. They've had 34 year old strikers in their teams - that's not thinking of the future is it?

18 minutes ago, FIF said:

Playing kids in the national team isn't really building for the future though is it? They get a bit of experience - but they can get more playing european football for their teams - and maybe they get used to some other players but then again does a match every few months really do that? And of course the players are never the same from one tournament to another and why would you play lesser players in order to hopefully do better years down the line.

Makes no sense to me at all.

If your most efficient striker or no.10 or CB is 34 then play him and get the best result possible. The youngsters will either come through or not dependant on how good they are and how well their team's coach them.

What's the point in persisting with players that have already failed? Eventually the older players will need to be replaced. Sticking a few young uns in is no bad thing in the long run, but I agree, when you're in a tournament you should be trying to win it, not experimenting.

21 minutes ago, FIF said:

1. I would. Do you really think that anyone other than Southgate and his mother think that Welbeck is a better player than Vardy? Vardy has a better record than all of the players mentioned.

2. We're never going to win the world cup so does that mean we should fill our team with the best 8 year olds with English nationality?

Your thinking is simply flawed in my opinion. look at Germany  they pick the best players at the time of the championships and they win. They've had 34 year old strikers in their teams - that's not thinking of the future is it?

It’s not my thinking that’s flawed at all, I’m just guessing what Southgate’s logic is.

And why pick 34 year olds just because Germany do? (look how slow they looked v Mexico btw) Should he have picked Crouch and Defoe instead then?

Southgates the Manager and paid to do what he thinks is best for the country. I think he comes across as bright, the players seem to like him and the press/pundits all seem to agree he’s the right man for the job.

I trust him to do the right thing long term and I’m bored of changing England managers all the time. 

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Yeah but they could name Miroslav Klose now and he'd still win the golden boot at a canter

21 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Pick the best players end of. We are there to win not experiment. Thats what friendlies are for. 

If lcfc can win the league then england can win the world cup. 

Steady on, Jatt.

That's some powerful weed you guys have legalised.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Pick the best players end of. We are there to win not experiment. Thats what friendlies are for. 

My thoughts exactly. For as long as I can remember (I'm 30) England have been picking youngsters over potentially better, more experienced players with the intention of building for the future. When is the future coming?

1 hour ago, Jattdogg said:

I think most experts agree that Southgate has picked the best players - they just happen to be mostly young and inexperienced.

Unless you can think of any best players he hasn't picked?

29 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

My thoughts exactly. For as long as I can remember (I'm 30) England have been picking youngsters over potentially better, more experienced players with the intention of building for the future. When is the future coming?

Who are these potentially better, more experienced players he could have picked this time around?

The general consensus seems to be that he got the squad about right.

4 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I think most experts agree that Southgate has picked the best players - they just happen to be mostly young and inexperienced.

Unless you can think of any best players he hasn't picked?

Who are these potentially better, more experienced players he could have picked this time around?

The general consensus seems to be that he got the squad about right.

I don't know about the squad, but I think he picked the wrong team against Tunisia.

Vardy would have had a field day against that high back line.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Buce said:

I don't know about the squad, but I think he picked the wrong team against Tunisia.

Vardy would have had a field day against that high back line.

I thought their back line was very deep - especially second half. My guess is Southgate thought there wasn't enough room behind them so didn't bother playing Vardy.

But I know fvck all about football bro as you know :thumbup:

Edited by Izzy Muzzett

On 19/06/2018 at 18:49, Izzy Muzzett said:

I thought their back line was very deep - especially second half. My guess is Southgate thought there wasn't enough room behind them so didn't bother playing Vardy.

But I know fvck all about football bro as you know :thumbup:

I agree with this, the deep defensive line doesn’t help JVs claim to start. Hence why he’ll be on the bench Vs Panama.

Belgium however ...... 

or any big team that wants to press high

• Like 1

On 17/06/2018 at 19:23, Erinjack said:

In my lifetime, the 2002 World Cup. That squad.... Cafu, Lucio, Carlos, Gilberto, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka..... they were all World Class players. Cafu is still the greatest right back in my lifetime and Ronaldo is probably the greatest striker.

They won the '94 World Cup, lost in the final in '98 and won it again in 2002... unreal.