Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Dunno if it's an unpopular opinion or not but this show was pretty popular when it started and I remember enjoying the first couple of series back in uni however I've just seen a clip on the BBC showreel and Not Going Out is utterly dreadful. 

On 24/06/2018 at 16:08, don_danbury said:

there are many different craft beers so how can you say they're disgusting? most of the mass produced beers barely have any taste at all.

Does my head in when people say craft beers taste like shit. There are so many varieties with so many tastes like you say. It would make more sense if someone said “I hate OTT English double American style ipas” 

I would class anything that isn’t mass produced as craft and that can include pretty much every style from lager to stout to Trappist tripels. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Does my head in when people say craft beers taste like shit. There are so many varieties with so many tastes like you say. It would make more sense if someone said “I hate OTT English double American style ipas” 

I would class anything that isn’t mass produced as craft and that can include pretty much every style from lager to stout to Trappist tripels. 

This is kind of the problem with the term for me, it can mean anything depending on who's saying it and which beer they're talking about.  For the most part I agree with the mass-produced definition but I'd argue there's also an element of novelty to the term in my opinion so I wouldn't throw the Trappists in there because they're established brewers so to speak.

I don't have to answer the phone.

Most people think this rude. My wife thinks I'm weird. The phone rings, I don't answer it because I don't want to talk to anyone, so I let it ring. Note, I'm not screening calls, it's not personal.  If it's the landline, my wife will often answer it - but I'm 'out' if it's for me. I've done this for years, long before I was married. I simply feel no compulsion to answer the phone.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CarbonVirtine said:

Most people think this rude. My wife thinks I'm weird. The phone rings, I don't answer it because I don't want to talk to anyone, so I let it ring. Note, I'm not screening calls, it's not personal.  If it's the landline, my wife will often answer it - but I'm 'out' if it's for me. I've done this for years, long before I was married. I simply feel no compulsion to answer the phone.

Totally with you mate - I'm the same.

If it's urgent they'll leave a message and I'll return it when I can be bothered. No biggie.

3 minutes ago, CarbonVirtine said:

You're like my wife, and she really annoys me. whenever the phone rings it's "it'll be for you", half the time I have to pick up the phone, even if she's stood next to it, and it's someone trying to sell me stuff.

15 minutes ago, CarbonVirtine said:

11 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Totally with you mate - I'm the same.

If it's urgent they'll leave a message and I'll return it when I can be bothered. No biggie.

I live for the button that silences my ring tone but lets the call ring out so I can ignore it in peace to get back to them later without the person at the other end thinking I've hung up on them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Find it quite sad. People are missing out on all the good beers that are available out there. most of which you won't find in your local shops. The thing is people are lazy so they don't want to go looking or step away from what they would normally buy. 

18 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I live for the button that silences my ring tone but lets the call ring out so I can ignore it in peace to get back to them later without the person at the other end thinking I've hung up on them.

Some phones will silence without hanging up if you press the volume down button while it's ringing, some will do the same if you put the phone face down on a surface, try those techniques

I also am not bothered about answering the phone. If it's a mate or family I'll answer it, can't remember the last time I answered a phone from an unknown number (unless I am waiting to hear back from a job offer/selling something/etc), as it's 99% of the time just bullshit. PPI, calling about "your accident", "will you answer this survey about our service" fvck off I haven't got time for your shit

2 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Some phones will silence without hanging up if you press the volume down button while it's ringing, some will do the same if you put the phone face down on a surface, try those techniques

I also am not bothered about answering the phone. If it's a mate or family I'll answer it, can't remember the last time I answered a phone from an unknown number (unless I am waiting to hear back from a job offer/selling something/etc), as it's 99% of the time just bullshit. PPI, calling about "your accident", "will you answer this survey about our service" fvck off I haven't got time for your shit

Do you know that you can register with the telephone preference service and stop that shit?

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Yeah that's what I'm talking about.  Love that feature.

53 minutes ago, Buce said:

Do you know that you can register with the telephone preference service and stop that shit?

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

Yeah I've heard of that, got a feeling it won't make a jot of difference though. After all the GDPR malarky I'm still getting loads of stuff I never signed up for, in fact I think I'm actually getting fewer emails I want to see as reputable companies are more cautious in what they send out and to who

7 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Yeah I've heard of that, got a feeling it won't make a jot of difference though. After all the GDPR malarky I'm still getting loads of stuff I never signed up for, in fact I think I'm actually getting fewer emails I want to see as reputable companies are more cautious in what they send out and to who

It makes a huge difference.

I used to get shed loads of unsolicited calls - day and night - but since I registered they have stopped completely. Companies are obliged to check the database before cold calling and can be liable for fines of up to half a million pounds if they continue to harass you.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

On 27/06/2018 at 19:21, Unabomber said:

On 27/06/2018 at 19:53, Carl the Llama said:

This is kind of the problem with the term for me, it can mean anything depending on who's saying it and which beer they're talking about.  For the most part I agree with the mass-produced definition but I'd argue there's also an element of novelty to the term in my opinion so I wouldn't throw the Trappists in there because they're established brewers so to speak.

I agree to the extent that labelling such a huge variety of anything as shit is stupid, but what counts as mass produced? 

Take brewdog for example. They claim they are craft beer, but you can buy a load of their stuff in any supermarket you want and most pubs too. Is it still craft if you can buy it from Tesco Express??

Surely there is a better barometer for what is craft and what is not than simply volume sold...

5 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

I agree to the extent that labelling such a huge variety of anything as shit is stupid, but what counts as mass produced? 

Take brewdog for example. They claim they are craft beer, but you can buy a load of their stuff in any supermarket you want and most pubs too. Is it still craft if you can buy it from Tesco Express??

Surely there is a better barometer for what is craft and what is not than simply volume sold...

Funny you mention Brewdog because I very nearly included a line in that comment saying the difference between craft beer and regular commercial beer is the difference between early Brewdog and the Brewdog we have today.

4 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Funny you mention Brewdog because I very nearly included a line in that comment saying the difference between craft beer and regular commercial beer is the difference between early Brewdog and the Brewdog we have today.

Has anything really changed other than the amount they've sold though? 

I can't claim to know much about them really but they still offer a wide range of beers, a lot of which are far less popular than the two or three that are everywhere.