Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

36 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Has anything really changed other than the amount they've sold though? 

I can't claim to know much about them really but they still offer a wide range of beers, a lot of which are far less popular than the two or three that are everywhere.

For me craft implies a small-scale operation and has no bearing on whether the beer's good or not.  Just because it no longer classes as craft beer doesn't mean it's any less valid to like it but some people treat the term itself as a badge of honour, resulting in the company's savvy marketers employing it as a hipster calling card to reassure the consumer that they're not drinking something boring and mainstream and to their credit they're probably the best current example of a company capitalising on that image, that call to counter-culture lifestyle like the Che Guevara t-shirt of beers. Do I dislike them because of it like some uber hipster?  No, I quite like their beers when I get the occasion to drink them (one of my mates swears by them so I always get treated to one of their brews when I'm round his and I've not had cause to complain yet) but personally I tend to avoid it purely on a cost-analysis basis because it's easy enough to find equally decent beer at far less markup, I mean damn my local Tesco sells Delirium Tremens for les than a small can of Punk lol 

Graduation ceremonies are stupid overpriced costume parties. Like funerals, they're really for the benefit of the attendees.

You can cook very decent healthy and reasonably tasty food from raw ingredients in the microwave. 

All children's genitals should not be messed with unless medically necessary. FGM is not intrinsically the worst type. It's the severity of each individual case that matters.

Caffeine is the most socially acceptable substance addiction and is not necessary for daily functioning if you have not made yourself dependent on it.

Owning a car is more hassle than it's worth. The stress of unexpected breakdown bills, traffic, reckless drivers, parking etc. Might as well just get a cab. Unless you have children.

Having children is more hassle than its worth. Unless it's your life purpose or something. I don't understand it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Funny you mention Brewdog because I very nearly included a line in that comment saying the difference between craft beer and regular commercial beer is the difference between early Brewdog and the Brewdog we have today.

I see where you're coming from on this, but I don't think there is much difference, mate, tbh.

Brewdog are definitely craft brewers in my book - they have just been ridiculously popular - more by accident than any great desire to take over the world. Same philosophy as when they started (it's all about the beer).

Tesco ran some beer competitions back in the day, when the Brewdog guys were still brewing in their parents garage - they came first, second, third and fourth with the 4 beers they entered. Of course Tesco are going to stock their beer.

They've also given all their recipes away so that home brewers can try and replicate/adapt/improve on them and create their own masterpieces! 

Blazed a trail and earned the right to be classified as craft beer for me. :beer:

1 hour ago, Milo said:

I see where you're coming from on this, but I don't think there is much difference, mate, tbh.

Brewdog are definitely craft brewers in my book - they have just been ridiculously popular - more by accident than any great desire to take over the world. Same philosophy as when they started (it's all about the beer).

Tesco ran some beer competitions back in the day, when the Brewdog guys were still brewing in their parents garage - they came first, second, third and fourth with the 4 beers they entered. Of course Tesco are going to stock their beer.

They've also given all their recipes away so that home brewers can try and replicate/adapt/improve on them and create their own masterpieces! 

Blazed a trail and earned the right to be classified as craft beer for me. :beer:

Trust me, Tesco have invested and supported Brewdog heavily and not just by stocking their products.

2 hours ago, Milo said:

Like I say, it's good beer and they've played a blinder on the marketing front but why does it matter whether or not the craft label applies?  I'm not sure what the 'of course Tesco sell it' point's about either, I was just saying that you can get high quality, imported beer at a better price there... I guess that's the answer to my opening question though: It's their USP and drives sales despite being relatively poor value for money.

34 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I much prefer Lou Reed's music to David Bowie's.  X

I really don't understand the fascination with Bowie. The only song I like of his is Modern Love. 

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I really don't understand the fascination with Bowie. The only song I like of his is Modern Love. 

It's 'cos you're an eighties child...you missed his best bits lol

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Like I say, it's good beer and they've played a blinder on the marketing front but why does it matter whether or not the craft label applies?  I'm not sure what the 'of course Tesco sell it' point's about either, I was just saying that you can get high quality, imported beer at a better price there... I guess that's the answer to my opening question though: It's their USP and drives sales despite being relatively poor value for money.

Your post inferred that they had sold out, due to volume and popularity, therefore the term 'craft' is somehow less valid. 

I think this applies more to some of the big breweries that have tried to hijack the craft beer label - just don't think it applies to Brewdog. 

Not hugely important, in the grand scheme of things, I suppose :thumbup:

Edited by Milo

37 minutes ago, Milo said:

Your post inferred that they had sold out, due to volume and popularity, therefore the term 'craft' is somehow less valid. 

I think this applies more to some of the big breweries that have tried to hijack the craft beer label - just don't think it applies to Brewdog. 

Not hugely important, in the grand scheme of things, I suppose :thumbup:

Didn't say anything about selling out, that's the sort of argument that the simple minded hipsters for whom the term is of paramount importance would put forward, I'm just saying that their sheer volume of production these days and their omnipresence puts them at odds with my understanding of the term 'craft'.  Of course I suppose for some the idea of business expansion and selling out are one and the same.

Pedantry bonus: You mean implied, not inferred. :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's a good list there @brucey. I found myself nodding at all of those opinions.

Of course, many are simply choice and heaven forbid that we have to live our lives according to what makes sense. I like my totally impractical and costly car, and enjoy my daily coffee despite it being an indulgence.

I have no children, use the microwave only rarely and didn't attend my graduation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Och, I quite like Bowie jut never "loved" him.  I know this makes me sound like a right music fvcking nerd but I need a proper emotional experience when I listen to something to truly love it (whether that be anger, joy, love, sadness) and Bowie just doesn't connect with me sometimes.  I like Life On Mars and a few others but something doesn't grab me.  Ol' Lou on the other hand makes me want to punch my own face, inject heroin into my eyeballs and cry for 17 hours alone in my room, in the dark.  Yer know, in a good way.  :)

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

Och, I quite like Bowie jut never "loved" him.  I know this makes me sound like a right music fvcking nerd but I need a proper emotional experience when I listen to something to truly love it (whether that be anger, joy, love, sadness) and Bowie just doesn't connect with me sometimes.  I like Life On Mars and a few others but something doesn't grab me.  Ol' Lou on the other hand makes me want to punch my own face, inject heroin into my eyeballs and cry for 17 hours alone in my room, in the dark.  Yer know, in a good way:)

Sounds like a Perfect Day :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, bovril said:

Thing is real ale manufacturers like Adnams or Everards have started using the term 'craft' when describing their beer and breweries. Even Fullers have used the term. For me it's lost a lot of meaning, it's like 'artisan' coffee. Just call it coffee and let us decide if it's good or bad. With beer, far simpler just to refer to the style (lager, stout, bitter, etc) in my opinion. 

Agree - big boys dry hop the fvck out of their regular horse urine stuff and are calling it ‘craft’. 

Its like pouring a load of curry powder on some meat and calling it ‘gourmet curry’, or sticking a cherry tomato on a loaf of hovis and calling it ‘artisan’ bread. 

:mad:

(That’s why I was defending Brewdog

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

OMG! No wonder you don't understand if that is your favourite track.

3 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Och, I quite like Bowie jut never "loved" him.  I know this makes me sound like a right music fvcking nerd but I need a proper emotional experience when I listen to something to truly love it (whether that be anger, joy, love, sadness) and Bowie just doesn't connect with me sometimes.  I like Life On Mars and a few others but something doesn't grab me.  Ol' Lou on the other hand makes me want to punch my own face, inject heroin into my eyeballs and cry for 17 hours alone in my room, in the dark.  Yer know, in a good way.  :)

1 hour ago, FIF said:

OMG! No wonder you don't understand if that is your favourite track.

I think Lou Read's influence on Bowie's music is there for all to see.

A pale imitation, imo.

2 hours ago, bovril said:

Thing is real ale manufacturers like Adnams or Everards have started using the term 'craft' when describing their beer and breweries. Even Fullers have used the term. For me it's lost a lot of meaning, it's like 'artisan' coffee. Just call it coffee and let us decide if it's good or bad. With beer, far simpler just to refer to the style (lager, stout, bitter, etc) in my opinion. 

Good point on the artisan label. Spoons serve a 'gourmet' chicken burger burger ffs

3 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I think he IS fascinating (when alive at least) although I would cheerily concede that it's only his 1970s work I have any real connection with.

I'm always intrigued by the artistic process, and the drive of people to be creative, probably because I don't have it. The constant reinvention, the drive to try new things, which in Bowie's case was as likely to involve giving up on stuff that's going well in favour of something that isn't brilliantly received