Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

12 minutes ago, MattP said:

Really? Where do you live out of interest? 

I probably see 5 just walking to the shop in the morning, it's not just the elderly either, I saw kids wearing them waiting for the school bus this morning.

Just outside of Oakham.

Perhaps just me then, I haven't seen many poppies at all.

Does anyone seriously think the poppy is a symbol of white supremacy or is this just another attention seeker?

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/top-jeremy-corbyn-supporter-aaron-15389415

"We all know about the poppy appeal, it's a bit of a joke for people on the left.

"I think the poppy appeal is grotesque, it has a kind of triumphalist militarism to it... it's racist, right, it's white supremacist."

Edited by MattP

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Does anyone seriously think the poppy is a symbol of white supremacy or is this just another attention seeker?

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/top-jeremy-corbyn-supporter-aaron-15389415

"We all know about the poppy appeal, it's a bit of a joke for people on the left.

"I think the poppy appeal is grotesque, it has a kind of triumphalist militarism to it... it's racist, right, it's white supremacist."

The answer's in your question. Attention seekers' gonna attention seek.

On 06/11/2018 at 19:42, lifted*fox said:

yep, RIP to those who died in those wars but I don't need to wear a poppy to pay my respects.

Neither do I - but I choose to because those that gave their lives - irrespective of the side - should not be forgotten. Particularly important I maintain because we live in a post truth era, revisionist times in which denial is rife.  

On 06/11/2018 at 11:51, RonnieTodger said:

I wear a poppy to the remembrance fixture and on 11th November/Remembrance Sunday, but I don't even think twice when somebody doesn't. For some reason, you see them towards the end of October until Mid-November, it's bizarre. 

Why? 

I can't ever recall seeing a poppy in mid November - for the first fortnight yes. 

22 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

I agree with someone else in the thread that said people treat the poppy like some kind of patriotic measurement these days - some sort of dick-swinging contest on who 'respects our lads' the most. 

That's a massive generalisation. I think you meant to say "some people" or a small contingent. If you think that this is anything other than a minority/marginal opinion then I'd be most interested to see any other evidence other than the anecdotal otherwise it is as insignificant and irrelevant as this...

2 hours ago, MattP said:

This has all been discussed exhaustively last year...

Maybe I'm wrong about this (unlikely, I know) but I've always understood that the origins of wearing the poppy were to show that you've made your donation and to prevent you being hassled by other poppy sellers. The whole idea of it being a way of showing respect has evolved from that into some kind of modern-day virtue signalling.

4 minutes ago, Buce said:

Maybe I'm wrong about this (unlikely, I know) but I've always understood that the origins of wearing the poppy were to show that you've made your donation and to prevent you being hassled by other poppy sellers. The whole idea of it being a way of showing respect has evolved from that into some kind of modern-day virtue signalling.

My family has military roots, so I/we’ve always supported the Royal British Legion. I will be at the king power on Saturday selling poppies but I won’t be hassling anyone. :thumbup:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

My family has military roots, so I/we’ve always supported the Royal British Legion. I will be at the king power on Saturday selling poppies but I won’t be hassling anyone. :thumbup:

I'm sure you won't, bro.

For the record, I buy one every year but I don't wear one; that way they get to have my donation and sell the poppy a second time.

• Thanks 1

In France it's traditionally a bleuet. the cornflower, which dates back to before the poppy in England, I think. I know it was used to raise money for the injured of WW1 before becoming the eternal symbol of those who died for France not longer after the end of WW1. Like the Poppy it grew in the battlefields of death. The nickname for the young soldiers was the same as they wore bright blue uniforms.

However it's "popularity" is nothing like the poppy and it's getting rarer to see people wearing it. 

I'll wear one this year in remembrance ( I don't usually) and I've put my Poppy money into a donation for FT.

2 hours ago, Nalis said:

The notion that alcohol fundamentally changes people from nice to nasty is complete bollocks.

All alcohol does is release the truth.

You don't know what the truth is.

On 08/11/2018 at 16:16, MattP said:

I’m brown and buy one every year so no.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shailen_patel4 said:

I’m brown and buy one every year so no.

I know many who do.

One of those good things about the resurgence of the poppy is it has helped and coincided with educating people that the war effort wasn't only British soldiers but those from all over the World of all religions and colour, from Irish volunteers to Indian brigades. 

Wearing it is the complete opposite of white supremacy.

11 minutes ago, MattP said:

I know many who do.

One of those good things about the resurgence of the poppy is it has helped and coincided with educating people that the war effort wasn't only British soldiers but those from all over the World of all religions and colour, from Irish volunteers to Indian brigades. 

Not sure how people think it’s white supremacy if you wear one,some dumb people in this world ? 

Edited by shailen_patel4

9 minutes ago, MattP said:

I know many who do.

I’d also like to point out that 400,000  of those were Muslims. 

17 minutes ago, shailen_patel4 said:

It’s strange as you rarely  see them wearing poppies

I’m not sure you can say that with any certainty. Unless they are wearing religious clothing that marks them out as Muslim (and I know many who don’t) it is just assumption. There is nothing inherant about an Indian Muslim to distinguish them from an Indian of any other faith (or none). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simFox said:

Clubbing seals is necessary and it's probably good fun.

I used to turn them away when I worked on the door. They were never appropriately dressed tbh.

I have heard they can be a hoot when they've sunk a few though.

Edited by Max Wall

48 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

I used to turn them away when I worked on the door. They were never appropriately dressed tbh.

I have heard they can be a hoot when they've sunk a few though.

Clubbing Penguins are normally well dressed.

Owls are a hoot.

Icebergs sink a few.

Seals don't usually open up when drinking.