Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Am I the only one looking forward to tomorrow and hoping that we can just get back to football?

The mercury are starting to make me physically sick with their "Khun Vichai" coverage - if only they and their reporters had the same respect for him before as they apparently have now.

It's all getting a little too Lady Di syndrome for me.

Dreadful accident. Did good things for LCFC. Full respect to his family. Tomorrow move on to the future of LCFC and leave the family to greave/mourn in peace.

Just now, FIF said:

Am I the only one looking forward to tomorrow and hoping that we can just get back to football?

The mercury are starting to make me physically sick with their "Khun Vichai" coverage - if only they and their reporters had the same respect for him before as they apparently have now.

It's all getting a little too Lady Di syndrome for me.

Dreadful accident. Did good things for LCFC. Full respect to his family. Tomorrow move on to the future of LCFC and leave the family to greave/mourn in peace.

I was going to post something similar last week re: fear of it being a bit Lady Di but thought it might have been too soon. 

I think its that if its goes a bit over the top then the tributes are devalued. Gutted not to make today but it should be very fitting and the international break gives us a chance to move on a bit more in our next game in a fortnight.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Maybe not so unpopular but if a student wants to spend a year 'teaching' (because when you aren't a trained teacher you can only be so useful) in an underdeveloped African nation then they should work hard while they're living with ma & pa and not paying rent to be able to fund it or do some kind of sponsorship worthy event(s). Not print off a load of professional looking glossy leaflets and hand them around local businesses asking for them to fund your gap yah. Though the act of charity over there is laudable it is not sufficient cause for other people to cover your expenses.

All students should be forced to work in and for their own community for 9 months/1 year after finishing secondary school. A form of community service. Maybe they'd be a little more mature and hard working then if they decided to go to university.

12 minutes ago, FIF said:

All students should be forced to work in and for their own community for 9 months/1 year after finishing secondary school. A form of community service. Maybe they'd be a little more mature and hard working then if they decided to go to university.

Which one of us is starting the popular opinions thread?

I'll leave you to deal with @UniFox21 opinion on this.......

Edited by Max Wall
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, FIF said:

Not really sure where to start with this in all honesty :blink:

I pay 9k a year to study, why should i be forced to do community service? One of the big things about uni is dropping you out of home and forcing you to live without parents doing everything for you. You drop 18 year olds into that and ofc they're gonna be a bit crazy, but you see them mostly mature and change as you age. And all of the experiences depend on the uni we go to. 

I agree with the previous post though, people who want their gap year funding are cr4ppy, i get sick of hearing about their gap "yah". 

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Not really sure where to start with this in all honesty :blink:

I pay 9k a year to study, why should i be forced to do community service? One of the big things about uni is dropping you out of home and forcing you to live without parents doing everything for you. You drop 18 year olds into that and ofc they're gonna be a bit crazy, but you see them mostly mature and change as you age. And all of the experiences depend on the uni we go to. 

I agree with the previous post though, people who want their gap year funding are cr4ppy, i get sick of hearing about their gap "yah". 

Do you really pay 9k a year to study or do you get a loan which if you end up working for the community you'll probably never have to pay back because you won't earn an obscene amount of money?

And how much have you actually paid into the society that has educated and nourished you for the first 18 years of your life?

However I agree that people shouldn't be "forced" to do community service. They should want to do it both to help their communities and to learn and gain life experience.

I have 30 years experience of university students and the vast majority would benefit by doing community service before going to Uni. Why would you want to be an 18 year old who has never experienced a "real" job before you are dropped into an alien environment which you are ill equipped to benefit from? There is a porportion of students who go onto Uni simply because they haven't thought about alternative possibilities and it's the "easy" route. There is a proportion of students who choose the wrong course at Uni because they haven't had the time or help to think about what they really need/want from uni for their futures or because they have no idea what they want from their futures. There is a proportion of students who drop out because of the culture shock of entering uni ill-prepared.

Doing community service and being at least 1 year older means that students will be more mature and will better understand why they should work at uni. 

Too many students waste or don't fully benefit from the education they are offered (which is worth far more than the 9k you have fooled yourself it costs). You may be an exception but forgive me if I go with the 30 years of experience I have over your witness.

20 minutes ago, FIF said:

Do you really pay 9k a year to study or do you get a loan which if you end up working for the community you'll probably never have to pay back because you won't earn an obscene amount of money?

And how much have you actually paid into the society that has educated and nourished you for the first 18 years of your life?

However I agree that people shouldn't be "forced" to do community service. They should want to do it both to help their communities and to learn and gain life experience.

I have 30 years experience of university students and the vast majority would benefit by doing community service before going to Uni. Why would you want to be an 18 year old who has never experienced a "real" job before you are dropped into an alien environment which you are ill equipped to benefit from? There is a porportion of students who go onto Uni simply because they haven't thought about alternative possibilities and it's the "easy" route. There is a proportion of students who choose the wrong course at Uni because they haven't had the time or help to think about what they really need/want from uni for their futures or because they have no idea what they want from their futures. There is a proportion of students who drop out because of the culture shock of entering uni ill-prepared.

Doing community service and being at least 1 year older means that students will be more mature and will better understand why they should work at uni. 

Too many students waste or don't fully benefit from the education they are offered (which is worth far more than the 9k you have fooled yourself it costs). You may be an exception but forgive me if I go with the 30 years of experience I have over your witness.

Not just university students. I've seen plenty of baby-faced, fresh out of GCSE's apprentices pass through our doors and not give a shit. We actually had one who smashed a drill into a part he was machining and he laughed ffs. By all means, make mistakes, it happens, even people with 40+ years of experience make mistakes, but don't ****ing laugh over it. The trouble is they've never had to work a shite job, and can't appreciate the freedom, the paycheck or the actual interesting work until then. It doesn't even have to be a year, a couple of months of picking in an Argos warehouse and you'd have the best behaved apprentices in Britain.

The best apprentice I've seen is the son of someone who worked there already. This lad worked at the local ice skating place as a volunteer since he was 13. Well behaved kid with his head screwed on and an appetite to learn what people have to teach.

Getting an education is great, and a vital part in getting a good job, but when you look at how many people are coming through universities but not getting a job in the field they've studied, it doesn't take a genius to figure out there's more to it.

18 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Not just university students. I've seen plenty of baby-faced, fresh out of GCSE's apprentices pass through our doors and not give a shit. We actually had one who smashed a drill into a part he was machining and he laughed ffs. By all means, make mistakes, it happens, even people with 40+ years of experience make mistakes, but don't ****ing laugh over it.

We have an apprentice at our place, he did his 1st year at the Rolls Royce acadamy in Derby because our company deals with them a lot and it’s part of the agreement. So when he was due to come back, we were all thinking that at least he’ll come in with some good basic knowledge and we won’t have to babysit him. Couldn’t have been more wrong. 

The daft cnut FELL ASLEEP at his bench the other week. It was 2PM. He was sent home, came in the next day, no remorse, just laughing his tits off about it. 

The next day was funny really, we just slaughtered him all day for it. 

4 hours ago, FIF said:

I get the loan yes, but it's still -36k to my name. Ik i won't pay much back, but that's not my fault how the system is set out.

I don't know how much I've paid for society, wouldn't know how to quantify it.

But i agree with your point. A few of the students I've met (and a couple I've sadly lived with), think they're gods gift and I'd love to drop them into the environments you're describing and give them a wake up. Too many survive off of "mummy and daddy" and i hate it.

But, on the other hand, a lot I've met (myself included) have worked or do work to be able to live and enjoy our time. For example, I'm into my 4th year, and worked from the summer before uni up until 3rd year.

A lot of students are spoilt or simply end up at the wrong place due to no one really helping to figure whats best for you.

38 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I get the loan yes, but it's still -36k to my name. Ik i won't pay much back, but that's not my fault how the system is set out.

I don't know how much I've paid for society, wouldn't know how to quantify it.

But i agree with your point. A few of the students I've met (and a couple I've sadly lived with), think they're gods gift and I'd love to drop them into the environments you're describing and give them a wake up. Too many survive off of "mummy and daddy" and i hate it.

But, on the other hand, a lot I've met (myself included) have worked or do work to be able to live and enjoy our time. For example, I'm into my 4th year, and worked from the summer before uni up until 3rd year.

A lot of students are spoilt or simply end up at the wrong place due to no one really helping to figure whats best for you.

It's not -36k against your name though. It won't be held against you on loan or mortgage applications like a proper loan. Absolutely no one in the working world after you graduate will see it as that.

It's a graduate tax not a loan, in all but name.

Treating it as a real loan or real debt only causes young people to get overwhelmed by it when they really shouldn't, leading to mental health problems and even suicide.

I have no idea why it's known as a "student loan" rather than "student tax". It causes so many needless issues.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sampson said:

It's not -36k against your name though. It won't be held against you on loan or mortgage applications like a proper loan. Absolutely no one in the working world after you graduate will see it as that.

It's a graduate tax not a loan, in all but name.

Treating it as a real loan or real debt only causes young people to get overwhelmed by it when they really shouldn't, leading to mental health problems and even suicide.

I have no idea why it's known as a "student loan" rather than "student tax". It causes so many needless issues.

Exactly.

It's not a loan. It's not even a student tax. It's a repayment made by people who earn more money than they should probably due to the wonderful education they received (though not necessarily).

8 minutes ago, FIF said:

Exactly.

It's not a loan. It's not even a student tax. It's a repayment made by people who earn more money than they should probably due to the wonderful education they received (though not necessarily).

Not gonna get into the discussion about loan/tax as the whole system is flawed.

But the latter point; these days to get your foot into a job you need a degree, so to get ahead you need to have more (masters, PhD). A lot of people go to with respect, lesser universities/ do niche subjects and struggle to find jobs due to how competitive things are. Or simply people go because it's "the thing to do" almost.

50 minutes ago, FIF said:

Exactly.

Implemented by people who got theirs for free.

I agree with the principle of student loans/tax, but I think anyone who got their University education for free should also have to pay this "tax" if they're still earning above the threshhold. That's my "unpopular opinion".

Edited by Charl91

10 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

Implemented by people who got there's for free.

I agree with the principle of student loans/tax, but I think anyone who got their University education for free should also have to pay this "tax" if they're still earning above the threshhold. That's my "unpopular opinion".

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing.

I just think it's ludicrous that we're telling young adults of 18 who are under the pressure of leaving home for the first time as it is that they're in £36k worth of debt when they're really not - it just adds horrible unneeded pressure to young people.

That £36k is payed for by the tax payers and government borrowing - just as people who got their university education for "free" did, if you do well enough then you can help pay that directly back, if you don't earn enough then you're not expected to (but you'll still help out others get the same opportunity as a tax payer, so no stigma should be attached). That's all it is when you get down to it - it's not a loan which will cause you crippling financial problems or stop you getting a mortgage or a credit card like a genuine loan can do, people need to stop putting that stigma to it.

We need to stop putting all the extra pressure on people by telling them they're in masses of debt when they aren't more than anything.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

Implemented by people who got there's for free.

Agree whole hardheartedly - in fact, the very first people who should have had to shell out for a graduate tax should have been the MPs who voted for it, since they've all used their free degrees to get such plum jobs - and since they decided it was fair for current students to incur interest at RPI + 3% whilst they are still studying (that's right, the initial interest rate is the max one they charge the highest earners after graduation), then perhaps they could also pay back all the interest they should have incurred over the 10, 20, 30 years they've been sitting in Parliament scoffing their taxpayer subsidized food and booze and claiming for duck houses and silk cushions on expenses.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing.

I just think it's ludicrous that we're telling young adults of 18 who are under the pressure of leaving home for the first time as it is that they're in £36k worth of debt when they're really not - it just adds horrible unneeded pressure to young people.

That £36k is payed for by the tax payers and government borrowing - just as people who got their university education for "free" did, if you do well enough then you can help pay that directly back, if you don't earn enough then you're not expected to (but you'll still help out others get the same opportunity as a tax payer, so no stigma should be attached). That's all it is when you get down to it - it's not a loan which will cause you crippling financial problems or stop you getting a mortgage or a credit card like a genuine loan can do, people need to stop putting that stigma to it.

We need to stop putting all the extra pressure on people by telling them they're in masses of debt when they aren't more than anything.

No, I agree with you. Like you said, it's essentially a tax for 30 years on earning above a certain threshold, which is fair enough in my view. I wish it was made slightly clearer in schools, as there does seem to be a lot of misconceptions with it, but it seems morally fair.

I just don't see why the burden should be taken by the younger generation, is all.

6 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

No, I agree with you. Like you said, it's essentially a tax for 30 years on earning above a certain threshold, which is fair enough in my view. I wish it was made slightly clearer in schools, as there does seem to be a lot of misconceptions with it, but it seems morally fair.

I just don't see why the burden should be taken by the younger generation, is all.

I agree with you morally, but I think it sets too much of a dangerous precedent if the government were to bring in retroactive charges against people which they would be unaware of.

If you're a person in their 50s who's a;ready built their career and family life and balanced their budget around paying their mortgage, pension savings and helping their own children through university for example to suddenly have an extra charge smashed onto then it's a lot more problematic than anyone going to university since the charge is fully aware of it and is able to budget their adult life and building their family and career around it.

I understand the frustration with people who've managed to get ahead on the tax payer back in the 70s or 80s when university was a far less common thing and was more common amongst wealthier families, but the idea of the government having the power to bring retroactive charges like that against people sounds like a Pandora's box which I think could end up being pretty used in pretty alarming ways if it were opened and could end up financially crippling a lot of families who've managed to build to a stable place.

26 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I agree with you morally, but I think it sets too much of a dangerous precedent if the government were to bring in retroactive charges against people which they would be unaware of.

If you're a person in their 50s who's a;ready built their career and family life and balanced their budget around paying their mortgage, pension savings and helping their own children through university for example to suddenly have an extra charge smashed onto then it's a lot more problematic than anyone going to university since the charge is fully aware of it and is able to budget their adult life and building their family and career around it.

I understand the frustration with people who've managed to get ahead on the tax payer back in the 70s or 80s when university was a far less common thing and was more common amongst wealthier families, but the idea of the government having the power to bring retroactive charges like that against people sounds like a Pandora's box which I think could end up being pretty used in pretty alarming ways if it were opened and could end up financially crippling a lot of families who've managed to build to a stable place.

How is that any different to the Government changing the tax rate though? No one chooses Tax.

24 minutes ago, Sampson said:

The Government has done precisely this already with teachers’ (for example) pensions, so that precedent has already been set. 

23 hours ago, FIF said:

Say what you like about @FIF, and many people do lol

One of the best posters on here and often inspires debate, whether you agree with him or not.

Don't know if your posts are still limited but it's a crying shame if they are.

15 hours ago, Charl91 said:

Implemented by people who got theirs for free.

I'm not against that idea. Of course if the rich were simply taxed more on their higher earnings it wouldn't be much of a problem. I'm all for progressive taxes. People leaving the country (like me) also ought to be held liable for the cost of their education in some way. In my particular case I think the French government (and therefore French people) should pay the UK for my education since they have benefitted greatly at no cost to them.

52 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Say what you like about @FIF, and many people do lol

One of the best posters on here and often inspires debate, whether you agree with him or not.

Don't know if your posts are still limited but it's a crying shame if they are.

Thanks Max. My posts are still limited but I think I've sort of accepted it as Mark should have the right to run his site as he wishes - especially as I don't pay the costs or suffer the work from the site. I'm just glad he doesn't ban me completely - as he has in the past :blush:.

Edited by Guest

56 minutes ago, MattP said:

The kilt is an absolutely ludicrous piece of attire and looks ridiculous on the men who choose to wear it.

I think it looks great on some men.

Perhaps it's more the context of wearing it that is sometimes ludicrous.