Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

On 11/11/2018 at 11:10, MattP said:

The kilt is an absolutely ludicrous piece of attire and looks ridiculous on the men who choose to wear it.

Not having that...

I whip mine out at every opportunity, and haven't had any complaints yet...

:ph34r: 

On 11/11/2018 at 10:56, FIF said:

I'm not against that idea. Of course if the rich were simply taxed more on their higher earnings it wouldn't be much of a problem. I'm all for progressive taxes. People leaving the country (like me) also ought to be held liable for the cost of their education in some way. In my particular case I think the French government (and therefore French people) should pay the UK for my education since they have benefitted greatly at no cost to them.

Thanks Max. My posts are still limited but I think I've sort of accepted it as Mark should have the right to run his site as he wishes - especially as I don't pay the costs or suffer the work from the site. I'm just glad he doesn't ban me completely - as he has in the past :blush:.

Debatable...

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

On 12/09/2017 at 22:40, Finnegan said:

I hate collective grief. I don't want to clap on the tenth minute minute for a kid that's sadly ill or an old boy who died that I never met. I don't want to post meaningless RIPs on the Internet or share Facebook posts when an actor I'm not fussed about died. 

I don't want a minute's silence every time a murder is called an act of terror. 

I just generally can't stand anyone pretending to give more of a shit about a loss than they really do just to look caring. Either because they want to or they feel obliged. 

Did you join in the collective grief this past fortnight?

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Did you join in the collective grief this past fortnight?

Not sure if you’re on the wind up but “pretending to give more of a shit than they really do” clearly isn’t the case for a tragedy that’s affected our club. 

47 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Not sure if you’re on the wind up but “pretending to give more of a shit than they really do” clearly isn’t the case for a tragedy that’s affected our club. 

I was referring to the collective grief. and I simply asked a question - I didn't say anyone was wrong. I don't think anyone is wrong (or right for that matter)

It was a tragedy and a very sad event but I doubt that you, or Finnegan or many of the people crying really knew him. So it was a collective grief you felt - like the Lady Di death. It has affected our club but other events in our past have affected it as much, we very nearly ceased to exist only a few years ago and apart from a few people crying on days when we've been relegated we've never had anything like the mass outpouring that we have seen over the last few weeks.

It may be that this collective grief is therapeutic or a form of bonding, it clearly is/has become very important to many people/communities recently. I don't understand the phenomena, so I'm asking questions to try and understand it. It probably is a personal empathy defect that I suffer from.

I'm sorry if one of those questions offended you and I want to make it clear that no offence was meant and no judgement on anyone was made.

9 minutes ago, FIF said:

I was referring to the collective grief. and I simply asked a question - I didn't say anyone was wrong. I don't think anyone is wrong (or right for that matter)

It was a tragedy and a very sad event but I doubt that you, or Finnegan or many of the people crying really knew him. So it was a collective grief you felt - like the Lady Di death. It has affected our club but other events in our past have affected it as much, we very nearly ceased to exist only a few years ago and apart from a few people crying on days when we've been relegated we've never had anything like the mass outpouring that we have seen over the last few weeks.

It may be that this collective grief is therapeutic or a form of bonding, it clearly is/has become very important to many people/communities recently. I don't understand the phenomena, so I'm asking questions to try and understand it. It probably is a personal empathy defect that I suffer from.

I'm sorry if one of those questions offended you and I want to make it clear that no offence was meant and no judgement on anyone was made.

Interesting point about collective grief and how you respond to the death of someone you don’t know. 

I personally found the outpouring and scale of public grief after the death of Princess Diana utterly bewildering. Yes it was sad and particularly so as she had two young children who were going to be brought up without their mother but the public reaction was something alien to my own response. 

Although I didn’t know Vichai, he was undoubtedly a key factor in one of the best events of my life. Without him it wouldn’t have happened. It is something that I was able to share with those close to me including a seriously ill family member. For that I will always be grateful. 

Sometimes what football gives is so much more than just football. I feel a personal connection with Vichai for what he has helped to give me and although I didn’t know him and have never even met him I have been teary eyed about recent events.

• Like 1

We do seem to do collective grief very well in this country. Maybe because of the stiff upper lip attitude, we feel more comfortable showing our emotions in groups than individually. Or maybe because we have become quite an individualistic society compared to many Western European nations, we have the need to feel part of something, which these events allow us to. The Princess Di thing was bonkers, I remember thinking that even as an 11 year old.

I'll be honest and admit I don't think I was as affected as Vichai's death as obviously many Leicester fans were. I was shocked, and very sad for the families of those who passed away, but I didn't experience any real grief as some did. Maybe because I have never lived in the city and no longer go to the games regularly. I just felt a little disconnected from it all, weirdly. That is not to dispute anybody else's reaction, we all respond to things differently of course and at the same time I understand why there was such an outpouring. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

It was a fair question anyway but especially so given the post it quoted. 

2 hours ago, simFox said:

Equality is not equal.

My company published some annual engineering awards. Out of the 16 entries, 50% were women and 50% were ethnic. Amazing, seeing as the workforce is 80% male.

maybe the males are shitter engineers?

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

@FIF

Ugh. I've just gotten half way through a massive reply and realised it's really not worth it. 

So I'll condense it:

1. I stand by my original post. 

2. Cvnts are everywhere. 

3. You're one of them. 

Will one of the inner circle be banned for that? nah!!!

No cyber bullying

It is very important that you carefully consider the type of posts you make on the forum and their consequences, whether direct/indirect or deliberate/unintentional. We can't and won't ever tolerate this forum being used for malicious communications, bullying or harassment of any sort. We can't police the internet but we can control what happens here on FT and we now have a zero tolerance approach for any content or posts of this type.

We also take a dim view of personal abuse in general, so please consider the way in which you debate with others. We understand that you're not all going to agree with each other all of the time. If you can't stand reading the thoughts of another poster, put them on ignore. Furthermore, if you have been subjected to behaviour like this please know you can always contact any of the admin team and we'll do our best to help. 

people in glass houses and all that.

You've made me very very sad.

Edited by Guest

16 hours ago, FIF said:

In the past i have been amazed and admittedly even a little appalled by the what i thought to be excessive grieving about people you dont know. 

The Vichai effect has surprised me.. a couple of times i have welled up about the whole thing, and from what i can tell, its come down to how his family must be feeling and how the expression of grief from the community would (I imagine) be quite a consolation to them and to know that so many "loved" him.

Watching Top and his brother on Saturday was very moving and I intend to change my attitude toward the people who want to grieve for people they dont know... having said that, the amount of money wasted on shirts and flowers does disturb me... someone is going to become a millionaire by creating a "Public grief tool" that can be bought, laid in remembrance and then recycled.

17 hours ago, Finnegan said:

@FIF

Ugh. I've just gotten half way through a massive reply and realised it's really not worth it. 

So I'll condense it:

1. I stand by my original post. 

2. Cvnts are everywhere. 

3. You're one of them. 

You’re normally a decent poster Finnegan but on this occasion, for your assertion at point 3 you fall into the category at point 2. 

• Like 1

Finnegan made those comments well before the death of Vichai concerning the collective grief of those who didn't know the person lost and I have to agree with him, there are so many black arm bands one can wear.  He said it in a thread entitled "Unpopular opinions you hold" well go figure

After that unfolds the biggest tragedy we have had as a club and Finnegan is held accountable for his previous comment.

Who knows how much Finners is grieving for Vichai?

He reacts in a way that I can understand so give the guy a break

Edited by Smudge
Timing
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Finnegan made those comments two weeks before the death of Vichai concerning the collective grief of those who didn't know the person lost and I have to agree with him, there are so many black arm bands one can wear.  He said it in a thread entitled "Unpopular opinions you hold" well go figure

After that unfolds the biggest tragedy we have had as a club and Finnegan is held accountable for his previous comment.

Who knows how much Finners is grieving for Vichai?

He reacts in a way that I can understand so give the guy a break

Just saw the date, his post was actually over a year old (2017). Incredibly unfair to bring it up at all.

I feel much of the outpouring of grief is to do with the way things happened. If Vichai had died of a sudden heart attack at home, I'd probably have been a bit sad for a day or so, but been more focused on discussing the club's future in a thread. In fact when my grandparents passed of medical reasons I barely even felt sad, and had absolutely zero grief reaction. So I've been shocked by how much this has affected me. I think, at least for me, it was the rumour that they might have still been alive post impact that did it. The thought of how horrific the last moments could have been. :(

• Thanks 1

I think making a point about collective grief is valid. I’ve explained in an earlier post why recent events have affected me more than I would have expected. 

I can see that the point could have been made without directly referencing Finnegan’s historic post but I’m not persuaded that it merited the resulting unequivocal response. 

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Like 1