Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

44 minutes ago, Izzy said:

One thing that changed my mind about him was when I realised what a huge impact the Dunblane massacre had on him as a kid. The fact he knew the gunman and he'd given him lifts in his car etc. beforehand.

A bit irresponsible driving a car when he was still at primary school, though. Should have set a better example IMHO. 

16 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

The "anyone but England" thing was a joke with Tim Henman. Henman was interviewing him and took the piss regarding Scotland not bring at the world cup and when asked who'd he'd support that was his pisstaking response back.

Are people not allowed to have a laugh with mates? Also he's not a miserable ****, if you'd actually you'd paid attention over the years you'd see he's happy to laugh at himself and has a very dry sense of humour.

Yep ..  that’s why I put it in the unpopular opinions thread Flannel  ...   and yes I dare say that Sir Misery has worked hard on his public image ..   spending a small part of his £80m in doing so.   

41 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Yep ..  that’s why I put it in the unpopular opinions thread Flannel  ...   and yes I dare say that Sir Misery has worked hard on his public image ..   spending a small part of his £80m in doing so.   

Nah i just think he's being who he is. It's funny despite accepting he's not miserable (because you claim he's worked on his public image) you also claim he's still miserable.  Think you're a bit muddled CF :D

59 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Nah i just think he's being who he is. It's funny despite accepting he's not miserable (because you claim he's worked on his public image) you also claim he's still miserable.  Think you're a bit muddled CF :D

Who said that !! ...   I can hear voices in mi head ! ...   :)

Cant actually recall accepting he’s not miserable Jamie ...    but what I do accept is that he has worked hard on his image, imo, and that that would be enough to sway people’s opinion of him ...      

Edited by Countryfox
P..S..

8 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Who said that !! ...   I can hear voices in mi head ! ...   :)

Cant actually recall accepting he’s not miserable Jamie ...    but what I do accept is that he has worked hard on his image, imo, and that that would be enough to sway people’s opinion of him ...      

Your memory is too good if you remember my Jamie/James rant lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

The "safehouse" topic isn't actually a safehouse from football chat but a place for people to sneer at the main forum without having their opinions challenged.  

The majority of the posters in that thread are worse than most from the main forum. 

You have got to be a Puel happy clapper to post in that thread. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

The "Vichai had a dream chant" is an embarrassment and like most of the Leicester song book, appropriated from another club. 

The great man deserved something original. 

Can anyone explain to me what the “oooh oooh ooooh” bit is at the end??? Bizarre

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

The "Vichai had a dream chant" is an embarrassment and like most of the Leicester song book, appropriated from another club. 

I'd go further then just the song ascot Vichai.

Fans of all football teams (including our own) all sing the same songs with very slightly different words. It's rubbish.

There's basically no originality from anybody.

The one that winds me up the most is that bloody Allez Allez Allez song that Liverpool fans seem to have replaced You Never Walk Alone with.

On 12/01/2019 at 18:52, LiberalFox said:

The "safehouse" topic isn't actually a safehouse from football chat but a place for people to sneer at the main forum without having their opinions challenged.  

On 12/01/2019 at 22:38, Steve_Walsh5 said:

The majority of the posters in that thread are worse than most from the main forum. 

You have got to be a Puel happy clapper to post in that thread. 

It never used to be. When it was first started (I'm depressed by how long ago that is) we were genuinely just absolutely horrible. TPH started it the season we went down to league one. This place wasn't particularly divided, nobody was that happy. 

It was a joke thread, pretending football wasn't happening at all. 

Now a couple of hardcore Puel fans that think they're smarter than the hardcore Outters (despite being equally blindly entrenched) have taken it over as a place to sit and bitch while they're outnumbered. 

Be nice if we could send both lots off to Talking Balls so you could praise or criticise the team or the manager constructively without someone leaping down your throat for being on a "side." 

Edited by Finnegan

9 hours ago, Toddybad said:

Fans of all football teams (including our own) all sing the same songs with very slightly different words. It's rubbish.

Absolutely.

The obligatory 'Sloop John B' has been used to express everything from Jason Puncheon going for a shit to the ridiculous "Leicester City we're coming for you" (which of course it transpired, they actually weren't) and perhaps most excruciatingly "champions of England, you'll never sing that" ...directed at Derby County.  Genius. Classic Leicester. As if that isn't bad enough, the essence of the song that our fans sing as a tribute to our deceased chairman was nicked from ****ing Wolves. I remember when we played them in that pre season friendly and they were like a stuck record - must have sang it about 100 times. Worse still, Watford have a variant of it. 

They may be 70% plastic but Man U do at least devise original chants and introduce new own tunes. I think in many cases these songs are similarly derived from big clubs, are heard on the TV a couple of times and then become staple additions to the 'repertoire' around the country. Palace are always loud and have their own chants - although to their eternal shame they were responsible for introducing that ****ing dreadful "and that's the way we like it, like it" into the English game from St Pauli. I swear any ****ing fanbase still singing this shit ten years later, which of course on occasions we do, should be mandatorily stripped of their songbook and restricted to this for a season...

Edited by Line-X

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

It never used to be. When it was first started (I'm depressed by how long ago that is) we were genuinely just absolutely horrible. TPH started it the season we went down to league one. This place wasn't particularly divided, nobody was that happy. 

It was a joke thread, pretending football wasn't happening at all. 

Now a couple of hardcore Puel fans that think they're smarter than the hardcore Outters (despite being equally blindly entrenched) have taken it over as a place to sit and bitch while they're outnumbered. 

Be nice if we could send both lots off to Talking Balls so you could praise or criticise the team or the manager constructively without someone leaping down your throat for being on a "side." 

Does that still exist? I very occasionally check Bentleys and had an account on it but never ventured onto TB more than once or twice. Which one is the largest? What is the TB 'culture', compared to Bentleys and here?

The one that winds me up the most is that bloody Allez Allez Allez song that Liverpool fans seem to have replaced You Never Walk Alone with.

The worst thing is Allez allez allez was stolen from Porto. Some scouse melt played it in Rome at a gig and thinks he made the whole thing up himself. Bless.

17 minutes ago, bovril said:

Does that still exist? I very occasionally check Bentleys and had an account on it but never ventured onto TB more than once or twice. Which one is the largest? What is the TB 'culture', compared to Bentleys and here?

There was a brief moment in time where it was roughly age range I guess was the biggest difference. Foxestalk had a lot of student aged posters, late teens to early twenties. That's not to say there weren't older but the bulk were there. 

Bentley's was largely old duffers and Talkingballs generally mostly blokes in their thirties and forties. 

They'd refer to foxestalk as being "full of kids." The view was that this place was silly and immature.

FoxesTalk has just dwarfed everything else now though and the demographic on here is hugely wide. I'm not sure TB still exists, it probably does. I would imagine it just has a small dedicated group of old school members by now. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Toddybad said:

I don't really think you can lump Allez Allez Allez in with the rest, even if the tune is cadged the lyrics are at least original.

I think the main problem is it's just so easy to rip off others nowadays. Any chant that gets going has been round the world on YouTube before you know it, whereas it used to be that you'd only ever hear what songs other fans were singing if your team was playing them. All it now takes is a lazy teenager who wants a bit of internet fame to share an awaydaysbanterfootylad Facebook post with alternative lyrics relatable to his team and you're away. You've only to look at the "New Chants" thread on here (which used to be much better for creative suggestions a few years ago) to see some absolutely terrible takes on what people actually think constitutes a good football chant.

It's a sad state of affairs and people should have a bit more pride in what they come up with for their own club/players. Mind you I am a renowned snob when it comes to this kind of stuff, so maybe I just need to chill out a bit and accept the way things are.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Line-X said:

Unpopular opinion:

I think "great man" is going too far.

Like what he did for City, seemed a decent guy but in the end he was just a club owner, profiting from his priviledged position in a pretty corrupt world.

Is it wrong to make a post that is hugely agreeable, thoughtful and likeable, that nobody could disagree with, wait for it to get 50+ likes, then go back and edit it with the most foul, hate-spewing, offensive, evil diatribe possible?

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Manini said:

I think Gary Lineker, especially his social media persona, comes across as a right nob. 

He's passionate about his beliefs which I like, but he's so "luvvie" it's almost beyond parody at times.