Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

I think Harry Maguire has played better than Wes this season.

I'll go further than that and say that I think Maguire is a top 5 Prem CB at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

They all blend into each other, I find.

Including me

I remember posters more by their photo than their name. Boob guy, black and gold crest, Nigel Pearson angry, Nigel Pearson playful. Man I love those guys. 

1 hour ago, bovril said:

I remember posters more by their photo than their name. Boob guy, black and gold crest, Nigel Pearson angry, Nigel Pearson playful. Man I love those guys. 

This is sort of true but I view the forum almost exclusively on my phone so everyone has tiny avas. 

You're just "red and blue players", I have no idea what's going on there. It's probably Claridge scoring but that's pure guesswork. 

I viewed the forum on my laptop for the first time in about a year yesterday and up until that point I had no idea that The Doctor had Corbyn in his ava.

Edited by Finnegan

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

This is sort of true but I view the forum almost exclusively on my phone so everyone has tiny avas. 

You're just "red and blue players", I have no idea what's going on there. It's probably Claridge scoring but that's pure guesswork. 

That's right, bloke with towel on head. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bovril said:

An avatar really should be like your football team, you pick one at birth and stick with it through the good times and the bad

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

VAR will destroy football

I don’t think this is too unpopular an opinion, tbh. 

You are correct - a year down the line every:

offside/penalty/corner/throw in/grapling in the box/handball/booking will be reviewed. 

Death of football 

On 1/6/2018 at 19:42, Buce said:

So you are saying that they all had children with their siblings, and by definition their children and grandchildren also inbred?

You're clearly an intelligent guy - surely, regardless of faith, you can see that isn't possible.

On 1/6/2018 at 19:54, Buce said:

Aside that inbreeding causes genetic defects (the reason why nearly all societies prohibit marriage between close relatives), we also wouldn't have the genetic diversity that we have now.

It's demonstrably untrue, and I find it odd that someone of your obvious intelligence can ignore it on the grounds of faith.

It is possible and is certainly factor in our evolution. I don't believe in Adam and Eve, but evolution would suggest that at a certain point in time there was the first genetically recognisable human and probably the second not long after odds on a sibling and as a result of some form of inbreeding/shallow gene pool, most likely a genetic mutation from homo erectus. There were probably more than 2, but it is possible that there were only 2 that had the genetic make up of a homo sapien. How ever attraction works these 2 freaks could very easily have found themselves rejected by the homo erectus society, or just found attraction in each other due to similarity and had babies.

What you have said about incest implies that it is impossible to have healthy babies through incest, which isn't true Incest can produce perfectly healthy babies, but it does increase the chance of genetic abnormalities due to recessive genes. So imagine that homo sapienism was a recessive gene, then the early genetic humans, almost definitely closely related, would need to get all incestuous to ensure the genes were passed on. So would their children and their children's children. Otherwise the species would not have survived. We, as most species did, evolved through an incest fuelled genetic mutation. It's not quite Adam and Eve, but if we could trace our ancestry back far enough the number of degrees of separation would get smaller and smaller until we eventually find that we are all related.

Of course the other theory is there was a cataclysmic change to the environment and homo erectus evolved collectively, suddenly and rapidly in the same direction, but that is less fun.

11 minutes ago, Captain... said:

It is possible and is certainly factor in our evolution. I don't believe in Adam and Eve, but evolution would suggest that at a certain point in time there was the first genetically recognisable human and probably the second not long after odds on a sibling and as a result of some form of inbreeding/shallow gene pool, most likely a genetic mutation from homo erectus. There were probably more than 2, but it is possible that there were only 2 that had the genetic make up of a homo sapien. How ever attraction works these 2 freaks could very easily have found themselves rejected by the homo erectus society, or just found attraction in each other due to similarity and had babies.

What you have said about incest implies that it is impossible to have healthy babies through incest, which isn't true Incest can produce perfectly healthy babies, but it does increase the chance of genetic abnormalities due to recessive genes. So imagine that homo sapienism was a recessive gene, then the early genetic humans, almost definitely closely related, would need to get all incestuous to ensure the genes were passed on. So would their children and their children's children. Otherwise the species would not have survived. We, as most species did, evolved through an incest fuelled genetic mutation. It's not quite Adam and Eve, but if we could trace our ancestry back far enough the number of degrees of separation would get smaller and smaller until we eventually find that we are all related.

Of course the other theory is there was a cataclysmic change to the environment and homo erectus evolved collectively, suddenly and rapidly in the same direction, but that is less fun.

The general consensus right now is that modern humanity is derived from a genetic stock of around 10000 individuals tens of thousands of years ago. That's a high enough number so that the genetic abnormalities you mention aren't a massive problem, but small enough that the lack of genetic diversity is noticed.

What caused that bottleneck in the first place? Well, there's a few theories on that one.

I think our democratic system is fundamentally broken, and whoever wins any election we still end up with the shortsighted, self-interested and immoral in charge.

I think that by voting you legitimise the status quo.

My opinion is that voting in general elections is morally reprehensible.

• Like 1

On 17/01/2018 at 19:57, lifted*fox said:

wow, which FT regular is pathetic enough to set up a Donald Trump alias account?

Image result for cringe gif

The same one that became Jonathan "Woss"?

Anyway, how do you know it's an alias? I think it's actually the real DT.