Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

Any nation that selfishly ignore the rights of any minority and those that faught for there existence, is absolutely SHIT.

Makes you the idoit

Probably every country on the planet then.

56 minutes ago, simFox said:

People who can no longer afford nice cars etc. because they've had kids, were struggling to afford them anyway.

People should require a licence in order to have kids.

10 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Religions are just an excuse for violence. Communism was a staunchly atheist movement and killed far more people and caused far more conflict than any religion did in the 20th Century. The rise of liberal nationalism and the reformation following the French revolution caused as much conflict in the 19th Century. The Greco-Spartan wars had very little to do with opposing religions. The Mongol, Hun, Scythians and other Steppe hoardes had little to do with religion And it's not like there aren't silly factions within single religions like Catholics, Orthodox and Protestants or Sunnis, Shi'ites and Ibadis who still fight over nuances within those religions anyway. People who want to be violent will always find a way regardless, religion is just an easy movement for violent to get behind (along with political movements and tribal movements).

I always find the problem is more that it's too common and easy for people to think that life is this grand sweeping movement and narrative which they play a big part of - overcoming some adversity with this one great goal in life. And so people use things like religion and political movements as they are the easiest way to attach yourself to that narrative and feel like you're a part of something - because that's what they sell themselves as - but they're all just minor fleeting moments and ultimately pointless. The Earth is a tiny spec in the universe and humans are a tiny spec in the Earth's existence - Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Confuscious, Ghengis Khan, Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Tiberius Gracchus, Nero, Socrates, Bismark, Adam Smith, Marx, Napoleon, Robespierre, Lenin, Hitler, Churchill - all names which will be forgotten in the end - all legacies (be they good or bad legacies) which will be forgotten in the end and only impacted on a tiny fraction of a fraction of time in a tiny fraction of a fraction of some forgettable corner of the universe - their legacies are essentially for nothing.

For me, the way to cut down on violent conflict is to constantly remind people that all these things people work themselves up about and use as excuses for violence - be they religious, some tribal/nationalist or some utopian political movements all mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. There's nothing so humbling and profound and nothing which makes people want to stop creating violence for the sake of wanting to be part of the is big sweeping narrative than reminding people that all those big sweeping narratives are dumb, not just the religious ones. It's also freeing and constantly reminds you life is too short and you should just enjoy the little things while you're here - you're friends and family, travelling and seeing the world or creating things which make you happy or whatever interests you personally and whatever you're own small individual goals you love are - because none of the big things ultimately matter.

The moment I realised I shouldn't be spending my life trying to chase some legacy to leave behind and to be "immortalised" either on my own or as part if some movement, as even the Great figures of history's legacies are ultimately pointless and about as far a way as immortal as you can get - was one of the most freeing and profound realisations of my life.

:appl:

There's an awful lot to that, and tbh I'd add that the best way to make the future better for everyone is to go for those small individual goals.

2 hours ago, Samilktray said:

I'm not sure posting nonsense makes something an unpopular opinion tbh 

You can disagree if you want but I can only assume you're calling it nonsense because your comprehension is impaired and it makes no sense to you. Over the last 50 years I've watched top professional football change into a marketing vehicle for fashion. As supporters we never used to need to style our hair like Gordon Banks or Alan Young, we didn't need to buy the same brand of boots as Joe Jordan or gloves like Peter Bonetti. We certainly couldn't care less what shampoo Allan Clarke washed his hair with or which razor Paul Ramsey used to make his cheeks look baby-like. Football at the highest level has been taken over as a financial and marketing toy. Kids follow the year's football fashion trend, they love Barcelona and Man city, they need to wear certain clothes and cut their hair in the same way. Top pro football has become more of a fashion and less of a sport.

btw I'm not quite sure why you're commenting on posting nonsense, I just checked your profile and your last few posts:

shut up then init

Stat padding system

Shit club who live off the fact an England player won the world cup whilst playing for them about 200 years ago. Bin them off

If that's not nonsense, it just goes to show we live in different universes.

35 minutes ago, FIF said:

You can disagree if you want but I can only assume you're calling it nonsense because your comprehension is impaired and it makes no sense to you. Over the last 50 years I've watched top professional football change into a marketing vehicle for fashion. As supporters we never used to need to style our hair like Gordon Banks or Alan Young, we didn't need to buy the same brand of boots as Joe Jordan or gloves like Peter Bonetti. We certainly couldn't care less what shampoo Allan Clarke washed his hair with or which razor Paul Ramsey used to make his cheeks look baby-like. Football at the highest level has been taken over as a financial and marketing toy. Kids follow the year's football fashion trend, they love Barcelona and Man city, they need to wear certain clothes and cut their hair in the same way. Top pro football has become more of a fashion and less of a sport.

btw I'm not quite sure why you're commenting on posting nonsense, I just checked your profile and your last few posts:

If that's not nonsense, it just goes to show we live in different universes.

George Best was on adverts, he was in the TOTP audience watching the Rolling Stones, he was dubbed "the fifth Beatle", he was cool. This was 50 years ago.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

George Best was on adverts, he was in the TOTP audience watching the Rolling Stones, he was dubbed "the fifth Beatle", he was cool. This was 50 years ago.

Which is why I said football and not george Best.

Just now, FIF said:

Which is why I said football and not george Best.

Nowadays the top flight is more of a "brand" and most top flight clubs, including us, are very commercial but surely kids have always looked upto their heroes?

3 minutes ago, baker11 said:

Sparkling water is alright you know.

What I love about sparkling water is you can shake the bottle, leave the lid off, wait a few hours then you've got a lovely refreshing drink

I am bothered by the amount of Beatles chat on this bastard forum recently. They weren't even that good.

• Like 1

Just now, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

What I love about sparkling water is you can shake the bottle, leave the lid off, wait a few hours then you've got a lovely refreshing drink

I am bothered by the amount of Beatles chat on this bastard forum recently. They weren't even that good.

@Fox92

Lookie Lookie Lookie above!

24QHRWf.gif

• Haha 1

On 3/16/2018 at 23:44, Wymeswold fox said:

There should be only one religion, so that everyone gets along with each other and less conflict about different ones views against one another.

This is why there is violence. Any devout follower of a religion believes they are right and attempts to convert everyone to their belief. If you can find one radical who doesn't want the world to subscribe to their belief I would be amazed.

5 minutes ago, Benguin said:

This is why there is violence. Any devout follower of a religion believes they are right and attempts to convert everyone to their belief. If you can find one radical who doesn't want the world to subscribe to their belief I would be amazed.

That's simply not true.

• Like 1