Jump to content
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Markyblue said:

I think 18 is about right,  let kids have a couple of years after leaving school to form their opinion of the world not their teachers opinion. 

 

That's right, castigate the teachers.

 

"Give them two years so I hope and pray that the right-wing media influence seeps into their psyche so they vote the way I want them to."

 

Young people are notoriously liberal and it's fair to say there are plenty of reasons for that other than teachers locking them in a school for six hours a day indoctrinating them with Marxism. How about liberal echo chambers? Minds free from the worries of adult life? The idealism that comes with liberal thinking etc etc.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

That's right, castigate the teachers.

 

"Give them two years so I hope and pray that the right-wing media influence seeps into their psyche so they vote the way I want them to."

 

Young people are notoriously liberal and it's fair to say there are plenty of reasons for that other than teachers locking them in a school for six hours a day indoctrinating them with Marxism. How about liberal echo chambers? Minds free from the worries of adult life? The idealism that comes with liberal thinking etc etc.

Ennit. What kind of teachers did people have at school FFS? Mine were more arsed about whether there was any contraband chuddy doing the rounds than preaching any political views they may or may not have had to the class.

 

Surely the fact this country more often than not elects a Tory government is a fairly big sign that the whole "schools are massive factories of political coercion" conspiracy theory is a crock of shit?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

That's right, castigate the teachers.

 

"Give them two years so I hope and pray that the right-wing media influence seeps into their psyche so they vote the way I want them to."

 

Young people are notoriously liberal and it's fair to say there are plenty of reasons for that other than teachers locking them in a school for six hours a day indoctrinating them with Marxism. How about liberal echo chambers? Minds free from the worries of adult life? The idealism that comes with liberal thinking etc etc.

Who mentioned left or right .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Ennit. What kind of teachers did people have at school FFS? Mine were more arsed about whether there was any contraband chuddy doing the rounds than preaching any political views they may or may not have had to the class.

 

Surely the fact this country more often than not elects a Tory government is a fairly big sign that the whole "schools are massive factories of political coercion" conspiracy theory is a crock of shit?

Some of mt teachers were left wing, I certainly remember that (and the ones I've got on Facebook still are) and we often ripped the piss out of one of them for her feminist views, looking back I don't know how we got away with some of it.

 

The teaching industry would be an interesting study on how and why so quickly the political viewpoint of the profession changed though - in 1983 Labour ministers said "**** them they are Tories" when the profession wanted a pay rise (source Rod Liddle when he worked for the Labour party campaign) and within 30 years it now seems to be almost exclusively left wing when you look at any polling.

 

It's not something that should bother anyone though as people will generally make their mind up after a few years of "working life" rather than the comfort of being at school all day.

 

Universities however we do need to take a look at whether the left influence is affecting issues like freedom of speech - it's one if the troubling things that as society seems to be broadening it's mind more to having debates on difficult things like religion and immigration our academia may be closing theirs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MattP did you go Longslade? I know you're a bit older than me but I don't know why I've got this feeling we went to the same schools?

 

Might be someone else on here. Think Lisoh did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

@MattP did you go Longslade? I know you're a bit older than me but I don't know why I've got this feeling we went to the same schools?

 

Might be someone else on here. Think Lisoh did. 

Me and @Ashley did, think a fair few more too. 

 

My wife's current school is part of the same trust as Cedars Academy, as it's now known, and I get the impression that it's seen as the runt of the litter lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MattP said:

Some of mt teachers were left wing, I certainly remember that (and the ones I've got on Facebook still are) and we often ripped the piss out of one of them for her feminist views, looking back I don't know how we got away with some of it.

 

The teaching industry would be an interesting study on how and why so quickly the political viewpoint of the profession changed though - in 1983 Labour ministers said "**** them they are Tories" when the profession wanted a pay rise (source Rod Liddle when he worked for the Labour party campaign) and within 30 years it now seems to be almost exclusively left wing when you look at any polling.

 

It's not something that should bother anyone though as people will generally make their mind up after a few years of "working life" rather than the comfort of being at school all day.

 

Universities however we do need to take a look at whether the left influence is affecting issues like freedom of speech - it's one if the troubling things that as society seems to be broadening it's mind more to having debates on difficult things like religion and immigration our academia may be closing theirs.

 

Those of my teachers who expressed views (about half) promoted very right-wing attitudes, though not often party political. None promoted left-wing ideas.

Admittedly that was in the 1970s at a state grammar school in the south-east....under a head who really would have liked to have been head of a private school.

 

I remember one teacher doing a hands-up poll of the class as to who we'd vote for (without expressing a view himself). I was 1 of 3 boys who said they'd vote Labour. There were a similar number of Liberals but most were Tories. Most of us based on parental influence, I presume. By 6th Form several lads had become Labour supporters - due to the radicalism of youth, presumably, certainly not due to the influence of teachers. I expect many are Tories again now or worse! :D

 

Just double-checked with my daughter, who confirmed what I expected about her school. Her teachers almost never comment on politics, never mind indoctrinating people. One even refused to say when girls asked his views.

There's one teacher who's made the odd passing comment about Trotsky but as part of his "image", I think - wild hair, long coat, wants to see himself as alternative (though seems a good, caring teacher).

Otherwise, all she's noticed is one or two rolling eyes when Trump has been mentioned, nothing on UK politics.

 

I'm sure a majority of teachers now vote left, not right, for the reasons @David Guiza mentioned. But my impression is that teachers are too busy abiding by every dot and comma of the curriculum, worrying about performance indicators and exam league tables, and dealing with disruptive kids to have the time to indoctrinate people.

 

Interesting you see feminism as inherently left-wing. Theresa May used to wear a feminist badge or T-shirt, didn't she? And many of the suffragettes were Tory-supporting upper middle-class women.

I've certainly met women in recent decades who saw themselves as feminists but were otherwise right-wing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Me and @Ashley did, think a fair few more too. 

 

My wife's current school is part of the same trust as Cedars Academy, as it's now known, and I get the impression that it's seen as the runt of the litter lol

 

Can definitely think of an English teacher that fits Matt's description is why I say. Only teacher in however many years education I ever got a hint of their politics and even she never mentioned any political parties or state politics of any kind. 

 

But was a raging hippy and an open bisexual with very Liberal social politics. 

 

I can't say she ever pushed them on anyone and I'd say by the time I met her my own politics were already largely forming anyway but she was definitely the absolute 100% stereotype that the Tories in this thread like to fantasize are brainwashing kids. 

 

Which is pretty funny given the biggest brainwashing machine in this country and the world is the right wing, pro capitalist media machine that's brainwashed them. Even down to the point of programming them to roll their eyes and shout conspiracy theorist if you point that out. 

 

I mean, literally the majority of these institutions are owned by billionaires and multi millionaires with vested interests in a right wing, capitalist dominated system. Of course they're spreading a biased message. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

dunno what sort of weirdo kids all of you were but if most my teachers told me to vote one way, the whole of our school would've voted the other. 

 

Pretty much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter told me that a teacher at her school (not sure if was before the 2010 or 2015 GE) said if the Tories get in then kids would have to go to school six days a week.

She reckoned they were being serious too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

 

Can definitely think of an English teacher that fits Matt's description is why I say. Only teacher in however many years education I ever got a hint of their politics and even she never mentioned any political parties or state politics of any kind. 

 

But was a raging hippy and an open bisexual with very Liberal social politics. 

 

I can't say she ever pushed them on anyone and I'd say by the time I met her my own politics were already largely forming anyway but she was definitely the absolute 100% stereotype that the Tories in this thread like to fantasize are brainwashing kids. 

 

Which is pretty funny given the biggest brainwashing machine in this country and the world is the right wing, pro capitalist media machine that's brainwashed them. Even down to the point of programming them to roll their eyes and shout conspiracy theorist if you point that out. 

 

I mean, literally the majority of these institutions are owned by billionaires and multi millionaires with vested interests in a right wing, capitalist dominated system. Of course they're spreading a biased message. 

Think she may have left by the time I started, or I've just completely forgotten her! I was picturing a Science teacher with that description who had been there for years when I started. 

 

I've seen one of my old English teachers at gigs in the past, most recently three or four years ago with his head in his hands trying not to throw up outside a Babyshambles gig. I can't imagine he's been ticking Tory in the polling booths in fairness.

 

As an aside, when my wife had to visit my old school for some sort of training she told me about 'Cedar's Stars' display in the new building that featured two lads in the year below me who have achieved next to nothing bar being blue ticked on Twitter and didn't mention my friend who won a stage at Tour De France or a lad in the year below who is in the West End. Not cool, Longslade.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Secondary Schools have Leftwing fanatics in their Teachers ranks..

Public Schools Full of rightwing despots in their ranks...!!!

 

we are all doomed.!! Kids are robots and are easy brainwashed....:tumbleweed:

 

Advantage of being a kid ,you can Listen even argue over All the Political codswallop put in Front of you,

Then One starts to mature,mentality as well as physically,the kids will be influenced by their social-surroundings,but still use their 'own individual' reasoning

to lean towards the Left or right, and like every Single One of you,despite any teacher,parent,even friend or peers "reasonable" argumentative demands,the individual will still make their own bed of Political beliefs.I

 

I Doubt anybody in this forum can Pick a Political-Party to follow,none of you can Pick a city Quality Future or present player,so I summise ones politics are

also as so ill judged....:frantics:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest MattP
2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

@MattP did you go Longslade? I know you're a bit older than me but I don't know why I've got this feeling we went to the same schools?

 

Might be someone else on here. Think Lisoh did. 

Nah I went Brookvale and Groby Community College.

 

Over time I remember some weird stuff, Science teacher going on a rant that lasted a whole lesson about private healthcare was the nadir, actually it was in music class we danced around pretending to be tribes from the first nations - the intention of that was to be liberal as well and in hindsight it was like an extension of the minstrel show.

 

Ironically the best teacher I ever had was a humanities one called Mr Higgs and he wouldn't tell me who he voted for when I asked him, I went from a C to an A under him all within a year and all he basically did was make sure I was taken an interest in current affairs.

 

Although I've been working in a school for the last couple of years on a part time basis and I have managed to seek out a couple of Tories - they are often the ones who just don't express political views at work anymore.

 

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Interesting you see feminism as inherently left-wing. Theresa May used to wear a feminist badge or T-shirt, didn't she? And many of the suffragettes were Tory-supporting upper middle-class women.

I've certainly met women in recent decades who saw themselves as feminists but were otherwise right-wing.

You sure that was Theresa May? I remember Harman and Lucas wearing them but not her. I remember the faux outrage from the Twitter mob when on The One Show she did girls jobs and Philip did boys' jobs.

 

Is feminism left wing? Historically probably not, first wave feminism of rights and equality for all would be both left and right, second wave I'd put in more with the left even of it carried a lot of libertarian thinking. Didn't some of them even support Barry Goldwater?

 

What it is now with third wave feminism I have no idea as it's clashing with the second wave feminists on issues such as trans rights, even to the point of attempting to no platform people like Julie Bindel. I doubt many on the right or left want to subscribe to this view that women are not equal but better than men or that beauticians should be forced to wax a "women's" testicles. Some of this nonsense was actually being supported by Conservative government up until December. The Labour party at the same time had a shadow equalities minister in Dawn Butler who was prepared to go on TV and announce babies were born without a sex.

 

The whole thing has all gone a bit batshit mental and its hard to analyse it politically, let alone trying to draw it up on the Overton window.

 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Which is pretty funny given the biggest brainwashing machine in this country and the world is the right wing, pro capitalist media machine that's brainwashed them. Even down to the point of programming them to roll their eyes and shout conspiracy theorist if you point that out. 

 

I mean, literally the majority of these institutions are owned by billionaires and multi millionaires with vested interests in a right wing, capitalist dominated system. Of course they're spreading a biased message. 

The BBC is comfortably the most watched media in this country and that has a grotesque liberal bias totally out of touch with anywhere but urban Britain, we have a predominantly right wing print press but that's become less and less relevant, I think the circulation of the Sun, Mail and Express is below 2million now.

 

As for the bottom bit, they don't always get there own way - look at Brexit, backed by the government, the opposition, every other party in parliament, the IMF, the CBI, every major leader and institution in the World and 17.4 million told them to get lost.

 

That's not to say Brexit didn't have some powerful backing if course, it did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MattP said:

 

You sure that was Theresa May? I remember Harman and Lucas wearing them but not her. I remember the faux outrage from the Twitter mob when on The One Show she did girls jobs and Philip did boys' jobs.

 

image.jpeg.c46d8129d2a3f744cb6e75373b7e81fa.jpeg

 

14 minutes ago, MattP said:

 

Is feminism left wing? Historically probably not, first wave feminism of rights and equality for all would be both left and right, second wave I'd put in more with the left even of it carried a lot of libertarian thinking. Didn't some of them even support Barry Goldwater?

 

What it is now with third wave feminism I have no idea as it's clashing with the second wave feminists on issues such as trans rights, even to the point of attempting to no platform people like Julie Bindel. I doubt many on the right or left want to subscribe to this view that women are not equal but better than men or that beauticians should be forced to wax a "women's" testicles. Some of this nonsense was actually being supported by Conservative government up until December. The Labour party at the same time had a shadow equalities minister in Dawn Butler who was prepared to go on TV and announce babies were born without a sex.

 

 

Butler seems to combine dimness and a desire to be right-on. In this instance, I think her dimness while trying to be right-on might caused her to confuse sex and gender.

 

This explains it quite well for me: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/232363

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest MattP
Just now, Alf Bentley said:

 

image.jpeg.c46d8129d2a3f744cb6e75373b7e81fa.jpeg

Butler seems to combine dimness and a desire to be right-on. In this instance, I think her dimness while trying to be right-on might caused her to confuse sex and gender.

 

This explains it quite well for me: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/232363

 

I stand corrected lol that picture looks like the Twitter profile of a #FBPE type from the Cotswolds. Pretty sure I'll have a nightmare about that tonight.

 

I presumed that was what Butler meant, the shadow equalities minister not knowing the difference between sex and gender sums up the Corbyn opposition quite aptly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MattP said:

I stand corrected lol that picture looks like the Twitter profile of a #FBPE type from the Cotswolds. Pretty sure I'll have a nightmare about that tonight.

 

I presumed that was what Butler meant, the shadow equalities minister not knowing the difference between sex and gender sums up the Corbyn opposition quite aptly.

Do you mind, that is my MP your slandering :mad:

(She never got my vote..)

 

You would never find me doing Keith Vaz such a disservice during his tenure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, MattP said:

The BBC is comfortably the most watched media in this country and that has a grotesque liberal bias totally out of touch with anywhere but urban Britain, we have a predominantly right wing print press but that's become less and less relevant, I think the circulation of the Sun, Mail and Express is below 2million now.

 

thought kuenssburg literally had to hire a body guard because she was such a raving tory the bbc thought people were going to try and kill her? 

 

you can manipulate most things to come across as bias tbh. haven't even half the newspapers you mention swapped sides based on whats best for the people who write/own them? 

Edited by ScouseFox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest MattP
Just now, ScouseFox said:

thought kuenssburg literally had to hire a body guard because she was such a raving tory the bbc thought people were going to try and kill her? 

If anyone seriously though Kuenssberg was a Tory they were deranged, she was anti-Corbyn certainly, like most of the BBC she's an urban liberal who hated Brexit and given Jeremy's Eurosceptic credentials were more concrete than Farage's in terms of voting record he was fair game.

 

Liberalism doesn't equate to being left wing, economic liberals are now further to the right than Sunak and Johnson are. If you want fiscal Conservatism in it's Thatcherite form the Liberal Democrats are probably now the party to vote for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...