Jump to content
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, David Guiza said:

People who blare out music so loud that it can literally be heard on the next street should face life sentences. Unless you are performing to three/four/five figure crowds you do not need it that loud and it is clearly done to irk neighbours or to show off that you have awful taste in music to anybody who can hear it. This may be reactionary from getting a crap night of sleep as a result of the same, but I stand by this. 

 

I am a huge music lover but, outside of certain songs in the car or at a gig etc, I get no more enjoyment from listening to it at a normal volume than I do at full blast. Maybe i'm missing something. 

I'll second this, its even worse when the type of music they play is shite. Extra shite when they smoke strong weed in the garden and the music they play has adverts every other song :facepalm:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 2020, I really dont understand how seemingly intelligent people can believe in a God when you consider the ease of access we have to information. It absolutely baffles me. The only reason I can think of is either family pressure, blind faith to get them through times of hardship, or trying to fit in to their local society but even that wouldnt be 'belief'.

 

I get it in times gone by where access to information was limited to what the state told you or what the local /national media told you or what a town crier told you or what a guy on a donkey told you.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

In 2020, I really dont understand how anyone with even a moderate level of intelligence can believe in a God when you consider the ease of access we have to information. It absolutely baffles me. The only reason I can think of is either family pressure, blind faith to get them through times of hardship, or trying to fit in to their local society but even that wouldnt be 'belief'.

 

I get it in times gone by where access to information was limited to what the state told you or what the local /national media told you or what a town crier told you or what a guy on a donkey told you.

For me it's more about a belief that this isn't it. Like, when you die, that's the end. Otherwise I'd wonder what the point is really?

 

I find it really hard to fathom that everything exists because of some atoms splitting or whatever it is either. How could all the phenomenally amazing things that exist in nature have just happened by accident? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

For me it's more about a belief that this isn't it. Like, when you die, that's the end. Otherwise I'd wonder what the point is really?

 

I find it really hard to fathom that everything exists because of some atoms splitting or whatever it is either. How could all the phenomenally amazing things that exist in nature have just happened by accident? 

There is no point, we just enjoy the ride while we're live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Nalis said:

In 2020, I really dont understand how anyone with even a moderate level of intelligence can believe in a God when you consider the ease of access we have to information. It absolutely baffles me. The only reason I can think of is either family pressure, blind faith to get them through times of hardship, or trying to fit in to their local society but even that wouldnt be 'belief'.

 

I get it in times gone by where access to information was limited to what the state told you or what the local /national media told you or what a town crier told you or what a guy on a donkey told you.

I think you're confusing Abrahamic religious doctrine with belief that the universe had some kind of creator. Or that God has to be an interventionist one

I agree that there's no point in letting it affect your decision making and I don't believe in free-will anyway and quantum mechanics suggests our universe is just pretty random.

However, it's not exactly obscure scientific thinking to believe in multiverse and that our universe might just be a small pocket inside or adjacent to another universe/many other universes. It's the same fundamental concept - you keep zooming out at the macro level - back in time, back in the multiverse and eventually you have to get back to one event or simultaneous events - one thing (or group of things) which either always existed or just appeared from nothing one day - which everything afterwards in the entire multiverse (long dead universes included) had to stem from. But one of those things has to be true.

I suppose it depends on whether that thing (which was either always here or was the first thing which appeared out of nothing) has consciousness or not and knows whether we even exist.And whether that matters as to whether you'd call it a "God" or not (even if it's just one single atom which appeared out of nowhere at some point).

The concept of nothingness and something just appearing and being something is incomprehensible, but so is the only alternative - that something always has existed. Which side you fall and that or whether you want to call that God or not is ultimately unknowable really.

I don't think it's likely that whatever this universe stemmed from or whether it always was really affects how I live my life, but similarly, there's absolutely no way anyone can categorically deny it - let alone call people stupid for thinking that whatever the first thing that either always existed or appeared one day in the universe might have some kind of consciousness.

 

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you leave the Coronavirus thread because you feel lost and sad at the lack of debate, but you wander into an existential discussion in the unpopular opinions thread.

 

Feels like home lol

 

1FA2DB36-023F-4EBA-B9FA-DFBA26DD9987.jpeg.ca6174c948a3599711afae2b73061758.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

For me it's more about a belief that this isn't it. Like, when you die, that's the end. Otherwise I'd wonder what the point is really?

 

I find it really hard to fathom that everything exists because of some atoms splitting or whatever it is either. How could all the phenomenally amazing things that exist in nature have just happened by accident? 

Evolution?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

When you leave the Coronavirus thread because you feel lost and sad at the lack of debate, but you wander into an existential discussion in the unpopular opinions thread.

 

Feels like home lol

 

1FA2DB36-023F-4EBA-B9FA-DFBA26DD9987.jpeg.ca6174c948a3599711afae2b73061758.jpeg

Prefer the COVID stuff tbh lol 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People who abuse/attack NHS staff and police who are just doing their jobs in public should be barred from being treated in hospital and find their own way of being treated as punishment.

 

Sounds like there's been an increase on people spitting at key workers during this pandemic.

Edited by Wymsey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

People who abuse/attack NHS staff and police who are just doing their jobs in public should be barred from being treated in hospital and find their own way of being treated as punishment.

 

Sounds like there's been an increase on people spitting at key workers during this pandemic.

Attempted man slaughter. The end.

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I think you're confusing Abrahamic religious doctrine with belief that the universe had some kind of creator. Or that God has to be an interventionist one

I agree that there's no point in letting it affect your decision making and I don't believe in free-will anyway and quantum mechanics suggests our universe is just pretty random.

However, it's not exactly obscure scientific thinking to believe in multiverse and that our universe might just be a small pocket inside or adjacent to another universe/many other universes. It's the same fundamental concept - you keep zooming out at the macro level - back in time, back in the multiverse and eventually you have to get back to one event or simultaneous events - one thing (or group of things) which either always existed or just appeared from nothing one day - which everything afterwards in the entire multiverse (long dead universes included) had to stem from. But one of those things has to be true.

I suppose it depends on whether that thing (which was either always here or was the first thing which appeared out of nothing) has consciousness or not and knows whether we even exist.And whether that matters as to whether you'd call it a "God" or not (even if it's just one single atom which appeared out of nowhere at some point).

The concept of nothingness and something just appearing and being something is incomprehensible, but so is the only alternative - that something always has existed. Which side you fall and that or whether you want to call that God or not is ultimately unknowable really.

I don't think it's likely that whatever this universe stemmed from or whether it always was really affects how I live my life, but similarly, there's absolutely no way anyone can categorically deny it - let alone call people stupid for thinking that whatever the first thing that either always existed or appeared one day in the universe might have some kind of consciousness.

 

Mind-Blowing Books - 5 Books You MUST Read In 2020

 

Move over Brian cox, we have a new local astrophysicist in our midst :appl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I think you're confusing Abrahamic religious doctrine with belief that the universe had some kind of creator. Or that God has to be an interventionist one

I agree that there's no point in letting it affect your decision making and I don't believe in free-will anyway and quantum mechanics suggests our universe is just pretty random.

However, it's not exactly obscure scientific thinking to believe in multiverse and that our universe might just be a small pocket inside or adjacent to another universe/many other universes. It's the same fundamental concept - you keep zooming out at the macro level - back in time, back in the multiverse and eventually you have to get back to one event or simultaneous events - one thing (or group of things) which either always existed or just appeared from nothing one day - which everything afterwards in the entire multiverse (long dead universes included) had to stem from. But one of those things has to be true.

I suppose it depends on whether that thing (which was either always here or was the first thing which appeared out of nothing) has consciousness or not and knows whether we even exist.And whether that matters as to whether you'd call it a "God" or not (even if it's just one single atom which appeared out of nowhere at some point).

The concept of nothingness and something just appearing and being something is incomprehensible, but so is the only alternative - that something always has existed. Which side you fall and that or whether you want to call that God or not is ultimately unknowable really.

I don't think it's likely that whatever this universe stemmed from or whether it always was really affects how I live my life, but similarly, there's absolutely no way anyone can categorically deny it - let alone call people stupid for thinking that whatever the first thing that either always existed or appeared one day in the universe might have some kind of consciousness.

 

The multiuniverse concept I can get, it's more of why those are so sure of a specific mantra being the true religion.

 

Also, I should have clarified on my original first sentence, it wasnt that I thought all believers were idiots but that I dont get how seemingly intelligent people do believe, my bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Nalis said:

In 2020, I really dont understand how seemingly intelligent people can believe in a God when you consider the ease of access we have to information. It absolutely baffles me. The only reason I can think of is either family pressure, blind faith to get them through times of hardship, or trying to fit in to their local society but even that wouldnt be 'belief'.

 

I get it in times gone by where access to information was limited to what the state told you or what the local /national media told you or what a town crier told you or what a guy on a donkey told you.

Most people believe something either because they've been persuaded by objective facts or by the subjective opinion of someone they trust or by a community they trust or because they want to believe it and that belief does not interfere with their life.

 

"God" can also be left to some interpretation, as a physical being but also as an abstract concept. 

 

People have many different reasons to believe in God and many different perceptions of what God is.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

Most people believe something either because they've been persuaded by objective facts or by the subjective opinion of someone they trust or by a community they trust or because they want to believe it and that belief does not interfere with their life.

 

"God" can also be left to some interpretation, as a physical being but also as an abstract concept. 

 

People have many different reasons to believe in God and many different perceptions of what God is.

I agree with some of your points but disagree with others. To be fair my thoughts are largrly aligned with Sampson and leicsmac however they articulated better than I ever could. 

 

A lot of posts between leicsmac and the fox were deleted so maybe thats a sign to end the debate on this thread and agree / agree to disagree where applicable (even though I opened up the can of worms in the first place lol ).

Edited by Nalis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I agree with some of your points but disagree with others. To be fair my thoughts are largrly aligned with Sampson and leicsmac however they articulated better than I ever could. 

 

A lot of posts between leicsmac and the fox were deleted so maybe thats a sign to end the debate on this thread and agree / agree to disagree where applicable (even though I opened up the can of worms in the first place lol ).

Fair enough, didn't notice a bunch of stuff got deleted, just thought it was an interesting topic!.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a fascinating subject and I've spent countless hours watching debates on Atheism v Religion, How the universe came to be etc etc...Many discussions with religious leaders and the likes of Hitchens, Dawkins krauss etc...

 

I hope the discussion is allowed to carry on here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

It's a fascinating subject and I've spent countless hours watching debates on Atheism v Religion, How the universe came to be etc etc...Many discussions with religious leaders and the likes of Hitchens, Dawkins krauss etc...

 

I hope the discussion is allowed to carry on here.

I'm not at all religious, but I really enjoy listening to people like Stephen Meyer and John Lennox. Their talks on Intelligent Design / DNA etc are fascinating and really thought provoking. I also find their tone and the way they conduct themselves far more agreeable than those of the New Atheists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I know Why the UK, is in a fking mess.....

politicians have Not ran the Country for years...

we have created a New position for unelected powerful  "advisors" to make Major descisions..

And the UK electorate  accept it..!!!!

  Even defending These ideology of descisions,on a Left or Right Bias...& Basis...

 

Forgeting this Advisor's ,if he may have or mag  not have broken statuary law,but he definitely upset the UK  People on a very important moral  stand point....

He should Not  be in any position to be allowed to make a Press Conference..!!!   He is being made into some Type of a Political VIP....

Democracy has died..!!!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Now I know Why the UK, is in a fking mess.....

politicians have Not ran the Country for years...

we have created a New position for unelected powerful  "advisors" to make Major descisions..

And the UK electorate  accept it..!!!!

  Even defending These ideology of descisions,on a Left or Right Bias...& Basis...

 

Forgeting this Advisor's ,if he may have or mag  not have broken statuary law,but he definitely upset the UK  People on a very important moral  stand point....

He should Not  be in any position to be allowed to make a Press Conference..!!!   He is being made into some Type of a Political VIP....

Democracy has died..!!!!

Every government ever has had advisors, it’s just that Cummings has a massive ego and rose to prominence because of his Brexit campaign with Vote Leave (might have been another campaign)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People need to reject culture wars. We're seeing indefensible actions constantly defended for fear of enabling some "other side". To that end I have gained respect for a number of Conservative MPs for speaking out against their own party leader even if they may hold other views that I strongly disagree with. Integrity should be a requirement regardless of political allegiance.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Every government ever has had advisors, it’s just that Cummings has a massive ego and rose to prominence because of his Brexit campaign with Vote Leave (might have been another campaign)

Advisors over All, including in big businesses,have taken or walked into a too far a prominence....

They should be low-key...but we have Openned up into a very egoistic society,where People believe they are more irraplacable and have more right than others...I

I Don t even believe he should be allowed to be given that prominence,to make a Press conference.....

Doctors and nurses have been warned even threatened by their NHS authorities Not to make statements.....What right has he to be heard..!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Advisors over All, including in big businesses,have taken or walked into a too far a prominence....

They should be low-key...but we have Openned up into a very egoistic society,where People believe they are more irraplacable and have more right than others...I

I Don t even believe he should be allowed to be given that prominence,to make a Press conference.....

Doctors and nurses have been warned even threatened by their NHS authorities Not to make statements.....What right has he to be heard..!!

Because he’s been involved in a massive scandal? That’s why he’s fronting a press conference 

Edited by Stadt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...