bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

With possible exception of children who have sadly died, no more burying the dead - cremations only.

Cemetaries getting full and individual  graves only tend to get neglected* after family/relatives die in any case. The cemetary in general costs the local authority a few bob to maintain and the land could be put to better use.

Mourn your loved ones in a garden of remembrance and/or where you scatter the ashes.

* With the notable exception of many war cemeteries.

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

With possible exception of children who have sadly died, no more burying the dead - cremations only.

Cemetaries getting full and individual  graves only tend to get neglected* after family/relatives die in any case. The cemetary in general costs the local authority a few bob to maintain and the land could be put to better use.

Mourn your loved ones in a garden of remembrance and/or where you scatter the ashes.

Not to mention the deleterious effect on any potential zombie outbreak 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Reminded me of something random - in the graveyard my uncle and my grandparents are buried, I was having a look at some other gravestones and thought the whole 'erected by' (joke away people) was a bit egotistical.

Then I saw one where the 'Erected by' beloved son [x] in absolutely massive letters at the top with the guy that died stated in smallish writing below, followed by what looked like the deceased's wife and other children. The son obviously wanted the glory of having the world know he paid for it and that to him was more important than his father dying. The  date of death was in the 1990s but I remember thinking if the son was still proud of his actions 20+ years on.

We were lucky at Man City. I’m a bit fed up of seeing Rodgers’ tactical genius praised when we were lucky to be in the game at all going into half time. The second half we were excellent but only after we abandoned being horrifically passive.

Luck plays a far bigger part in football than we all like to admit 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Having buried both my parents and my youngest brother over the last few years (all in the same plot), I can tell you burial is not cheap. Those that elect for burial pay a premium. It's not the council. The money they make from burials and cremations funds the upkeep of cemeteries. Although I see your point about them getting full, it should be up to the individual to state their preference in their Will. There are also many religions that don't accept cremation.

My family members were buried, my wife's parents were cremated. I always feel I have more then she does when we visit the respective cemeteries.

Edited by Parafox
Just now, Parafox said:

Having buried both my parents and my youngest brother over the last few years (all in the same plot), I can tell you burial is not cheap. Those that elect for burial pay a premium. It's not the council. The money they make from burials and cremations funds the upkeep of cemeteries. Although I see your point about them getting full, it should be up to the individual to state their preference in their Will. There are also many religions that don't accept cremation.

Sorry to hear that buddy. 

• Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We were lucky at Man City. I’m a bit fed up of seeing Rodgers’ tactical genius praised when we were lucky to be in the game at all going into half time. The second half we were excellent but only after we abandoned being horrifically passive.

You've had a drink... :P

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

We forced an equaliser against the run of play. That isnt lucky.

If Sterling thumped it back to Ederson with no pressure only for Ederson to fvck up and let it go in, then you might have a point.

10 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

There should be a 2 child limit in some way for families, were overpopulating the planet.

By 'we' I assume you mean globally and not the UK?

If you mean the UK, our birth rate has been below replacement rate for years, it's only net migration that's increasing our population so rapidly.

If you mean globally, I can agree to an extent, but how would you even go about enforcing it?

Just now, DennisNedry said:

If you mean the UK, our birth rate has been below replacement rate for years, it's only net migration that's increasing our population so rapidly.

If you mean globally, I can agree to an extent, but how would you even go about enforcing it?

Globally as a whole, i weep every time David Attenborough comes on the tele telling us we've ****ed up the planet. 

Only humane thing i could think of is supply condoms free for everyone on every continent? 

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

You still have to set up to maximise your luck. Of course we got lucky in the literal sense of the word, we weren't in control Man City's moronic defending in the penalty area and we weren't controlling Pep's mind to force him to make the sub on 50 mins after which it fell apart from them. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

There should be a 2 child limit in some way for families, were overpopulating the planet.

But Singles can spread them around a bit...:P

This Planet is Not overpopulated, its disatriously organised.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Stadt said:

Okay, I’ll bite on this one. 
Absolutely no luck involved in this game. Yes Man City had a lot of possession, but first half other than Mahrez’ worldie of a strike, they never looked like scoring.

They had 5 shots on target for the game, two goals and three routine saves for Kasper. 
Contrast this with the way we cut them apart for our 2nd goal. They simply couldn’t defend against it. Madison then popped up with another worldie. 
We did get three penalties but look carefully at them, all three came from identical moves a ball that was played between two defenders allowing Vardy twice and then Madison to slip through in front of the back line and poor defending meant they were brought down every time. 
Watch Man City v Lyon in the Champions League, this is exactly what they did, defence splitting passes have been identified as a massive weakness for Man City, no doubt BR would have watched Man City’s defeats recently, identified the weakness and exploited it with huge success.

It was an absolute tactical master class from Vardy man marking Rodri, to the way he played 3 at the back with Amartey tucking in at RB and allowing Castagne to advance further forwards. 
Justin played in a more advanced role in the left side, which often occupies Walkers mind allowing Barnes to come inside and the Walker to be caught out of position for the first penalty.

Tielemans played in an amazing translation role allowing us to soak up man city’s advances, wait for the attacks to break down and then quickly get them on the back foot.

This was the very definition of a tactical masterclass here, BR has completely out coached Guardiola, he has identified weakness and exploited then to the fullest.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

Easiest and most positive way is to improve the living conditions in all countries.

It has been proven for years that the number of child births per family drops when they and their community, see an increase in their their living conditions.

The planet is UNDOUBTABLY overpopulated.. but it is also badly managed

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 3
On 28/09/2020 at 17:26, Free Falling Foxes said:

War cemeteries from WW1 and 2 are looked after by Commonwealth War Graves Commission - look them up if you have a chance.

I did a bit of work for them last year and it was truly humbling. One of those organisations that you have no idea that they exist unless you are involved in some way.

• Like 2
On 28/09/2020 at 21:19, Silebyfox_89 said:

Globally as a whole, i weep every time David Attenborough comes on the tele telling us we've ****ed up the planet. 

Only humane thing i could think of is supply condoms free for everyone on every continent? 

If only we were hit by a global pandemic - now that would cut the population down a bit, wouldn't it? :ph34r:

• Haha 2
On 28/09/2020 at 17:26, Free Falling Foxes said:

It's all leased anyway? I thought once there's no family left people are dug up. Pretty sure you get 100 years lease, sort of thing.

Obviously not with the older graves. Some old graves are really spectacular though with no sort of uniform headstones.

Edited by Fox92
On 15/09/2020 at 15:57, Stadt said:

Us throwing away champions league qualification was a worse bottle job than anything Spurs have done 

I think the obsession with calling Tottenham bottlers on here of all places is ridiculous, as that implies that they had in their control - they didn't, at any point. Yes they choked before we did but they were always the chasers. What we do when we call Tottenham bottlers, is actually play down our own achievement.

Them coming 3rd was ****ing hilarious mind. Arsenal fans had good reason to laugh a lot given the history of them not finishing above Arsenal in so long, though that's obviously now changed.

• Like 3

Italians really know what they're doing when it comes to food.

However, ragu (or 'bolognese' as we incorrectly call it) is absolute crap.

Tinned tomatoes completely ruin a good pack of mince.

3 hours ago, Saxondale said:

Italians really know what they're doing when it comes to food.

However, ragu (or 'bolognese' as we incorrectly call it) is absolute crap.

Tinned tomatoes completely ruin a good pack of mince.

Sunday gravy is the way to do it. Tinned toms simmered for hours with browned meat and sausages in them.  Basil and garlic. Take the meat out and the sauce has so much flavour a small amount, just coating the pasta, is happy days.

Also, the pasta should finish cooking after tossed in the sauce, just for a minute or too. Applies to ragu also. 

• Like 1