Jump to content
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

'Bap' is just a term that was never used in Leicester when I was growing up. 

Maybe now - when admittedly the language has become more generic, less specific - certainly less regional -  things have changed. 

'Cobs' could be hard or soft by the way. 

“Get ya baps out” was a not uncommon greeting back in the day 

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stoopid said:

'Bap' is just a term that was never used in Leicester when I was growing up. 

Maybe now - when admittedly the language has become more generic, less specific - certainly less regional -  things have changed. 

'Cobs' could be hard or soft by the way. 

Not sure how old you are mate, but I'm 55 and we had baps when i was a kid.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Webbo said:

Not sure how old you are mate, but I'm 55 and we had baps when i was a kid.

Yes,baps (bread wise) to me means a soft cob or roll if you prefer.The sort of thing you’d put a burger in.I’m not quite as old as you but everyone I knew would know the difference when I was a kid.Mothers Pride did nice baps I seem to remember.In the southeast hardly anyone knows what a cob is.It’s either a hard or soft roll.Yorkshire where everything tends to be barn or tea cake,is a flat bigger version of the bap.Well that’s been my experience.It’s pretty hard to get anything resembling a cob outside the midlands.I miss Coombs so much.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bamboo said:

Not adopting a 'minimalist' approach to living is such a waste of non-renewable resource and is damaging to us as conscious beings. Less is more, in all almost every aspect of human life. 


 

did you use a non-minimalist mobile phone/ tablet/ laptop/ computer to write this post? 
 

:whistle:

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bamboo said:

Not adopting a 'minimalist' approach to living is such a waste of non-renewable resource and is damaging to us as conscious beings. Less is more, in all almost every aspect of human life. 

Well our squad is certainly adopting that philosophy this season 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Webbo said:

Not sure how old you are mate, but I'm 55 and we had baps when i was a kid.

Well, I'm a little older - basically grew up in the 60s in inner Leicester - round Highfields,  and I stand by what I said. Strictly cob city mate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bamboo said:

Not adopting a 'minimalist' approach to living is such a waste of non-renewable resource and is damaging to us as conscious beings. Less is more, in all almost every aspect of human life. 

In my experience, more is more and less is less in almost every aspect of human life. The only way for mankind to stop ruining the planet is if he has a mass cull of his own species and everyone left reverts back to stone-age living, which ain't gonna happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, String fellow said:

In my experience, more is more and less is less in almost every aspect of human life. The only way for mankind to stop ruining the planet is if he has a mass cull of his own species and everyone left reverts back to stone-age living, which ain't gonna happen.

Nah, neo-Malthusianism and anarcho-primitivism (former and latter of the viewpoints there) are both critically flawed in their own way.

 

Technological advances and increased quality of life have already shown that they slow down population growth and resource crises are almost always a matter of logistics rather than scarcity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

Formula 1 and motorsport in general is overwhelmingly boring. 

Agreed. Though I'm not sure which I find dullest - Motorsport or Tennis. 

Just don't get the obsession with cars etc that so many people seem to have. 

Genuinely think the world would be a better place if they'd never been invented. 

As for tennis - dear God, I can't stick it. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

Formula 1 and motorsport in general is overwhelmingly boring. 

I agree F1 has been boring for a while, but it was far from boring during the 70's/80's/90's IMO

 

I think most Moto GP and Superbikes is good viewing though. Rarely a boring race in those and often lots of overtaking and close finishes.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stoopid said:

Agreed. Though I'm not sure which I find dullest - Motorsport or Tennis. 

Just don't get the obsession with cars etc that so many people seem to have. 

Genuinely think the world would be a better place if they'd never been invented. 

As for tennis - dear God, I can't stick it. 

Can't stand watching it but I love playing it. Strange.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

F1 is superb. Can't beat a lazy Sunday afternoon watching the grand prix.

I get it's not so competitive right now, but I love it for the same reason I used to love playing wargames when I was younger. It's all the stats and maths behind it. The technical aspect of how tyres work, the strategy of the pitstops/usage of the right tyre types, predictions of how different car builds can shave a tenth of a second off a lap time. The me, it satisfies the nerdy IT/data worker in me more than any other sport.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Agreed. Though I'm not sure which I find dullest - Motorsport or Tennis. 

Just don't get the obsession with cars etc that so many people seem to have. 

Genuinely think the world would be a better place if they'd never been invented. 

As for tennis - dear God, I can't stick it. 

ill see your televised Tennis.. and raise you.. televised Golf 
BBC Radio - The English We Speak, Mic drop

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ozleicester said:

ill see your televised Tennis.. and raise you.. televised Golf 
BBC Radio - The English We Speak, Mic drop

Don't mind golf - it's got a weird zen quality that sort of appeals to me. 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think golf is hard to appreciate on TV if you’ve never had a go at playing yourself. You realise just how ****ing good the tour pros are when you realise shots they aren’t happy with would be career best shots for any normal bloke/lady. I love watching golf It fascinates me how easy they make it look. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bovril said:

Kelechi's goal wasn't that good. 

Wasn't as good as other goals like it, like Vardy, Van Persie, Bartlett, the ball coming over the top and hitting it first time, but its still a difficult skill and was a good finish. Depending on of there's an ton of stunning goals this month, I expect it to be nominated for the goal of the month.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Manini said:

I think golf is hard to appreciate on TV if you’ve never had a go at playing yourself. You realise just how ****ing good the tour pros are when you realise shots they aren’t happy with would be career best shots for any normal bloke/lady. I love watching golf It fascinates me how easy they make it look. 

Golf for me falls into the 'boring to watch, fun to play' category. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Golf for me falls into the 'boring to watch, fun to play' category. 

Isnt it class to play? Nice hot summers evening, walking around with your mates and a few bottles of beer whilst the light fades. Burning pound notes as you top another brand new 3-piece golf ball in to the lake. Beautiful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...