Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

FA Cup 2017-18

1 minute ago, brucey said:

So... does a few top 6 teams dropping out of the cup help or hinder our chances of getting Europa? I can't decide whether or not to cheer them on.

Doesn’t the League Cup have the bigger bearing for us? Don’t know how it works nowadays to be honest

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Coventry had more fans at MK Dons than the home side did lol 

Shows how tinpot the franchise are.

Winkelmam was saying the other day how worried he is. The club lost something like £3m last year, and it's not getting better. 

3 minutes ago, Harry - LCFC said:

We're the 5th best team left in the FA Cup.

When was the last time that could be said?

bar the title winning season we have got this far, seen a few big teams fall and then even got a favourable next round draw. and still gone on to fu ck that up good and proper. so i’ve given up getting excited until we are in the final tbh. 

12 minutes ago, Harry - LCFC said:

We're the 5th best team left in the FA Cup.

When was the last time that could be said?

In 2001 we were the third best (5th in the Premier League at the time) behind Arsenal and Liverpool.

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

when we reached the quarter final vs Chelsea?

Can't remember who else was still in the tournament back then. 

You mean the Johnson penalty five. 1997?

We got to the 5th round. Quarters were Chesterfield, Wrexham, Portsmouth, Chelsea, Sheff Wed, Wimbledon, Derby and Boro. We'd have been the best team left.

28 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Doesn’t the League Cup have the bigger bearing for us? Don’t know how it works nowadays to be honest

I think it goes like this, you get 4 through the CL, one into EL from the league so 5th place

league cup winners and FA Cup winners get a place as well, giving you 7 teams total.

if anyone in the top five win either trophy, 6th place gets the spot

if anyone in the top six win the fa Cup and league cup then 7th spot gets a place.

If Arsenal were to win the Europa league and finish outside top 4 they are awarded a CL place, in which we then have five into the CL pushing the 6th spot into a Europa position.. we get 7 sides into Europe in total which is the max we can get regardless of amount of entries into CL 

Therefore if any top side win either the league cup which will happen or fa Cup 7th place is awarded the spot.

now if an English side win both the CL and EL, then 4th spot as long as they aren’t the winner of either fall into the Europa league... 

i give up lollol 

anyway 7th usually gets you a spot in Europe 

edit: corrected error, we get 7 teams total in Europe 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

We got to the 5th round. Quarters were Chesterfield, Wrexham, Portsmouth, Chelsea, Sheff Wed, Wimbledon, Derby and Boro. We'd have been the best team left.

Wimbledon and Sheffield Wednesday both finished above us that season.

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

erm, 2012? lol 

7 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

If Arsenal were to win the Europa league and finish outside top 4 they are awarded a CL place, in which we then have five into the CL pushing the 6th spot into a Europa position.. but we then get 8 sides into Europe in total which is the max we can get. 

Therefore if any top side win either the league cup which will happen or fa Cup 7th place is awarded the spot.

I don't think that's right. Last season when Man U finished 6th and won Europa they went into the Champions League and there were only 2 English Europa League spots. I know they've made some adaptions to the criteria for next year but I don't know about 8 spots. I think it's max 7.

Edited by NewEnglandFox
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NewEnglandFox said:

I don't think that's right. Last season when Man U finished 6th and won Europa they went into the Champions League and there were only 2 English Europa League spots. I know they've made some adaptions to the criteria for next year but I don't know about 8 spots. I think it's max 7.

I was unsure about that but yes arsenal got the spot, and so did Everton... I was thinking what would happen if someone outside that top 7 won the fa Cup or league cup? that is what confused me... but realised that means Everton wouldn’t have got the place in Europe so 7 is correct :)

The VAR thing is already starting to be ridiculous i think.

First of all, theres a real integrity issue going on now with referees. What did the referee in the Liverpool v West Brom game see today on a screen to change his mind for the penalty, that he couldnt see in real speed on the field? The system is not going to work if you have one referee who is overturning his OWN decision, whilst youve got referees like Jon Moss and the referee in the Chelsea v Norwich game who wont overturn BLATANTLY wrong penalty decisions. It just makes the inconsistency of decisions even harder to accept.

Willian was blatantly fouled, BLATANTLY, the Norwich defender couldnt believe it afterwards in an interview. Iborra was literally BEARHUGGED and nothing was done. Yet tonight a decision was overturned after the referee HIMSELF changed his mind.

What does that say about his capability as a referee?

Secondly, the West Brom offside goal, its the law thats an ass. Once again, Gareth Barry was what, leaning offside? his head leaning forwards and a foot offside? come on thats ridiculous. Theres no way you can say these are cleat cut decisions, a linesman will not spot them, and a goal should be given. If the clear daylight interpretation was still around, we would have more goals to talk about and less of this marginal decision rubbish. They didnt even use the lines correctly, the line should be drawn from the right side of the players face if his head is offside?

Then on the West Brom 3rd goal that did stand, the player was played onside by a sliding defenders foot. Crazy.

We have laws where the whole ball has to cross the line, and yet an offside law where a player is offside if he is literally LEANING offside? i think its bonkers.

Thirdly, the integrity of the competition has been ruined, as WITHOUT the VAR, West Brom would have won the game even more comfortably, Peterboro would have lost by a smaller margin, ok the results wouldnt change but some results could hinge on these decisions, and other clubs arent getting the benefit of them if the VAR is not there.

Fourthly, it seems the referees confidence was diminished as he was reviewing everything to do with goals in the game. The game was being held up forever, people chanting "VAR VAR" in sarcasm in the West Brom end, it was just silly. Weve had the benefit of the decisions this season from it, but im not enjoying it at all.

Chris Foy may say the decisions were correct today but had West Brom not won, i think they could feel legitimately hard done by and im glad they did win, because i didnt enjoy the refereeing one bit today.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Donut said:

The VAR thing is already starting to be ridiculous i think.

First of all, theres a real integrity issue going on now with referees. What did the referee in the Liverpool v West Brom game see today on a screen to change his mind for the penalty, that he couldnt see in real speed on the field? The system is not going to work if you have one referee who is overturning his OWN decision, whilst youve got referees like Jon Moss and the referee in the Chelsea v Norwich game who wont overturn BLATANTLY wrong penalty decisions. It just makes the inconsistency of decisions even harder to accept.

erm, maybe his view was blocked? Maybe he didn't see all of the incident?