Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

I still think we're going to finish top 8. Am I mad?

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Maybe you're all correct and Leicester are in for a relegation fight and I'm a raving looney but from what I've seen top 8 is possible. We should've but admittedly didn't get anything from teams that look 5th and 6th in the league at season's end. We got nothing from 3 teams that should be top 4.

Delboy, I think 60pts and we're in with an outside chance of Europe. I expect 8th to be in the low 50's.

Sure we have 4 points from 6 games but if you look at my OP then that's what I put for an 8th spot finish. TBH I thought we'd beat Liverpool at home and get something from the Arsenal match but my scenario counted on nothing from those games.

We got 4 points from 2 teams who should finish below us - 3 at home, 1 away. And that is my premise.

In reality the season starts now. I stated 3 points at home against everyone apart from the top 6 and 1 point away against those same teams.

Next up is Bournemouth away - for my scenario that's 1pt - I hope to beat them though - that may well put us in the bottom 3 for the break which is psychologically not a good place to be but the schedule gets easier from hereon in.The goal is 12pts or more by the end of October and a place in the last 8 of the League Cup.  You can stick with your bottom 4 prognosis. I'm sticking with top 8.

Come on you Foxes.

Mate, can honestly say I hope you're right and I'm wrong!

4 minutes ago, DelBoy73 said:

I give you that maybe top 8 would roam around the mid 50's, that's still 50pts to gather from the next 32 fixtures, that is a 1.5 pts per game ratio.

The next run of games will tell us clearly if we are ever going to catch such trend.

If we can't come out with a positive record after facing the likes of Bournemouth, Leeds, Stoke,WBA and Swansea,i am adamant we will find ourselves in the relegation bracket by boxing day.

I'd be astounded if we took three points from the Leeds game.

• Like 1

good enough to stay up - just - especially after the 'quality' signings are fit and settle in

top  8 - no chance - totally unsettled team - mahrez slimani - not really doing it

big hole where the midfield and midfield creativity should be

stay up -just - because vardy will give us the necessary goals against the average teams - top half - very unlikely

26 minutes ago, FIF said:

Why?

What indicates that would be the case?

Just stating a fact, a club of our size, that has faced a battle against relegation 2 out of the 3 seasons, ok a freak title win in between, but we have returned to our level, and not really improved the starting 11 as of yet.

Let's get the points to stay up, and then see how high we can go, but my first concern after the shocker of last season, the great escape the first season, and the slow start this year, ok played big teams, but so will everyone, is staying up.

I'm all for being positive, but we are not as good as some believe, and I think we are going to battle around the bottom end again, as things stand at present.

We're a better side than our position at present but due to the bad start we've made I reckon the top 8 is out of reach.

We needed a win and a draw against 1 of the non promoted sides we've played at the very least.

2 years ago the vital run in was the Man Utd to man city home games from November to December and I said beforehand we needed aout 11 points to cement our champions league credentials irrespective of a title challenge. We got there.

I wasn't expecting us to be top 6 right now but I'd just believe whilst some signs of encouragement we've fallen short of our short term goals.

Not sure if it gets any easier. Next week is Howe V Shakespeare. The stakes are huge for both.

Edited by Blue ROI

No need to panic. We basically only played to anything like our full potential for a quarter of last season and still managed to finish comfortably mid table - indeed a wrongly disallowed goal from finishing 8th. The thing is, with the increasing dominance of the Big 6, the team finishing 8th will probably have a negative goal difference and lose quite a few more than they win. So we are going to have to get used to losing pretty frequently, even if we finish "best of the rest".

All that said, even the next few, supposedly "easier" fixtures are matches that we rarely do well in e.g. we've failed to beat Bournemouth in the Prem in 4 games, not beaten West Brom at home since mid 90s and, the title winning year aside, Swansea is usually an unhappy hunting ground. Unless we buck those trends, we could be firmly in the bottom 3 by the Everton game, which will really ramp up the pressure on the team.  

So whilst we need to stay calm, these are worrying times to a degree.

Decided to run a quick table using my points system for the 14 (not top 6) clubs:

After Brighton beating Newcastle just now

Watford +5

Stoke +2

Everton +1

Leicester 0

Burnley 0

Newcastle 0

Southampton -1

Brighton -2

West Ham -2

Swansea -3

Huddersfield -3

WBA -3

Bournemouth -5

Palace -10

FYI top of table: (only an away win against another top 6 team actually earns + pts)

Man C -2

Man U -2

Chelsea -3

Arse -4

Spurs -7

Pool -7

5 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

with the increasing dominance of the Big 6, the team finishing 8th will probably have a negative goal difference and lose quite a few more than they win. So we are going to have to get used to losing pretty frequently, even if we finish "best of the rest".

Agree this is not time to panic.  But I can't follow your math?  The team finishing 8th will have played 14 matches against better teams and 24 against worse teams.

As dominant as the Manchester sides have looked, and Chelsea or Tottenham could be, Arse and Pool are neither complete nor well managed, and I doubt either will look brilliant on W-L-D or goal diff. come May.  So I don't see solid mid-table clubs each facing a dozen can't-win fixtures.

2 hours ago, KingsX said:

Agree this is not time to panic.  But I can't follow your math?  The team finishing 8th will have played 14 matches against better teams and 24 against worse teams.

As dominant as the Manchester sides have looked, and Chelsea or Tottenham could be, Arse and Pool are neither complete nor well managed, and I doubt either will look brilliant on W-L-D or goal diff. come May.  So I don't see solid mid-table clubs each facing a dozen can't-win fixtures.

My point was that if you lose the majority of those 14 games, say 10, the chances are you'll lose more than you win overall. For example, even if you lose only a quarter of the remaining games that leaves you with 16 defeats. Look at lost season's table, Southampton were 8th having won 12 and lost 16 with a -7 goal difference. 

8 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

My point was that if you lose the majority of those 14 games, say 10, the chances are you'll lose more than you win overall. For example, even if you lose only a quarter of the remaining games that leaves you with 16 defeats. Look at lost season's table, Southampton were 8th having won 12 and lost 16 with a -7 goal difference. 

I thought Southampton were quite an outlier last year, on 8th with just 46 points.  Point taken that a negative W-L record is feasible there.

There's going to be a turnaround. All the problems are in midfield, but they are temporary. You can see Shakey's plan: He recruited two technicians, Silva and Iborra, to build a possession game in the center of the pitch. Give these guys a chance to get up to speed before calling for Shakey's head. The back line and attack are in good shape.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pete from the USA said:

There's going to be a turnaround. All the problems are in midfield, but they are temporary. You can see Shakey's plan: He recruited two technicians, Silva and Iborra, to build a possession game in the center of the pitch. Give these guys a chance to get up to speed before calling for Shakey's head. The back line and attack are in good shape.

If that's his master plan then he's even more stupid than I though.

The possession game won't work for us and is limited in any case unless you've got the best players.

Clubs of our size trying to adopt a possession based game is pointless. Trying to pass through teams is the most difficult thing you can do.