Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

I still think we're going to finish top 8. Am I mad?

On 01/10/2017 at 12:33, Col city fan said:

No offence FIF but this thread has always seemed a bit like an 'attention seeking' thread. For want of a better term.

Or do you really believe what you are saying?

If so, with how we are playing, what is your theory for us finishing top 8?

Is it all based on signing Silva?

Not at all Col - otherwise I'd have called it FIF's something or other.

I feel we are good enough and still on course for 8th place.

I've explained my theory several times and as yet we're exactly on course for 53 pts but the matches coming up will show whether we can maintain it or not. On this very early form I have us sitting 11th 2 points out of 8th but that's because other teams are doing a little better than expected with Watford sitting 7th (the only team significantly better). That's not to say I'm happy with the team's performance. They were poor against Bournemouth yet still got the expected result. they were poor first half against Liverpool but they have also shown some great play early in the season. Liverpool have been dross in many games this season but they're sitting 7th, which I think shows how easy 8th position can be.

I'm generally an optimistic person and started the thread as a counter to the doom and gloom which is pervading the forum.

I never wanted Shakey to take over and certainly didn't think he merited keeping the job in the summer but I don't want him fired until we get the right person lined up. No more messing around please, we may as well stick with who we have until we get the right candidate. He's good enough for us to make mid-table or as high as 8th, however I'd love a balanced more attack minded manager if a good one wants to take us on.

West Brom are not playing great and we are at home so I fully expect a win and 3pts. I'll be disappointed if not.

just replace "playoffs" with "top 8" and you will get pretty much our season so far 

"what's that?........a, top 8 ? don't talk about.....top 8? you kiding me! TOP 8! i just hope we can we can win a game"

Edited by the fox
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

So after 7 points from 2 home games and an away game (exactly in line with the opening suggestion) we're 4 points out of 6th.

Do you still think I'm crazy?

top 8 here we come.

I agree with what pulis said a couple of weeks ago - take away the top 4/6 and the rest can beat anybody on there day. I'm not sure about top 8 it worries me if vardy or ndidi/Iborra get injured were struggling. Imo I'd be happy with 10th as long as we improve on last season. I know it sounds negative but the sonner we get to 40 points the better. 

58 minutes ago, FIF said:

So after 7 points from 2 home games and an away game (exactly in line with the opening suggestion) we're 4 points out of 6th.

Do you still think I'm crazy?

top 8 here we come.

What are you advocating now? That your prediction was based upon us sacking Shakespeare?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

What are you advocating now? That your prediction was based upon us sacking Shakespeare?

Yeh I have to say, this thread is all a bit irrelevant now Shakespeare has gone.

We couldn't have possibly finished 8th without a change, which I think I stated a few pages ago.

Besides, it's a bit early to be getting carried away. At least bring this up if we actually finish 8th, not just because we've had 2 wins on the bounce. And even then, as I say, I'm not really sure you can claim you told us so due to the manager change.

• Like 1

Believe I already responded, but that was with Shakey at the helm. With Puel, I still agree we can do this, but I see some things we need to do first.

(1) We need to play some of the younger/newer players every single game. Generally speaking, all teams need some churn to stay at their best, especially sides like Leicester that are coming off a big success. Complacency is inevitable, but the degree to which it sets in is controllable. We can mitigate its effect by including players who bring energy and enthusiasm and young legs.  We cannot start sides with 8 players from 2015 anymore, their energy is simply awful when they all play together of late. If Puel gets that mix of players right, we can still start 4-5 of the veterans.

(2) We need Puel & Co. to help Ndidi enjoy football again, and to reach Iheanacho and make him a real selection alternative to Vardy. Ndidi looks miserable AF, and I am not surprised, as he has the most thankless, exhausting role on the team. He has stopped improving, and we need Puel to get him back to adding facets to his game, and we need to reward him for his incredible work by getting him involved in the attack more regularly. Iheanacho is not yet the player we thought we were getting, we need to figure out how to make better use of him, and if we are to be playing one forward line-ups, we need to see him in the MF a bit. He is too talented (and expensive) to ride the bench.

(3) We need to strive to create competition at all positions. Puel's first line-up already put senior team members on notice, and that is terrific, but we need more of that. We want as much of a meritocracy as possible, a team where Dragovic can start over Morgan if Morgan is not on his toes every single game. Which he has been to be fair, tho that is kinda my point -- having Dragovic ready to take his position at a moment's notice has likely helped him stay motivated and playing some of the best football of his life. We have the resources to create competition everywhere, especially now that we have a real teacher as manager. Players are no doubt happiest when they are safe as starters, but they are best when they are looking over their shoulder. Let's put some uncertainty in their hearts, dammit.

(4) Mahrez has to go unless he permanently rescinds his trade demand. That is the one flat note I think Puel has played, he should not be focusing his time on players who are not committed to this team. The Mahrez drama was botched from day 1, he should never have been kept on the squad, it sends a backwards-looking message while it deprives players like Gray of playing time, growth, and improvement, plus he's been a real mope at times, just very low energy, inconsistent, poor decision-making, we don't want a guy who doesn't want to be around influencing younger players. 

Yes, Mahrez can simultaneously be our most talented player, while being the player who hurts us the most on the field. We have all seen him have those games. He needs to be all-in or simply out.

We do these things, we can make a move for top-8, not a doubt in my mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8th..bloody 8th !!!  What are going on about.!!!, are you mad..?

I am a true fan...Its my duty to support the dream of dreams,

without question....

Man.city will fall off

Chelsea, will have a hard season

Manutd, at present havent got the quality to keep them in top 2

Liverpool , looking for consistency

Spurs, have to find the lost bottle they keep mis-placing.

Arsenal, spinning the bottle in derence.

Top 5 is ours for the taking, Burnley 6th.

8th..damn cheek!!!

• Like 2

On 1 October 2017 at 17:33, Buce said:

There is optimism, and there is delusion. 

It seems like you’re just defending your position based on blind faith. 

He he makes  me laugh we live life on blind faith. Religion anyone you choose politics the same. Every single thing we do is with blind faith . Getting up in the morning is nice if your positive it's going to be a good day. Can be tough if your struggling so smell the roses feel the rain and love your team top six for me the only way is up baby. You and me.

I'm a delusional optimist . 

I have blind faith faith that he end is coming . The end of politics religion the world , our planet the universe our life it will all happen we just don't know when . So smile live your life love Leicester but most of all love life . all the miserable buggers on here make me smile I'm a happy clapper . And I defend FIF from col. Kich . Buce. Don't let them grind you down . They post some interesting stuff but can be negative delusional sorry if I'm subliminally stereotyping or confusticating . ? Magic mushroom soup.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Col city fan said:

You have a problem accepting when you are wrong or someone else is right don't you?

My prediction was based on how good our team/squad is and how poor the rest of the prem is. It doesn't matter who is in charge, just like it doesn't matter whether we play Mahrez or Gray.

8th is for the taking and we can do it.

32 minutes ago, FIF said:

You have a problem accepting when you are wrong or someone else is right don't you?

My prediction was based on how good our team/squad is and how poor the rest of the prem is. It doesn't matter who is in charge, just like it doesn't matter whether we play Mahrez or Gray.

8th is for the taking and we can do it.

Not at all. The thread has become redundant. We've changed manager. I'm afraid it looked like we'd be miles off 8th if we hadn't made the change.

Unless, as I say, you were actually factoring in that we'd change manager.

Finally, how can anyone who thought we wouldn't end 8th or above, be 'wrong' and you 'right'? It's not the end of the season yet?

Edited by Col city fan

We're currently 4 points behind Liverpool.

If we stick with a more attacking line up and keep faith with the likes of gray who can cause chaos and also free up mahrez, we have silva coming in January and more money to spend. Tbh if we fail to make top 8 the manager should be on thin ice. We're in a hugely better position than all but about 4 teams squad and direction wise. Don't understand all the doom and gloom.