Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
willie-bell-in-rothley

Is Slimani of premier league quality

I had high hopes for Slimani when he banged in those two goals against Burnley at home on his debut early on into last season, exactly a year ago this weekend in fact but to say he has flattered to deceive ever since then is a huge understatement! He has since proved to be very overpriced at £29million and I can't see him 'bedding in' more this season either from what we've seen so far. I know it took Vardy a season to do so when he appeared to be overpriced at £1million for a non league player at the time but I can't see Slimani suddenly start to bang them in like Jamie did in our Championship title winning season 2013-14, after a non starter of a first season.

• Like 1

The man clearly has quality and has shown glimpses of this. As is the same with Gray he just needs a run of starts to get fitness, confidence and basic match awareness back in his game. To write him off in the current circumstances of no service, an underperforming, disrupted line up and lack of game time is sensationalist bollocks and short sighted at best. 

I'd like to think we're better than that after all we have witnessed as Leicester fans in the last 5 years.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Guy said:

I had high hopes for Slimani when he banged in those two goals against Burnley at home on his debut early on into last season, exactly a year ago this weekend in fact but to say he has flattered to deceive ever since then is a huge understatement! He has since proved to be very overpriced at £29million and I can't see him 'bedding in' more this season either from what we've seen so far. I know it took Vardy a season to do so when he appeared to be overpriced at £1million for a non league player at the time but I can't see Slimani suddenly start to bang them in like Jamie did in our Championship title winning season 2013-14, after a non starter of a first season.

To be honest when I first saw the guy he reminded me a lot of Ade Akinbiyi in the way his large frame slowly plodded on the pitch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say yes I think he is. I think he'd score for fun in a really good side.

We aren't a really good side.

Sure, but what would that side look like? Vardy wouldn't score for fun in 70 percent of PL sides because they are not set up to his strengths (think England) Its kinda imaginable he'd do well for some ball playing sides (Slimani) but I'd argue that they wouldn't choose her m over other talent and that he's set up for a different type of football and that's maybe not the PL -outside of some stereotypes like West Ham.

11 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Sure, but what would that side look like? Vardy wouldn't score for fun in 70 percent of PL sides because they are not set up to his strengths (think England) Its kinda imaginable he'd do well for some ball playing sides (Slimani) but I'd argue that they wouldn't choose her m over other talent and that he's set up for a different type of football and that's maybe not the PL -outside of some stereotypes like West Ham.

To be fair, I'd rather discuss football matters with someone who wasn't so far down on Superbru.

I wouldn't feel I'd be kinda wasting my time.

:P

Edited by Col city fan

I really don't understand the amount of grief he gets. Yes he's not been as good as we hoped for, however has he really been given a chance? Title winning year, it was hard to shift oki and vards. This year he's been give 10-20 mins. Not a lot can prove themselves in that time. Let's face it this season which of our players has really been any good? I can only say, Schmeichel, Maguire and possibly Ndidi. The rest have been way below average. Why is no one else getting as much stick as Slimani? I guess we always need a scapegoat. He's the new Wellens.... 

9 hours ago, matty98 said:

He has exactly the same problem Chris Wood had for us, because he's tall we just hoof the ball up to him despite the fact that's not his game. To get the best out of him you need to get the ball out wide and put crosses in.

To the contrary of a tenacious myth spreaded by  FT people who surely pay his wages with their own money, he actually can hold the ball and link up. Even if his first touch is poor, he's not only good with his head but makes very intelligent runs as well, even if the finish (with his his feet) doesn't automatically follows. He's never had a steady run in this team, because of the way we play (set around Vardy) and rely on Shinji to compensate for the 2 men midfield. 

This is naturally dismissed by the eminent experts we have here and the amount of abuse he gets, is quite the sight I must say.

I think we'll see more of him when Silva will play (they know each other well and we'll have more possession I presume), but also agree with people who say he could be a misfit due to the fact that we're not a ball possession team and not set in a 4-5-1 with him as a target man. His association with Vardy wasn't successful until now and I doubt it will ever be. The same thing could happen to Nacho, I'm afraid.

Edited by ZeGuy

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

If we put quality balls into the box then slim would thrive on that. Maybe he is not so good with  his feet but you put a ball into the box then he would get goals with his head. Just my opinion.