Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Lukaku song - racist or banter?

Just my two cents - 1) it's racist, 2) it's a ****ing shit chant, and 3) it's really, really weird to be singing about a bloke's nob anyway.

In terms of why it's racist, it's a stereotype that goes back to the days of slavery, where black men were depicted as little more than animals, who - if left to their own devices - would run around, raping white women, driven by animal instinct. This propaganda around black sexuality was a key method in dehumanising black men and justifying their treatment at the hands of white slave owners - black men were literally lynched for even daring to flirt with white women. Just watch the KKK's favourite film, 'Birth Of A Nation' - it's all in there. So they might think 'We're saying he's got a huge nob, it's a compliment' - actually, they're just harking back to a time where black men were reduced to nothing more than sexually driven animals.

On 19/09/2017 at 12:22, Captain... said:

Surely to say the are clearly singing about it because he is black is reinforcing the racial stereotype. To make the association of that chant, which makes no mention to his skin colour, and race is perpetuating the stereotype more than the chant is.

So if it was a song about a Jewish player and had lines about big noses and being tight, but didn't make any reference to his race/religion/ethnicity, that wouldn't be racist and it would be the fault of anyone inferring it was racist for perpetuating those stereotypes?

1 hour ago, indierich06 said:

So if it was a song about a Jewish player and had lines about big noses and being tight, but didn't make any reference to his race/religion/ethnicity, that wouldn't be racist and it would be the fault of anyone inferring it was racist for perpetuating those stereotypes?

If he has a big nose is it racist? 

When I heard the song I just thought he has a reputation among United fans for being well endowed (like Lloyd Dyer did here). I didn't make the connection with race. Until all of this kicked off. I think to make it about race perpetuates the stereotype more than a daft chant.

I do agree that singing about a players penis is weird.

Archived