Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Post-Match Thread - Leicester 2-0 Liverpool (EFL Cup)

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I could see what he was doing, he was obviously told to watch their wide player in the front three and not to let him get inbetween him and Wes... problem was to stop that he went and stood right next to Wes. I think he's got a bit of talent, he's better on the ball than people give him credit for. But I think last night just highlighted that his brain power might not be up to the job sometimes. He wasn't helped with MA not watching the full back after Amartey tucked in to cover the other striker.

Yes, that's how I sort of saw it as well Babylon,  at times it looked like a back 5 with MA more of a right back. He appeared reduced to the odd longer ball rather than any sort of wing play for the most part of the 1st half. Would an extra midfielder have helped to try and nullify the problem before it got to our back line? I  thought Iborra did ok for a debut with Ndidi and got better as the game went on but, I still don't think Iborra and 1 other is going to be good enough. It just seems that it's backs against the wall all the time hoping against hope the opposition don't score before we might just nick one on the break by chance if the ball falls kindly. The second half was much improved with Coutinho and Ulloa removed and Okazaki on who offered a bit of pace and movement off the wall.

I don't know what the answer is but suspect Saturday will be more 442 and backs against the wall!

1 minute ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yes, that's how I sort of saw it as well Babylon,  at times it looked like a back 5 with MA more of a right back. He appeared reduced to the odd longer ball rather than any sort of wing play for the most part of the 1st half. Would an extra midfielder have helped to try and nullify the problem before it got to our back line? I  thought Iborra did ok for a debut with Ndidi and got better as the game went on but, I still don't think Iborra and 1 other is going to be good enough. It just seems that it's backs against the wall all the time hoping against hope the opposition don't score before we might just nick one on the break by chance if the ball falls kindly. The second half was much improved with Coutinho and Ulloa removed and Okazaki on who offered a bit of pace and movement off the wall.

I don't know what the answer is but suspect Saturday will be more 442 and backs against the wall!

its pointless having two up top in a 4-4-2 if you cant get the ball wide high up the pitch. shinji offers a link between the lines and muddies the water in their defensive midfield area. no idea if kelechi will be able to play that role. its a bit of a joke that we managed so well the season before because NG was two players - but its pretty well the case ! given how the game is played now, I don't really see a way out of it for us unless we are prepared to switch in and out of a back three during the game.

Chilwell have had some brain dead moments a few times when he's played. Amartey gets skinned less often than Chilwell and Amartey isn't even a RB, yet he gets slandered more on here.

Like most modern full-backs, Chilwell is good going foward but lacks the brain cells to defend. 

1 minute ago, Koke said:

Chilwell have had some brain dead moments a few times when he's played. Amartey gets skinned less often than Chilwell and Amartey isn't even a RB, yet he gets slandered more on here.

Like most modern full-backs, Chilwell is good going foward but lacks the brain cells to defend. 

loves to get too close and grapple/grab defenders. Could prove costly in the wrong areas and especially so against teams that use set-pieces as their best way to score. 

2 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

Amartey played alright actually. Not his fault he was left exposed by Albrighton (who was presumably instructed to tuck in to narrow the pitch..)

Okazaki, Wes and Drago all very  good. Hamer surprisingly solid.

I thought it was quite an odd situation really as Armarty played more as a third centre back rather than a right back. This was probably the plan but he seemed reluctant to leave the penalty area. I wouldn't necessarily blame Albrighton though, it's one thing to be expected to cover your right back at times but quite another to be expected to play two roles ie winger and right back. I thought Albrighton played one or two accurate long balls in the first half but although they reached their target at the front they were isolated as all the midfield were in defence playing 'get rid of the ball quickly', it's as if no one wanted it.

Only saw the 1st half and went to bed early. Expected to wake up to a Leicester loss, as I was immensely frustrated by the 1st half display, which reminded of the Ranieri tenure last season. What a surprise to wake up to and a kind reminder never to write this team off. Glad we managed to turn it around with our own little samurai getting the plaudits, but I am still heavily concerned about that disjointed and qualityless 1st half.

Just now, Chico1958 said:

That guy they got from Hull is wasted at Liverpool

£ 7 Million and sat in reserves .......... what a waste

Robertson? He's played a few games already this season and only missed a couple because he and his missus had a baby.

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Robertson? He's played a few games already this season and only missed a couple because he and his missus had a baby.

Sorry must have missed that........... Pity we missed him though.

I thought he was the best player on the pitch first half

There again we don't need another left sided player who can put in crosses like that do we   :whistle:

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Why? are you serious man? We got very lucky and to think otherwise is moronic. If you think that Ulloa and Slimani as a partnership is acceptable, especially after that opening 45 minutes and he thought fit to carry on with it then you need to give your head a wobble. Fair play for us turning it around as it's a collective effort but there was such a mentality shift once Coutinho went off and Ulloa thankfully departed, but the question still has to be asked at what point would Shakespeare have made the change anyway?

Moaning minnie...how many times have we seen 'the other team...the oppo'  have the luck..relax and enjoy the draw and next round

With wondererous anticipation....too many on here will be getting ulcers, before the season has really kicked off...Save the negatives

at least until November....then I might jump in and join you...:scarf:

18 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I thought it was quite an odd situation really as Armarty played more as a third centre back rather than a right back. This was probably the plan but he seemed reluctant to leave the penalty area. I wouldn't necessarily blame Albrighton though, it's one thing to be expected to cover your right back at times but quite another to be expected to play two roles ie winger and right back. I thought Albrighton played one or two accurate long balls in the first half but although they reached their target at the front they were isolated as all the midfield were in defence playing 'get rid of the ball quickly', it's as if no one wanted it.

Yeah I don't blame Albrighton at all for this. He was obviously playing in front of a guy who in the first half definitely wasn't comfortable in whatever role he was supposed to be playing.

Albrighton actually pays for his willingness to work so hard as when he does it win it, like you say, what options does he have other than play it in the channels? I think Iborra showed glimpses that he at least wanted the ball in tight areas which is a positive and will help the likes of Albrighton immensely.

6 hours ago, Babylon said:

Said at the time, only thing it can possibly be is the manager just trying to be seen to be looking out for the players and wanting to keep popular players around the club. We did the same for Wasyl when we knew he offered little but being a positive influence around the club. All in the name of spirit I would think, because he's not going to get a sniff in the league.

Wasyl would give us that cover..and even Played well in his Last appearances.We got the best last drops of sweat, tearscand laughter

From Wasi.  Funny thing when we needed x Ulloa in our title season he was there and a prescence....Now sorry to say, unless we

Find a set up , or just get enough ball for Albrighton to cross....His selection In yesterdays chaos is a loss of a rescource...

With our choice of forwards, and no major injuries, I cant see him making the bench for any League game.I'd rather bring on

a defender or midfielder....

Just watched the game after work commitments.  How anyone thinks we weren't incredibly lucky to win that is beyond me.  Yes their finishing was off but we were still giving away too many chances way too easily.  

Shinji transformed our style and actually finally brought some positive energy, and more importantly, some link up play to the side.  His first contributions resulted in us performing some pass and move, something that I thought I'd never see again in a Leicester shirt (yeah, I'm exaggerating for effect).

Gray was very positive, but please pass it more mate, you could go from potential to really good by adding that to your game.  I think he's nearing a start though, adds something different, and I think Marc needs a little break as he's regressed to his round the corner, first time hoof.

Iborra was a mixed bag, reminded me a lot of the Mendy performance at Millwall last season, lots of errant passes after getting in the right place.  His intelligent positioning and the assist for Shinji gave me some hope.  

Dragovic was solid, if unspectacular.  Can see him improving if he gets more game time. 

Not sure if there is another thread about this but I swear we are possibly the worst passers of the ball in the league at the moment.  We really seem to be incapable of stringing more than two passes together which worries me a lot as it invites so much pressure.  Yes, we played low possession when WON DA LEAGUE, but we also had periods of great football too and actually did something with the ball when we got it.  Something needs to change on this, and an extra man in midfield is what's needed, especially with personnel we have available.  

I'm very happy we won, result was great, goals were good, overall performance just worries me.  Play like that (either half, second half we were still pretty sloppy, Liverpool were just even more toothless) on Saturday against their first team (with our first team, styles are same even if players are not) and we might face a mauling.  Let's hope the coaching staff can learn from this.  Onwards and (hopefully) upwards. 

16 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

Yeah I don't blame Albrighton at all for this. He was obviously playing in front of a guy who in the first half definitely wasn't comfortable in whatever role he was supposed to be playing.

Albrighton actually pays for his willingness to work so hard as when he does it win it, like you say, what options does he have other than play it in the channels? I think Iborra showed glimpses that he at least wanted the ball in tight areas which is a positive and will help the likes of Albrighton immensely.

I agree, in the second half I saw a huge glimmer of hope with Iborra. On a couple of occasions he passed the ball to Morgan and then another player and asked for it straight back. It wasn't in a condescending way but more a calm down confidence giving way. He certainly isn't shy with the opposition either haha. Understandably through lack of game time and a new league etc he has got to adapt but I thought it was a very positive debut. He has the makings of becoming a bit of a cult hero I think. I do however see him in a midfield three being that calming yet agressive reliable influence. 

Hi guys. Let's not blame Ulloa. There was literally no reason to play 2 target men up front. It was just tactically very bad of Shakespeare to put them both up front together. Of course the Okazaki substitution would have improved the team. It's a question for Shakespeare instead with his line-up choice. Ulloa still has lower minutes per goal scored than Slimani.

4 hours ago, sdkessler said:

Hi guys. Let's not blame Ulloa. There was literally no reason to play 2 target men up front. It was just tactically very bad of Shakespeare to put them both up front together. Of course the Okazaki substitution would have improved the team. It's a question for Shakespeare instead with his line-up choice. Ulloa still has lower minutes per goal scored than Slimani.

He did nothing. Again. Could you see Ulloa scoring the goal Slimani did? Of course you couldn't. 

Silly to bring up an irrelevant stat when it's been painfully obvious for over a season that he's not up to standard any longer.

Archived