Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

The Iborra Thread

So he's finally made his belated, groin hindered debut....

He's not currently got a thread so....

He looked a bit wayward especially in the first half - clearly has quality and skill with the ball and defending/tackling but a bit sloppy here and there first time out tonight.

He seems to need to adapt to the pace of the game here and now and again I noticed him offload the ball and just watch - rather than seek space.

I also noticed his command and communication - especially with Dragovic which I thought was quality. I'd very much like to see him get a bit more game time and cement a starting place - yes even in a midfield 4! Ideally he looks suited to have a role camped just in front of the back four though.

His assist for the Okazaki goal was sweet and demonstrated a good footballing brain too in all fairness.

Lots of players from foreign leagues have had terrible starts. I remember fergie hauling off jaap Stam at half time on his debut and what a player he turned out to be. Jari litmanen had a poor debut there's so many to mention. 

Iborras debut ... an assist by using great awareness, shows a lot of promise I think he's a terrific signing somebody we have needed for a long time ... the key word is nous 

Yeah, bit rusty, few wayward passes but promising.  I liked the way he gave orders too.  He always seemed to stand in space (even though he didn't run about) and you could see him gesturing at the centrebacks to calm down and not hoof it.  He might not play 30+ games a season but I think he looks a good signing.  Big fecker too.  And, most importantly, absolutely beautiful. X

For a first start he showed a lot of promise. He grew into the game and showed his quality 2nd half.

The assist for Shinji's goal was intelligent and an example of his quality.

Lets hope he can provide the resilience and creativity in midfield that has been lacking.

Some fair assessments in here, but my thoughts are as follows:

- loved him barking orders and directing players, we desperately need leadership in the middle of the park

- Slow start with some wayward passes, but the wingers and strikers were miles away from him so was a tricky start

- Had a really good twenty minute spell and brought out the best in Ndidi

- Terrific assist for the goal

Overall I think he showed a lot of promise, not a perfect performance but against a decent midfield in a 2 which he's not used to playing with, I  thought he looked promising.

I thought he seemed quite composed on the ball & didn't treat it like a live grenade.  I know we like to play on the break, but we don't need to all the time.  We are so one-dimensional it's painful.  Kick & rush seems to be the only way we can play.  I've seen dogshit teams in League 1 keep the ball better than us.  Possession doesn't win you anything, as we have proved, but it would be nice not to spend the vast majority of a game under the cosh.  I think him & Silva playing a few triangles will help us out no end - to take a bit of the pressure off & to launch an attack from midfield - rather than a panicked lump forward from Morgan/Simpson.

It's early days, it was his first proper game, but there were signs he'll help improve us.

I thought he was terrible! After one great first time pass, he gave the ball away time and again, mis placed challenges and looked second to everything. He put in a reckless challenge around the 80 minute mark which luckily completely missed so avoided going into the referees book.

His knockdown for the Okazaki goal was good, but it was about the only thing he did well in the match. I felt that if anything Ndidi carried him throughout, rather than being a calming influence. He had a stinker and i think he knew it. 

I won't write him off, but he looked like he struggled with the physical intensity of the game big time. It's one of the reasons we beat Sevilla at the KP last season in fact. I think he will eventually adjust, but only get up to speed by playing in high tempo games. If / when Silva comes in I expect the same from him too to begin with.

15 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

I thought he seemed quite composed on the ball & didn't treat it like a live grenade.  I know we like to play on the break, but we don't need to all the time.  We are so one-dimensional it's painful.  Kick & rush seems to be the only way we can play.  I've seen dogshit teams in League 1 keep the ball better than us.  Possession doesn't win you anything, as we have proved, but it would be nice not to spend the vast majority of a game under the cosh.  I think him & Silva playing a few triangles will help us out no end - to take a bit of the pressure off & to launch an attack from midfield - rather than a panicked lump forward from Morgan/Simpson.

It's early days, it was his first proper game, but there were signs he'll help improve us.

Yes, this is 100% true. Maybe the fans will take some time to get used to his more considered style of play, but for the love of god we need somebody like that to give us some quality on the ball.

A team of Albrightons would be loved and adored by the fans and also not be able to string 2 passes together.

15 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I thought he was terrible! After one great first time pass, he gave the ball away time and again, mis placed challenges and looked second to everything. He put in a reckless challenge around the 80 minute mark which luckily completely missed so avoided going into the referees book.

His knockdown for the Okazaki goal was good, but it was about the only thing he did well in the match. I felt that if anything Ndidi carried him throughout, rather than being a calming influence. He had a stinker and i think he knew it. 

I won't write him off, but he looked like he struggled with the physical intensity of the game big time. It's one of the reasons we beat Sevilla at the KP last season in fact. I think he will eventually adjust, but only get up to speed by playing in high tempo games. If / when Silva comes in I expect the same from him too to begin with.

I saw a bit of that too but I subjected myself to watching the entire game again this morning and significantly changed my mind.

I think he'll turn out to be a good asset, showed good awareness and leadership qualities, I hope to see him play at least a half game on Saturday in place of King. I couldn't give a flying fcuk about his looks though as long as he plays well.

Had glimpses of the player he potentially could be for us, get the rust away, get used to the pace of the English game, and think we have a good player.

With the rest of the first team around him,  our better players, I'd get him straight in ahead of king and James, the only way to get fit and adjust is to play, and can't be any worse.

I would pick an unfit Iborra over King for Saturday. It was an odd debut, 80% of what he did was top class, the other 20% was wretched. I've seen far worse debuts though, and the fact he already speaks good English will clearly help the team.

Definitely hit and miss, but the bits he did well were encouraging. Composed at times and thought he was great once we were ahead. I don't think we'd have lost at Arsenal had he been able to come on for the last 10 minutes. Organised defence at times and always offered for the ball. Yes he lost it a couple of time but not afraid to receive the ball under pressure, which we lack massively.

Archived