Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Mark Sampson sacked by the FA

1 minute ago, Sir Shep said:

Had to find some way of sacking him with the wolves at the door. I don't know what's gone on but there's always two sides to a story yet as usual the "white male" is in the wrong. 

Yeah. They're trying to cover their backs about whatever he's done.

That said, I'm not a fan of that Eni Aluko at all, comes over as bitter and vengeful with a vendetta because she couldn't get into the team

That Sampson was investigated by the FA as long ago as 2014, yet allowed to continue as national coach, is surprising. While Greg Clarke, the FA chairman, and the chief executive, Martin Glenn, are at pains to emphasise Sampson had done nothing illegal, and an independent panel ruled he was not a “safeguarding threat”, the lack of curiosity among senior FA officials as to the detail of allegations is remarkable. Surely a male coach of a women’s team being required to undergo “training and mentoring” as to how he should behave around female players should have rung clanging alarm bells. 

That hug appeared a response to the pressure Sampson had been under after another unedifying affair: allegations of racist and bullying behaviour, initially made by Eniola Aluko, the 102-cap Chelsea striker. The FA noted again on Wednesday that as far as they are concerned that issue has been dealt with by two investigations, the second external and ongoing, which have so far cleared Sampson. Nevertheless, pressure has grown for a third inquiry with the FA summoned before a House of Commons select committee next month to explain their handling of the case. After today’s events that will now be an even more uncomfortable day for Clarke and Glenn.

Could've probably been handled better and more professionally, if you ask me. Too much dirty laundry involved now.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/mark-sampson-sacked-england-manager-baffling-case-of-selective-a7958181.html

1 hour ago, Sir Shep said:

Had to find some way of sacking him with the wolves at the door. I don't know what's gone on but there's always two sides to a story yet as usual the "white male" is in the wrong. 

:huh:

Sounds like he overstepped some boundaries, I think we all could think of what those boundaries were.

27 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

:huh:

Sounds like he overstepped some boundaries, I think we all could think of what those boundaries were.

Yeah I don't think any of the statements that have come out need a Sherlock-level brain to decipher exactly what he might have got upto at Bristol Academy.

Very telling though in these situations, you can learn a lot about people from their comments, sweeping statements and judgments from something like this.

Not that we know the full story or anything but can you be fired for something you did in previous employment? Seems like a very strong basis for unfair dismissal. If I was fired cause I used to piss about in my old job I wouldn't go down without a fight

5 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

All this bad PR isn't helpful for the women's football in terms of appeal and interest..

Sounds like its been a right old mess with people told to keep quiet and things covered up.

Now it seems its all do with allegations of events in his previous job.

If anyone can do a good job of cleaning up this mess it's the women. :whistle: 

Walls were closing in on him amid more allegations, looks like the FA bottled it and found an excuse to get rid as surely these allegations from the previous club would have come to light in the interview process. If not I question the process.

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

All this bad PR isn't helpful for the women's football in terms of appeal and interest..

Sounds like its been a right old mess with people told to keep quiet and things covered up.

Now it seems its all do with allegations of events in his previous job.

all publicity is good publicity bro. women’s football has been the main ticker news on sky sports news all day. 

It's a PC world, unless you are a member of a minority being accused, you are guilty unless you can prove your innocence. 

They've paid up his contract to shut him up, if he is guilty of such heinous crimes, why pay him off. 

Something doesn't add up. 

They seem to be using what he did at Bristol Academy as the excuse to fire him when many people will think the real reason is the storm surrounding Eli Aluko. whatever the reason he is the manager and must conduct himself appropriately particularly around  the women that he is coaching.

16 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Yeah. They're trying to cover their backs about whatever he's done.

That said, I'm not a fan of that Eni Aluko at all, comes over as bitter and vengeful with a vendetta because she couldn't get into the team

Didn't he crack an Ebola joke about her Nigerian family and ask another black player how many times she'd been arrested? 

Then it turns out he's being looked at got inappropriate behaviour at Bristol academy? 

If it was the men's team he'd have gone straight away a la Hoddle. 

Purely hypothetically, and speaking in generalities...

If a manager is "off the clock" and not on company premises and this manager conducts a physical relationship with a player who is above the age of legal consent, should that be grounds for dismissal?

(This scenario could arise in heterosexual or same sex relationships)

Whilst I can see that the manager might behave differently to the team member because of emotional attachments, other managers are allowed to manage teams which include their family members (so, also emotional attachment).

Of course, if that manager is working his way around the team, or is in a position of trust, that changes things.  

Outside of football I've seen workplaces where the managers work their way around the firm, without sanction, so I'd be interested to see what employment law has to say about such issues.

15 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Didn't he crack an Ebola joke about her Nigerian family and ask another black player how many times she'd been arrested? 

Then it turns out he's being looked at got inappropriate behaviour at Bristol academy? 

If it was the men's team he'd have gone straight away a la Hoddle. 

Yes allegedly he did and I agree if that's true he should be reprimanded at least.

That said banter creates team spirit: no I'm not saying its necessarily banter or making light of racism but I'm sure O'Neill and Pearson have said worse tongue-in-cheek in front of the lads.

And Aluko just comes over as a bitter woman scorned: you really get the impression that this whole campaign is based on her having been dropped rather than anything he said or did

Archived