Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

Football Manager 2018

2 hours ago, Far Post Gerry said:

Out of interest, what instructions do you use? I've tried similar (433 with attacking fullbacks) and used "look for overlap" and "hit early crosses". But in can't seem to get it to work. 

I wouldn't have look for overlap and hit early crosses. The full back will cross before they can even overlap.

Also depends if your wide players are good at crossing and if your striker is good in the air

If you can post a screenshot of the team it might be easier to see where it's going wrong

Edited by dominicmsb

2 hours ago, Far Post Gerry said:

Out of interest, what instructions do you use? I've tried similar (433 with attacking fullbacks) and used "look for overlap" and "hit early crosses". But in can't seem to get it to work. 

Get rid of hit early crosses.  

I have shoot less, work ball in to box, work ball out of defence, my attacking full back has cross from byline, cross more often and I think I might have look for overlap on. 

At the same time I play high tempo and mixed passing, so this isn't any kind of tiki taka formation. It actually plays fast and reasonably direct. 

Early crosses means he's going to be belting them in ASAP which sort of defeats the point of him being on attack as he'll start whacking them from much deeper. 

Edited by Finnegan

Auto duty full backs default to whatever mentality you play on so Contain & Defend will mean Defend duty fullbacks or wingbacks, Counter, Standard & Control will be Support and Attacking/Overload will be attack duty.

Look for overlap isn’t effective without wingers as the instructions makes MLR/AMLRC hold up the ball and only gives a minor increase to the mentality of DLR/WBLR players. 

So does "look for overlap" work well in anything other than a 442? I use it in 433 cos i wanted attacking fullbacks. Clearly it won't work on 343 or similar. Is there much value in it?

That whole side of the tactics area doesn't feel right to me. I don't like "shoot on sight" as you just end up blasting it over the bar, and "work ball into box" feels a bit too arsenal for my liking (i prefer to be fast and flowing - not slow and sideways). Never tried "look for underlap".

Any suggestions?

13 hours ago, Far Post Gerry said:

So does "look for overlap" work well in anything other than a 442? I use it in 433 cos i wanted attacking fullbacks. Clearly it won't work on 343 or similar. Is there much value in it?

That whole side of the tactics area doesn't feel right to me. I don't like "shoot on sight" as you just end up blasting it over the bar, and "work ball into box" feels a bit too arsenal for my liking (i prefer to be fast and flowing - not slow and sideways). Never tried "look for underlap".

Any suggestions?

Any formation with players in winger positions so 442/4231/433 etc but it instructs all wide players to hold the ball up which if you've got Mahrez wide it might not be suitable as you want him dribbling for example.

Work ball into the box slightly reduces crossing and reduces shooting frequency.

14 hours ago, Wookie said:

Any formation with players in winger positions so 442/4231/433 etc but it instructs all wide players to hold the ball up which if you've got Mahrez wide it might not be suitable as you want him dribbling for example.

Work ball into the box slightly reduces crossing and reduces shooting frequency.

Okay cheers, that's good to know. Still not totally sure what'll work for my team - i might try "work ball into box" with high tempo.  Or just not use any attacking tactic and use individual player instructions instead.

I used to use full backs on automatic but I've grown a pair and gone for attacking.

Do think that's largely because I'm using Shrewsbury in the Championship, and I'm taking a leaf out of Paco Jemez' book by basically saying I'm going to attack everyone regardless of if I take the odd belting because it'll bring me enough wins to survive comfortably.

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I used to use full backs on automatic but I've grown a pair and gone for attacking.

Do think that's largely because I'm using Shrewsbury in the Championship, and I'm taking a leaf out of Paco Jemez' book by basically saying I'm going to attack everyone regardless of if I take the odd belting because it'll bring me enough wins to survive comfortably.

Attacking fullback are a little bit more forgiving at lower levels I find because the opposition are usually a little bit more conservative with theirs so you get caught out by 2 on 1s in wide areas less.

2 hours ago, Wookie said:

Attacking fullback are a little bit more forgiving at lower levels I find because the opposition are usually a little bit more conservative with theirs so you get caught out by 2 on 1s in wide areas less.

Yeah it's definitely a gamble that's paying off. Plus despite often being in pretty precarious situations, these teams just don't consistently have the quality to punish me for it.

Just beat Villa, who are walking the league, 3-0. What a result that is. This is a fantastic save.

Yes then boys.

Get on this. Its brill.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1315648633

Leicester in the Championship with a 17 year old Heskey, 20 year old Izzet, 24 year old Lennon and loads more. There's basically enough to have a full first team squad but then virtually no players after that. Great little challenge. Just need some players to start generating because the scouting is pretty bare from the off.

Decided I'm going to sign up a current 14 year old Cambiasso at some point and change the course of history.

Edited by Ozwin

I've ventured away from my usual Leicester save and I've been managing Fram in Iceland. Iceland is quite good as the season is short, but obviously runs through the summer. I won the Icelandic Cup and got promotion in the first season which means I went into the Europa League which kicks in midway through the following season. Because I progressed through the qualifying rounds it played havoc with my schedule - ended up playing league games every other day to catch up - I had 5 games in hand at one point!

17 hours ago, Ozwin said:

Yes then boys.

Get on this. Its brill.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1315648633

Leicester in the Championship with a 17 year old Heskey, 20 year old Izzet, 24 year old Lennon and loads more. There's basically enough to have a full first team squad but then virtually no players after that. Great little challenge. Just need some players to start generating because the scouting is pretty bare from the off.

Decided I'm going to sign up a current 14 year old Cambiasso at some point and change the course of history.

Love the idea of this. Makes scouting redundant as essentially, you're a manager sent from the future. 

Shame the editor won't allow for the dates and history data to be changed to reflect that time. Nor the transfer values, by the looks of things.

However, you can't beat actually going back to play the games from that time. So many good memories.

5 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Love the idea of this. Makes scouting redundant as essentially, you're a manager sent from the future. 

Shame the editor won't allow for the dates and history data to be changed to reflect that time. Nor the transfer values, by the looks of things.

However, you can't beat actually going back to play the games from that time. So many good memories.

I may have been premature in my recommendation. It's a piece of piss as Leicester in the Championship but there are literally no other players in the game aside from the ones he's made so transfers are virtually impossible. Have to wait until at least the next regen phase to get anyone really as nobody wants to come other than maybe 4 or 5 loanees. I'm gonna stick with it cos being in the Prem will make things easier but yeah, so far it's too easy.

6 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

I've ventured away from my usual Leicester save and I've been managing Fram in Iceland. Iceland is quite good as the season is short, but obviously runs through the summer. I won the Icelandic Cup and got promotion in the first season which means I went into the Europa League which kicks in midway through the following season. Because I progressed through the qualifying rounds it played havoc with my schedule - ended up playing league games every other day to catch up - I had 5 games in hand at one point!

Iceland is a fantastic league. Just change your preferences to Saturday and Wednesday games, I don't like doing it but I don't wanna be screwed over because they won't fix an obvious issue

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

How do you do this? 

You'll find it somewhere in the preferences.. can't remember where off the top of my head but you have the choice of either playing on Saturdays and Wednesdays only or whatever they would call normal which is the default option

14 minutes ago, Walkers said:

You'll find it somewhere in the preferences.. can't remember where off the top of my head but you have the choice of either playing on Saturdays and Wednesdays only or whatever they would call normal which is the default option

Ok mate, I'll take a look thanks

Iceland is great though. Fram have just approved a new stadium upgrading our 500 capacity ground to and 8,200 venue!

2 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Ok mate, I'll take a look thanks

Iceland is great though. Fram have just approved a new stadium upgrading our 500 capacity ground to and 8,200 venue!

Must be the biggest in the country? lol I jumped in straight at the top with FH on FM 16 I think it was. Was there about six years, definitely the nicest fixture scheduling i've came across although just the 22 league games helps. European football in the off-season is a nice challenge too

5 games left in my second season with Bognor Regis. Finished 10th last season after spending majority of it comfortably in the play offs, spent majority of this season leading the table. 

Then the inevitable bad run of form came, and I've dropped to second, GD is keeping me above 3rd spot. 

Honestly this team is like Spurs MKII. They always bottle it when it comes to the run in. 

Really difficult once the bad form kicks in and the morale drops. Cant buy a win and hard to get any momentum going again. 

My main striker, Ollie Pearce was scoring for fun for most of the season, now gets one in around 4 matches. Another key player on the wing, Ben Swallow was getting 1-2 assists a game, until he got to 17 for the season, and then just stopped.