Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

Football Manager 2018

Oh and a bit of a random recommendation from me, Sparta Rotterdam. They're one of many crap Eredivisie sides, but they have a really decent youth set-up and that became the centrepiece of a side I eventually took to the CL knockouts and two Eredivisie titles (first was a really close-run thing, second I just brought in some real quality and absolutely smashed the league to bits). I won my last group game away at Chelsea with a 95th minute goal and actually cheered pretty loudly, like a real goal.

Some clubs were better to manage on older games simply because they've progressed since when I did it. Sparta Rotterdam however are still crap.

Edited by Dan LCFC

25 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Salzburg would surely be too easy. Granted I've just admitted to being Anderlecht.

Leipzig on 17 would've been a proper save but I never did it.

lol Anderlecht in real life have been dodgy for a few years but I doubt FM reflects that. The talent that has came through Belgium over the last decade shows there's probably some lesser clubs that have had a had in bringing them through, didn't OHL have quite a few on their list? One of the highest clubs on my link was Charleroi who I managed on 15 (I think) and they're probably in the small group behind Anderlecht/Brugge/Genk/Gent. Last couple of years they're probably slowly forcing their way into the that group

10 hours ago, Osavo said:

Tried to find them in FM before, but fairly certain you can't actually manage them. Believe Clairefontein is just an academy with youth teams and isn't actually in the French league, although not sure why it's listed if that's the case.

You mean they're not in a manageable league or that they are but you're not allowed to manage them?

Edited by Walkers

8 hours ago, Walkers said:

You mean they're not in a manageable league or that they are but you're not allowed to manage them?

Well Clairefontaine is just an academy of 17/18 year olds, so presumably they compete in some sort of French youth league. Not manageable in FM either way.

1 minute ago, Osavo said:

Well Clairefontaine is just an academy of 17/18 year olds, so presumably they compete in some sort of French youth league. Not manageable in FM either way.

Oh. Weird that they'd be in that list then. I was gonna say my local side play in the 7th tier (so the first unplayable league) and with them as a favourite club they always seem to get promoted to the Conf North at the earliest opportunity. I was gonna suggest doing that might make Clairefontaine playable but maybe not

22 hours ago, Walkers said:

lol Anderlecht in real life have been dodgy for a few years but I doubt FM reflects that. The talent that has came through Belgium over the last decade shows there's probably some lesser clubs that have had a had in bringing them through, didn't OHL have quite a few on their list? One of the highest clubs on my link was Charleroi who I managed on 15 (I think) and they're probably in the small group behind Anderlecht/Brugge/Genk/Gent. Last couple of years they're probably slowly forcing their way into the that group

I reckon I could win the league with any of those four teams you listed there because they've all got good squads, yet I'm not sure the AI is clever enough to utilise them properly. (Maybe not Gent, actually)

My Sparta Rotterdam side probably player for player ended up slightly better than one of those sides (actually, I'm sure I beat Anderlecht in some play-off), nothing significant.

Belgian sides are all clearly loaded as well now. Impossible to sign a player from there on the cheap unless there's some silly clause. Go for any Brugge or Anderlecht youngster and you'll be quoted about £20mil. Only worth it if you're a top side.

Edited by Dan LCFC

On 14/04/2018 at 03:31, stripeyfox said:

Football Manager Touch now available on Nintendo Switch!

Yep! Just bought it with my new switch. Realise I won't have all the players with the full version but does anyone have any advice for Leicester with the Jan update? I normally just use the first few years to build a cash cow and then once I win a league I tend to dominate. Best cheap young players?

On 16/04/2018 at 19:16, Wookie said:

ugh, managed to turn it round but still ugh

5ad4e77055a8b_ScreenShot2018-04-16at19_09_39.thumb.png.cdf872e9d2847c169b688319d49e5d9a.png

Richarlison's first was from a corner and Knocky scored a 25 yarder hit first time so they created **** all really 

Fm18 in a nutshell really. 

I find it vastly frustrating. Its the worst match engine in years, I've never really noticed the match engine that much for the last few versions. 

This year its dire. You create thousands of chances and to balance that they made finishing ridiculously poor. It's just so unimmersive. Defensive positioning is shocking, attacking movement is way overpowered. 

The whole thing is just garbage. It's not fun to manage or watch. 

I don't understand how it's so different to last year really. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2018 at 18:24, maynefox said:

Unfortunately, my Tottenham save in the year 2038 on FM17 became corrupted.

A feel a little lost and all enthusiasm to start another game are lost. (earliest I saved it elsewhere was 2036, I can't be bothered to continue).

Not sure what save I could start. Any peculiar recommendations? I had a look at Spanish second division but quickly realised I had no excitement for it.

I don't want to go to England again. I would like a team that has a good youth set-up in Europe?

Dortmund have some amazing youngsters like Sancho, Isak, Brun Larsen, Pulisic, Beste that you can bring through. Only problem is, the game over powers them some what. I could beat Bayern in my first season to the domestic treble with no signings, and that was with a relatively routine 4-3-3 formation so not sure why theyre overpowered.

Feyenoord would be another good one. I like 18 team leagues the season seems to go by quickly and they have lots of youngsters to choose. Plus, the league is keenly contested and you have the challenge of making them better in europe too which is fun

1 hour ago, Donut said:

Dortmund have some amazing youngsters like Sancho, Isak, Brun Larsen, Pulisic, Beste that you can bring through. Only problem is, the game over powers them some what. I could beat Bayern in my first season to the domestic treble with no signings, and that was with a relatively routine 4-3-3 formation so not sure why theyre overpowered.

Feyenoord would be another good one. I like 18 team leagues the season seems to go by quickly and they have lots of youngsters to choose. Plus, the league is keenly contested and you have the challenge of making them better in europe too which is fun

Not quite Barnet though are they

2 hours ago, somebum said:

Game lost its way circa 97/98. Been trying too hard since. 

The game didn't have any collision detection then so fast strikers could literally run through defences lol 

Edited by Wookie

3 hours ago, somebum said:

these were the days. This is the 2007 version...I'm going for back to back promotions.

fm.jpg

Well... at least you got your name correct.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, somebum said:

these were the days. This is the 2007 version...I'm going for back to back promotions.

fm.jpg

Superb. I had a belter of a save with Leyton Orient where Louis Dodds and Chris O'Grady helped fire me to the Prem before I went on to dominate Europe.

Miss the days of playing this for hours during Sixth Form "study periods" lol.

EDIT: How many Glenn Hoddle's are there? 

Edited by Lovejoy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lovejoy said:

Superb. I had a belter of a save with Leyton Orient where Louis Dodds and Chris O'Grady helped fire me to the Prem before I went on to dominate Europe.

Miss the days of playing this for hours during Sixth Form "study periods" lol.

EDIT: How many Glenn Hoddle's are there? 

Yeah! The glory days.. dominating Europe is also my ambition. Ive got lofty ideas for this team haha. I like this version ofthe game morethan the newer versions. 

I think Glenn Hoddle got that job ?.