Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AjcW

Football Manager 2018

Finished 5th with Bochum in 2022/23 but I feel like I'm underachieving a bit. There's so many games where tactically I did nothing wing and my team was better than the oppositions but they scored from variables outside of my control like scoring from rebounds, the second phase of set pieces, long shots etc. I got the arse bit and started holidaying a few games at the end of the season including the Pokal semi which I lost.

Still not even favoured personnel yet which is annoying considering a player with less than a 100 games that I bought has made it.

Edited by Stadt

On 26/08/2018 at 18:59, Worthington said:

Brentford !!

Its the best save by a mile for me. So much young talent, all great passers of the ball, problem is it's easy to get them up first season, but the players are nowhere near ready for the prem... ended up coming back down and now i'm crushing the Champ again... hoping to not end up like West Brom and yoyo for years! 

4 minutes ago, Worthington said:

I bulked up on 'frees' and loans and survived 1st season 'up top'  Struggling for signings 2020 summer though!

I think for some reason I wanted to treat the save as a “stick to their principles” game and stuck with the DOF and Scouts recommendations of skandi and French second division buys which was the issue! 

I also signed Dembele in January to save us without realising he was ineligible to play for a 3rd team lol 

safe to say he is destroying the championship! 

Haven't touched this in anger for months, but have just started a game as Valladolid, inspired by Ronaldo taking control there. I updated the league as they were promoted and their transfers. Beat Barca 1-0 on the opening day before Real thumped me 4-0 in my second game. Playing a "pragmatic" 4-1-4-1 as the squad is fairly shite, looking forward to seeing how we get on.

One thing that really needs fixing for 19 is the DoF.

I sometimes like to set the DoF to run transfers (alongside my own finds) and especially at Brentford as Philip Giles is bloody brilliant! 

However, why is it that every so often they latch on to one position, and it's usually one you don't need! He's spent two months throwing money at Goalkeepers and I have to keep cancelling because we have two perfectly good ones!

15 hours ago, AjcW said:

One thing that really needs fixing for 19 is the DoF.

I sometimes like to set the DoF to run transfers (alongside my own finds) and especially at Brentford as Philip Giles is bloody brilliant! 

However, why is it that every so often they latch on to one position, and it's usually one you don't need! He's spent two months throwing money at Goalkeepers and I have to keep cancelling because we have two perfectly good ones!

I've never really used the DoF role, I really should. All I really use him for is offloading the players I don't want any more.

In other news, does anyone have any useful links for tactical stuff, particularly team instructions? I've always used a 4-3-2-1 with a DM triangle and 2 IFs, and it's working fine until I play a possession -focused team, who rip me to pieces. I feel like I have a decent understanding of the player roles and their importance, but the team instructions don't always seem to have the effect I'd expect - eg: I tried 'close down more often' and 'higher defensive line' and it didn't seem to make any real difference - there's no 'player' reason why it shouldn't (ie low work rate), so I'm presuming it's me not understanding what I'm doing! 

2 hours ago, TeePee said:

I've never really used the DoF role, I really should. All I really use him for is offloading the players I don't want any more.

In other news, does anyone have any useful links for tactical stuff, particularly team instructions? I've always used a 4-3-2-1 with a DM triangle and 2 IFs, and it's working fine until I play a possession -focused team, who rip me to pieces. I feel like I have a decent understanding of the player roles and their importance, but the team instructions don't always seem to have the effect I'd expect - eg: I tried 'close down more often' and 'higher defensive line' and it didn't seem to make any real difference - there's no 'player' reason why it shouldn't (ie low work rate), so I'm presuming it's me not understanding what I'm doing! 

I always just think i might as well, because that way if he finds a gem then brilliant, if he churns up a load of shit you can just withdraw the bid :)

On the IF point... i've never had success with two IF's unless i'm at an amazing side. I find the balance of one IF and one Winger works quite well.

If I had to analyse why two IF's would struggle against a possession based team, my guess would be that the lack of support for the wing backs and the space two IF's cutting in leaves means that teams can sort of pass it around you a bit more, as there's more space. 

Yeah, I guess you have a point there - I've got a very decent LB, but I'm having a hard time finding a suitable RB (apparently Man U and PSG are stockpiling the bastards). Might be a good idea for me to find a decent LW option and play with wingers instead of IFs.

If anyone does have any particularly good resources for explaining team instructions and how they work though, I'd still be very interested. I don't like downloading plug-and-play tactics, as it kind of defeats the point for me, but I'm struggling to get the most out of what appear to be decent formations. I feel like I'm doing the basics right (ensuring the players are the right fit for the roles I'm asking of them, making sure I have a balance of attacking and defending roles and that I'm not dragging players out of position by having a BWM and a Mezzala in the same midfield etc), but it's just that last piece of the puzzle that's falling short - I've tried google, but there's so damn much conflicting information out there that I don't really know what to believe.

Edited by TeePee

26 minutes ago, TeePee said:

Yeah, I guess you have a point there - I've got a very decent LB, but I'm having a hard time finding a suitable RB (apparently Man U and PSG are stockpiling the bastards). Might be a good idea for me to find a decent LW option and play with wingers instead of IFs.

If anyone does have any particularly good resources for explaining team instructions and how they work though, I'd still be very interested. I don't like downloading plug-and-play tactics, as it kind of defeats the point for me, but I'm struggling to get the most out of what appear to be decent formations. I feel like I'm doing the basics right (ensuring the players are the right fit for the roles I'm asking of them, making sure I have a balance of attacking and defending roles and that I'm not dragging players out of position by having a BWM and a Mezzala in the same midfield etc), but it's just that last piece of the puzzle that's falling short - I've tried google, but there's so damn much conflicting information out there that I don't really know what to believe.

I think that's always going to be the case with FM re contradicting opinions. Interestingly what makes the game quite realistic is that you need a good season and a half to firm up a tactic.... yet if it's failing early on you'll probably get the sack lol just like real life! 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

FM19 announcement expected this week so will start the new thread when that happens.

They've had a big rebrand and big changes are expected, as well as investing in proper licences for the likes of the Bundesliga which will be good! 

Update* Miles says Thursday at Midday is when press are allowed to report on new game so feature videos expected from that point on :) 

Edited by AjcW

• 4 weeks later...