Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bob Weasel Fox

Next City Manager?

Next possible City Manager  

705 members have voted

1. 1. Who next for City when Shakey gets booted

• Martin O’Neill
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Eddie Howe
    • David Wagner
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ex-Dortmund Tuchel
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Bob Weasel Fox

33 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

The day Pardew gets named Leicester manager is the day I begin vomiting for eternity. 

On a side note it doesn't look like Dyche has played down links at all or he wouldn't have said he was flattered, which is basically an admission that Leicester are a bigger, better prospect than Burnley in his opinion. 

He actually said "other clubs".....there's a video of it on here somewhere....

4 minutes ago, Far Post Gerry said:

Graham Potter's Ostersunds currently beating Altetico Bilbao. Qualified for Euro group stages for first time in their history, beating Galatasaray on the way.

Not a chance in hell we'll go for him, but a very exciting young English manager all the same.

Never heard of him but just googled him and it's certainly not the worst shout in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Potter

He took a fourth tier Swedish team all the way to the top division and then won the cup. As you say his team is currently beating Bilbao after already beating Galatasaray. A professional footballer up to Championship level for ten years and he's obviously an intelligent chap as he has a degree in social science and a masters in leadership and emotional intelligence. He sounds like he knows people and can be inspirational with his educational background.

I think he certainly would be worth an interview to see if he could really impress with a presentation at the interview and maybe alongside a more experienced manager like Hiddink for a year. This is really leftfield but would certainly get my juices flowing, his credentials are outstanding at only 42 years old and he could be a potential world class manager if only given the chance.

11 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Never heard of him but just googled him and it's certainly not the worst shout in the world.

He took a fourth tier Swedish team all the way to the top division and then won the cup. As you say his team is currently beating Bilbao after already beating Galatasaray. A professional footballer up to Championship level for ten years and he's obviously an intelligent chap as he has a degree in social science and a masters in leadership and emotional intelligence. He sounds like he knows people and can be inspirational with his educational background.

I think he certainly would be worth an interview to see if he could really impress with a presentation at the interview and maybe alongside a more experienced manager like Hiddink for a year. This is really leftfield but would certainly get my juices flowing, his credentials are outstanding at only 42 years old and he could be a potential world class manager if only given the chance.

Yep, big potential if given a chance. Get the feeling he might not get a break in England though (and def not with us!). One of the many examples of a very average player becoming a (potentially) excellent manager.

Puel and Galtier probably aren't what we want or need as they're renowned for being defensively formidable but often uninspiring attacking coaches but we could do a lot worse, like Pardew worse.

37 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I read about his Ostersunds team a while ago and it's a remarkable story, I think his career will go one of two ways - either he's genuinely a fantastic manager and goes on to succeed at the highest level or he's the perfect Ostersunds manager and never does particularly well after.

24 minutes ago, Far Post Gerry said:

Yep, big potential if given a chance. Get the feeling he might not get a break in England though (and def not with us!). One of the many examples of a very average player becoming a (potentially) excellent manager.

The two certainly aren't mutually exclusive. There have been loads of examples of managers who played at a low level or never even played that went on to do well. Likewise some great players have utterly flopped in management.

The skill set is completely different but this Potter guy ticks a lot of boxes. He has played professionally for ten years and a lot of that at Championship level. He's got a degree and a masters so is obviously very intelligent and he's took a fourth tier Swedish side to the top division and currently tops his Europa League after three games which contains Hertha Berlin and Atletico Bilbao. 

Management isn't necessarily a meritocracy like playing football is. I'd love us to give him an interview with a complete open mind to see if he could really impress us with a presentation on how he would play and move the club forward and to see if he's alpha and confident enough to control our squad.

Just now, pmcla26 said:

I think he would need a step in between though, just think about his mid game decision making and how that would be impacted with 30,000 City fans screaming at him, or what the pressure of the press would be like etc 

I'm sure he's a very talented man, but it seems like he'd be out of his depth if he came to Leicester right now, it would be like say if we had an academy prospect in the under 16s who was playing out of his skin and had the potential to be the next Vardy or Mahrez for us, and we chucked him into the starting 11. I just don't think that he could cope with it straight away but give him a championship side that's in lower-mid table and he might prove himself to having the quality to manage in the big league.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. He's managed them since 2011 so knows his way round the game and he's risen to every challenge he's ever had and currently his team tops his Europa League group all after starting out with this club six years which would have been little more than a glorified pub team. He's played for Birmingham, Stoke, West Brom and Southampton so it's not like he doesn't know what it takes to be at good football clubs.

I'm not saying I'd definitely give him the job but I'd certainly interview him with an open mind. You only have to look at the Hoffenheim coach who got the job at 28 and is now touted to be the next Bayern manager and is still only 30. I'm sure Nagelsmann was a risk for Hoffenheim but he obviously had outstanding qualities for them to take a risk which has so far worked out brilliantly.

52 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

I suggest we hurry up and get who we want because Everton will want someone shortly!

Koeman would be very good for us though.

Did a good job at Southampton and they always looked good whenever they played us. 

Archived