Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bob Weasel Fox

Next City Manager?

Next possible City Manager  

705 members have voted

1. 1. Who next for City when Shakey gets booted

• Martin O’Neill
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Eddie Howe
    • David Wagner
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ex-Dortmund Tuchel
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Bob Weasel Fox

7 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

For me Dyche is hands down the best option. Pellegrini would only be short term and I don't know if he's the man to lead a rebuilding job. 

Again, I don't know why people think we need a rebuilding job?

We need to sign players to improve the squad, like every club every season.

We don't need to rip things up and start again.

1 minute ago, Kitchandro said:

Most of the squad is either old or shit or completely unproven in this league. Our style of player hasn't worked for a year and a half. The players hold a lot of power and needs someone strong enough to deal with them and the rebuild when we inevitably lose Vardy & Mahrez.

We're at a point where we need an identity moving forward, and need someone capable of coming in and being strong enough to sort out all the backroom stuff that has floundered since NP left.

Personally I think the job is, or is going to be a bit more than just us needing to sign a few better players.

3 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

If Appleton carries on the good form over the next few or more games, from the Swansea game, and gets the nod for the manager position - would you agree with this and give him time/patience etc?

Yes, he's inexperienced at this level - but he if does the above and gets it'll be based on merit and that it'd show that he's capable of doing the job?

None of the potentially interested candidates at the moment (apart from Dyche) are better than Appleton anyway. I don't see Dyche leaving Burnley mid season for us or Everton tbh.

I hope that regardless what happens, Appleton will stay on as either no 1 or no 2. I reckon the board might see it as a compromise with the players for binning their beloved Shakey. Hopefully the caretaker > manager thing doesn't count against him.

17 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Because from the outside it seems like he we have a group of players on big contracts that don't have the same appetite that they used to have. We lack an identity and need someone who is going to develop a real strong team ethos which a group of players want to buy into. I want a manager that has a clear idea of the players he wants to bring in and will invest heavily in the infrastructure of the club. 

13 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Most of the squad is either old or shit or completely unproven in this league. Our style of player hasn't worked for a year and a half. The players hold a lot of power and needs someone strong enough to deal with them and the rebuild when we inevitably lose Vardy & Mahrez.

We're at a point where we need an identity moving forward, and need someone capable of coming in and being strong enough to sort out all the backroom stuff that has floundered since NP left.

Personally I think the job is, or is going to be a bit more than just us needing to sign a few better players.

Hit the nail right on the head. I really wish I could have made my point that articulately. 

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

What style of play? We haven't got one. For 18 months we've been sitting back trying to play at a slow tempo, so it's no surprise we're not playing well. I have maintained that if we played in the style we did 2 seasons ago we'd be nowhere near the relegation zone.

Look at our best performances over the last 18 months, the standout ones amongst mostly crap. Sevilla at home, Liverpool at home, Man City at home. I'd chuck Arsenal this season in there as well (going forward, defensively we were hopeless). The thing they have in common is we played with a high tempo and we pressed. And we were as good in those games as when we won the league.

If we played like that every week we'd do ok. Our problem is, as you say, we're playing without an identity now. I think this is the biggest problem. I don't think our squad is crap. I don't think it needs a huge overhaul. Besides, you can't do a mass overhaul, it never works, you need to blend players in slowly.

Every new manager will have his own backroom staff and way of doing things. I don't consider that rebuilding, that's just standard. Besides, are they going to be able to bring their own scout in? They're not going to be able to get rid of Rudkin.

A rebuilding job to me is like at a club like Sunderland, where there is no real talent on the books whatsoever and they need to bring in some dough by selling a load of them off anyway. We're not in that position, we still have some good players and we're not skint. We do need a long term manager, someone who will transition the title winning team into the next 'generation' if you will, hopefully using the same philosophies. But that is just natural development and improvement that any permanent manager would be expected to do.

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

he's certainly look to introduce a better way of retaining possession, I just hope he'd also be mindful of our strengths as a counter attacking and fast team and blend the two. I have read a few bits that he went conservative at Southampton when chronic injuries set in and he realized that defensively they were sound so he could tighten up and pinch goals and see out games which ultimately cost him as they drew and lost far too many in the 2nd part of the season.

sounds like ranieri 16/17 :unsure:

17 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

It certainly didn't look like we were trying to retain possession under Ranieri in 16/17. The ball spent most of the time in the air. 

We didn't retain possession when we won the league either.

The difference was we no longer had movement and options off the ball so passes were going to the opposition rather than in the net in the space of 15 seconds.

People might get sick of me repeating myself but I can't be doing with anyone talking about possession like it's an important stat or something we need to be doing. On its own it's meaningless.

Goals are what's important. You find the best way to score goals and for us it was about winning the ball high up the pitch and throwing men forward to support when we do. And it still should be. It's extremely difficult to play against without negating your own threat.

This isn't a dig at you by the way, just a reference to the original point.

2 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Tbf to the big guy he does generally deliver over Christmas, and we all know that’s a difficult time in the footballing calendar. 

Right then let’s get the Daily Snail & Paddy Power to pop The big Red man as a 5-1 fav for the Leicester hot seat he’ll probably want to bring Rudy as his assistant and I can’t see him being too Elfish at all when it comes to Appleton !!????

3 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

We didn't retain possession when we won the league either.

The difference was we no longer had movement and options off the ball so passes were going to the opposition rather than in the net in the space of 15 seconds.

People might get sick of me repeating myself but I can't be doing with anyone talking about possession like it's an important stat or something we need to be doing. On its own it's meaningless.

Goals are what's important. You find the best way to score goals and for us it was about winning the ball high up the pitch and throwing men forward to support when we do. And it still should be. It's extremely difficult to play against without negating your own threat.

This isn't a dig at you by the way, just a reference to the original point.

I agree with you on that. The points you've made are exactly why Sean Dyche is my first choice for the job. His style of football coincides with what we're best at. 

1 minute ago, ARM1968 said:

Is that where you want us to stay?  Hire gravel gob because we’re one trick ponies?

If you want us to play pretty football then the likelihood is we'll need a much higher turnover of players. He'd have far more money to spend here than at Burnley so will have the opportunity to push higher up the table. We'll never know the true extent of what he's capable of unless he's given the oppotunity whether that's here, Everton or elsewhere. 

26 minutes ago, Bboy said:

Where's Bob Weasel Fox? We need an updated list of contenders for the job to vote for on this poll. Be interesting to see Dyche, Puel, Pellegrini on there etc.

Last seen walking round the stadium wearing a sandwich board with 'vote Bob ' on it! 

Archived