Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

Memories of The Charlotte

I remember the whole crowd doing a conga from front of the stage to the back while Uncle Brian played 'Going To Ibiza'.

I also still have a scar from crowd surfing at a The View gig. Jumped off the hand rail going to the toilets by the stage. Nobody caught me and I stacked it hard.

I miss The Charlotte. It was my second home as a teenager.

1 hour ago, baker11 said:

What a little gem this place was.

Remember the club night 'Porked' was all was a great event. They had local bands 'The Dandilions' and 'The Displacements' on regularly.

Remember them both, around 06/07 the Displacements seemed to be in the Mercury every week being touted as the next big thing but they seemed to disappear

5 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Remember them both, around 06/07 the Displacements seemed to be in the Mercury every week being touted as the next big thing but they seemed to disappear

Countesthorpe lads I think, the drummer was in the year or two above me at Lutterworth. Remember them getting a big gig supporting the Courteeners.

Similar band did you ever see 'ego-armalade'?

So many memories of this place.

First time I went it was to an over 18s American Head Charge gig when I was about 15 and I wasn't exactly the oldest looking 15 year old. Ended up on stage.

Saw Enter Shikari there and in the part with a few seats there was a broken metal chair and you know that thing people do where they half sit down and grab a chair.... I kept sliding this under people doing that so they instantly capsized lol.

Went to see Gallows with Lethal Bizzle and Poison The Well supporting lol.

Miss this place, its almost entirely responsible for my hearing being shite now.

12 minutes ago, baker11 said:

Countesthorpe lads I think, the drummer was in the year or two above me at Lutterworth. Remember them getting a big gig supporting the Courteeners.

Wasn't the drummer about 3? Think I saw these at my school.

38 minutes ago, baker11 said:

Don't remember them but I Googled and they look very NME Shockwaves 2007 Little Man Tate

Only saw a few gigs there, The Holloways, Milburn and The Pipettes I think. Some absolutely massive names have played there. I remember looking at posters of previous gigs in there and seeing some big names for something like £3 admission.

Talking of bands knocking around in 06/07 I'm seeing Pigeon Detectives on their 10 year anniversary tour of Wait For Me tonight. Should be decent!

16 minutes ago, Mark said:

3831512.jpg?

There we go! 1990, crikey :o

We used to go loads in the early 90's. Saw the likes of Shed Seven, Sleeper, The Charlatans, Inspiral Carpets etc. but I can't remember if they were all at the Princess Charlotte or the Polytechic.

It's all a bit of a Blur now lol 

Edit. Must add 'Cast' to that list. They did 'Fine Time' before it was a hit and I remember thinking what a brilliant tune :thumbup:

I Loved the place,

Panic at the Disco were that small time there mum and dad were their to set up for them.

Fall Out Boy was random at Pete Wentz was ill so a guy from a band called spittalfields played for them they were good under the circumstances!

Towers of London were just off their heads was pretty crap!

Hundred Reasons - Sure i broke a rib against the rail in there!

There are a few others but i cant remember! i am pretty sure i have the ticket stubs somewhere!

12 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

There we go! 1990, crikey :o

We used to go loads in the early 90's. Saw the likes of Shed Seven, Sleeper, The Charlatans, Inspiral Carpets etc. but I can't remember if they were all at the Princess Charlotte or the Polytechic.

It's all a bit of a Blur now lol 

Edit. Must add 'Cast' to that list. They did 'Fine Time' before it was a hit and I remember thinking what a brilliant tune :thumbup:

I'm jealous, even though I was obsessed with music at that time for some reason I never went to gigs, when I finally got the live music bug most of my fave bands had already split up.lol

8 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I'm jealous, even though I was obsessed with music at that time for some reason I never went to gigs, when I finally got the live music bug most of my fave bands had already split up.lol

lol

I've got loads of regrets too. Although we had a purple patch in the early 90's when we saw loads of gigs, I still never got to see The Roses or Oasis live which still pisses me off to this day :(

St Etienne, The Zutons, The Thrills, Salad, Nine Black Alps, Charlotte Hatherley, The Subways, Willy Mason, probably others I've forgotten. At least one 'battle of the band's event.

Great venue... sadly nothing like it locally. :(

5 hours ago, filbertway said:

Only saw a few gigs there, The Holloways, Milburn and The Pipettes I think. Some absolutely massive names have played there. I remember looking at posters of previous gigs in there and seeing some big names for something like £3 admission.

Talking of bands knocking around in 06/07 I'm seeing Pigeon Detectives on their 10 year anniversary tour of Wait For Me tonight. Should be decent!

I went the Pipettes gig. Amazing. 

Archived