Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

Memories of The Charlotte

3 hours ago, goose2010 said:

I Loved the place,

Panic at the Disco were that small time there mum and dad were their to set up for them.

Fall Out Boy was random at Pete Wentz was ill so a guy from a band called spittalfields played for them they were good under the circumstances!

Towers of London were just off their heads was pretty crap!

Hundred Reasons - Sure i broke a rib against the rail in there!

There are a few others but i cant remember! i am pretty sure i have the ticket stubs somewhere!

Not listened to them for yonks but I loved that first album and was gutted I missed out on tickets to that show. With The Academy Is... IIRC

Absolutely loved that place, much prefered it before they knocked it about. Loved the two little bars but mainly used the back bar.

Anyway gigs wise I remember Turin Brakes being a great one but my absolute favourite was probably mid 90's.  American rap/rock band The Goats, mental night.

2 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Not listened to them for yonks but I loved that first album and was gutted I missed out on tickets to that show. With The Academy Is... IIRC

Yeah first album was great, loved acamedy is as well no idea how they never made it like fall out boy, panic at the disco etc. 

7 hours ago, goose2010 said:

I Loved the place,

Panic at the Disco were that small time there mum and dad were their to set up for them.

Fall Out Boy was random at Pete Wentz was ill so a guy from a band called spittalfields played for them they were good under the circumstances!

There are a few others but i cant remember! i am pretty sure i have the ticket stubs somewhere!

Saw Hundred reasons there as well, class gig.

Husker Du, 1985ish.  Amazing.

Also the worst gig I've ever seen - Hunters Club. Me and my brother used to sing their track 'Violence' for years afterwards and then fall about laughing at the memory. 'Violence! Violence! The only thing that'll make 'em see Sense!'  

Actually, I'm thinking that might be Appleton's philosophy.

19 hours ago, goose2010 said:

I Loved the place,

I got into a mid-gig scrap with their lead singer when they supported Babyshambles. All I did was give him some constructive pointers on their music.

7 hours ago, Gary Eatfood said:

I got into a mid-gig scrap with their lead singer when they supported Babyshambles. All I did was give him some constructive pointers on their music.

That guy from Towers Of London is a massive bellend, hope you got your pointers across to him...

On 20/10/2017 at 15:46, Trav Le Bleu said:

St Etienne, The Zutons, The Thrills, Salad, Nine Black Alps, Charlotte Hatherley, The Subways, Willy Mason, probably others I've forgotten. At least one 'battle of the band's event.

Great venue... sadly nothing like it locally. :(

...and Stereophonics, Space, Loop Guru, Symposium (what a live band they were!!)

37 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Simon Amstell. That was peak Buzzcocks, superb watching people get taken apart week after week.

That’s the one, guy is an absolute legend the way he destroyed people.

Preston from The Ordinary Boys episode was class.

4 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Yup. I've got photos of it from a disposable camera somewhere. 

They can only be fantastic! How sensational was the knitwear I was rocking? Did I go full Cosby sweater (I had no idea I swear!) or tasteful hipster cardigan?

1 minute ago, General Smuts said:

They can only be fantastic! How sensational was the knitwear I was rocking? Did I go full Cosby sweater (I had no idea I swear!) or tasteful hipster cardigan?

Can't say I recall the knitwear but I remember someone shouting "Emo fags" or something of that ilk as they were driving past the queue. Was hipster even a thing then? 

Just now, ajthefox said:

Can't say I recall the knitwear but I remember someone shouting "Emo fags" or something of that ilk as they were driving past the queue. Was hipster even a thing then? 

I was fashion forward obviously.

And that was definitely aimed at you. I was super cool in the early noughties. I was the inspiration for Seth Cohen. 

Went to my first gig there, snuck out and went to see a Kerrang introducing triple bill, A, Manbreak and Glitterbox. Had to leave before Glitterbox to get the bus home, but that was fine they were a bit shit.

I also remember the big reopening gig after they knocked through the 2 rooms, 3 Colours Red being the "big name" band to reopen it.

Archived