Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Claude Puel - Contender

5 minutes ago, Buzzcrow said:

Hi all. Saints fan her so go easy on me. LOL.

Just wanted to say that Southampton didn't actually sack Claude Puel in the conventional way, according to Matt Le Tissier on Gillette Soccer Saturday a couple of months ago. Matt said that Puel was offered the chance to stay on as manager but he would have to change his style of play. Puel refused. That's why it took us so long to appoint Pellegrino who it has to be said is not doing great. There were a few of us that thought Puel might do well in his second season and were willing to give him another chance mainly because of the cup run and getting us to a major cup Final. To be honest he is still a bit of an enigma to most of us Saints fans and it would be hard to guess what is in store for Leicester with Puel in charge. I, for one, wish him well and hope he does a good job (except against us of course) for Leicester. We can throw in Eric Black (taken on as Puels interpreter) as well if you like. Good luck, it's going to be interesting to see what we are missing. :)

What was your most common formation and style of play under him?

4 minutes ago, Buzzcrow said:

Just wanted to say that Southampton didn't actually sack Claude Puel in the conventional way, according to Matt Le Tissier on Gillette Soccer Saturday a couple of months ago. Matt said that Puel was offered the chance to stay on as manager but he would have to change his style of play. Puel refused. That's why it took us so long to appoint Pellegrino who it has to be said is not doing great. There were a few of us that thought Puel might do well in his second season and were willing to give him another chance mainly because of the cup run and getting us to a major cup Final. To be honest he is still a bit of an enigma to most of us Saints fans and it would be hard to guess what is in store for Leicester with Puel in charge. I, for one, wish him well and hope he does a good job (except against us of course) for Leicester. We can throw in Eric Black (taken on as Puels interpreter) as well if you like. Good luck, it's going to be interesting to see what we are missing. :)

Nice to hear a Saints Fan's insight. May I ask how have things changed under Pellegrino? And Puel, what formation did he favour? Was there a clear way in which he wanted the team to play?

19 minutes ago, Buzzcrow said:

I remember you being the better team in a 0-0 draw at our place last season under him. Looked a tidy side, just lacking a clinical striker. 

36 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Nice to hear a Saints Fan's insight. May I ask how have things changed under Pellegrino? And Puel, what formation did he favour? Was there a clear way in which he wanted the team to play?

38 minutes ago, Sampson said:

What was your most common formation and style of play under him?

Hi Ben, Hi Sam Puel was a defence minded manager and set his team up not to lose  and prefered a 4-4-2 diamond formation. It was like watching England under Hodgson with a lot of slow build up and sideways/backwards passing and ended up a very boring 0-0 or the opposition would suss us out and nick a win at St Mary's. Very frustrating and Puel being stubborn would not change his style. Maybe we just didn't have the players for that style of football. Pellegrino is still learning and makes a point of telling us this all the time about how we need to improve. I think our board are looking for another Pochettino but isn't everyone. At the moment the PL looks a bit of a challenge for Pellegrino and we are hoping he comes good in the end.   

The thing is there isn't a lot of quality managers about for the likes of us and I reckon Puel has learned a lot in his first PL season with Saints. He is very good with young talent and in all honesty I think Puel will surprise a few people including myself. 

8 minutes ago, Sly said:

This is happening isn’t it?!? :huh:

Losing 0-5 Arsenal
Losing 1-0 to Sparta Prague 
Drawing with HBS twice 
Losing 2-1 to Hull who had one win in 20
Losing 3-0 to Palace who had one once in 18
Losing comfortably to WBA, Burnley, Swansea, WHU, Stoke
Not beating any of the top 6 in the league all season

Was a great season lol.gif

Quote on Puel from the Southampton forum. 

46 minutes ago, Sly said:

Losing 0-5 Arsenal
Losing 1-0 to Sparta Prague 
Drawing with HBS twice 
Losing 2-1 to Hull who had one win in 20
Losing 3-0 to Palace who had one once in 18
Losing comfortably to WBA, Burnley, Swansea, WHU, Stoke
Not beating any of the top 6 in the league all season

Was a great season lol.gif

Quote on Puel from the Southampton forum. 

+ reaching the league cup final + securing 8th place finish in the PL

5 hours ago, Mendi said:

He crap because if you ask Saints fans you find out. Sacked from Southampton remember that. Now how that posting crap. If you don't agree with me don't comment simple as. thank you :schmike:

You do realise he has had other managerial jobs.

Ranieri was just bumped off by Greece after losing to the Faroe Islands before we took him on. Stop posting crap.

6 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

I would rather have Puel than; 

Colman

Pardew

Almyeda

Giggs

Alladyce

we're not going to get;

Tunchel

Anchelotti

Wagner

Marco Silva

we can't afford;

Pellagrini

Dyche and Lauren Blanc would be the only other avenues I'd like us to have gone down, but all in all, he's probably as good as we could get, in reality.

This is a good post and probably along the lines of what the owners are thinking. 

That said it’s still an underwhelming appointmentment. It screams “mid table” which is understandable but boring. If you’re Mahrez, Vardy or Kasper does this appointment make you excited or does it make you talk to your agent about the next move? Mahrez wants to go anyway but I’d quite like the other two to stay please!

He will be treated like Ranieri was when he came in. IE we will get behind him but he needs to win us over. Ranieri started like a house on fire, I still remember that first 20 minutes in the home game against Sunderland where we ripped them up. After that game the fans were a lot more optimistic and we all know what happened next. 

Everyone deserves a chance so I’ll certainly give him the benefit of the doubt. But a few bad performances will put more pressure on him than a bigger name coach. 

6 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

I would rather have Puel than; 

Colman

Pardew

Almyeda

Giggs

Alladyce

we're not going to get;

Tunchel

Anchelotti

Wagner

Marco Silva

we can't afford;

Pellagrini

Dyche and Lauren Blanc would be the only other avenues I'd like us to have gone down, but all in all, he's probably as good as we could get, in reality.

Spot on.

One advantage to Puel should be his extensive contacts in France. There's a lot of talent to be unearthed there due to their many colonies and maybe he'll be able to find us some gems without paying out a fortune for players untried in the premier league. Another Riyad would be nice.

Whatever the case, I'm getting right behind him and he'll get a full 45 minutes support from me before I start complaining on here.

1 minute ago, Farrington fox said:

Don’t get this, has it been announced then?

join most LCFC fans on that then, it hasnt yet, wouldnt be surprised if it was today or this week,

havent felt this underwhelmed getting a new manager since Megson, but at least old king Jon is getting the yes man he wants:ph34r:

5 hours ago, Buzzcrow said:

Your ex manager and good wishes, yes, thanks.

Eric Black, no, thanks.

Good luck to you for the rest of the season too.

7 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Don’t get this, has it been announced then?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/10/24/leicester-3-leeds-1-michael-appleton-step-unbeaten-record-foxes/

If John Percy says it's happening, then I believe him.

I'm not overwhelmed or inspired by the appointment, but I don't see it as a complete disaster. I see it a safe option from the management, and maybe that's what we need right now a safe stable option.

I hope Appleton is allowed to stay on, I have like the way hes managed the players and like the way hes come across the past few weeks. 

From Wiki

just saying...... I make no opinion..... everyone should be given a chance to prove themselves :)

"Puel was particularly criticised for his defensive tactics, with Southampton's scoring record one of the poorest in the league"

Team From To Record        
      G W D L Win %
Monaco 13-Jan-99 30-Jun-01 91 44 16 31 48.35
Lille 1-Jul-02 17-Jun-08 298 119 94 85 39.93
Lyon 18-Jun-08 20-Jun-11 154 74 44 36 48.05
Nice 23-May-12 24-May-16 167 68 37 62 40.72
Southampton 30-Jun-16 14-Jun-17 53 20 13 20 37.74
Total     763 325 204 234

Just goes to show that no one is available that we want and those that are don't want to come! One of my biggest criticisms of Shakey was the dull football we seemed to be playing and this appointment doesn't make me excited, still guess I will wait and see. 

This feels sensible to me and straight out of the strong and stable mantra of the conservatives which makes sense. We currently have a combination of 3 managers’ signings plus Walsh & Rudkin’s influences. The last thing we need is someone coming in with yet more changes and ways of doing things. His track record points to moderate success and comes across as a safe appointment. Sometimes doing nothing and simple consolidation is a option people forget to exercise, the last manager that did that here worked out pretty well.

Archived