Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Claude Puel - Contender

5 hours ago, Buzzcrow said:

Hi Ben, Hi Sam Puel was a defence minded manager and set his team up not to lose  and prefered a 4-4-2 diamond formation. It was like watching England under Hodgson with a lot of slow build up and sideways/backwards passing and ended up a very boring 0-0 or the opposition would suss us out and nick a win at St Mary's. Very frustrating and Puel being stubborn would not change his style. Maybe we just didn't have the players for that style of football. Pellegrino is still learning and makes a point of telling us this all the time about how we need to improve. I think our board are looking for another Pochettino but isn't everyone. At the moment the PL looks a bit of a challenge for Pellegrino and we are hoping he comes good in the end.   

The thing is there isn't a lot of quality managers about for the likes of us and I reckon Puel has learned a lot in his first PL season with Saints. He is very good with young talent and in all honesty I think Puel will surprise a few people including myself. 

Oh dear, those first 3 sentences seem to encapsulate just about everything that's hated here. Don't like the sound of that at all :(

Anyone seen Claudio's Nantes side this year? Very similar to the second half of our the title year (or large parts of it). Low scoring but tight defence. 

From thr the owners perspective PL and European experience - regardless of style decent track record in both. No compensation to pay and if he agrees to a short term deal surely it's worth s punt. The options are limited. 

6 hours ago, Buzzcrow said:

Hi Ben, Hi Sam Puel was a defence minded manager and set his team up not to lose  and prefered a 4-4-2 diamond formation. It was like watching England under Hodgson with a lot of slow build up and sideways/backwards passing and ended up a very boring 0-0 or the opposition would suss us out and nick a win at St Mary's. Very frustrating and Puel being stubborn would not change his style.

Fvck me!!!!!!! ???

I have said I'm underwhelmed before, but what we need is for someone to give us an alternative to our plan A, and judge players based on their current abilities (as someone has said above). Can he deliver that? Possibly. It's the most exciting appointment, possibly underwhelming, but it could be the right fit. He should keep Appleton on though, he's clearly got something with the players.

I'd be much more alarmed if we are wanted to give it to Giggs, Coleman or Almeyda etc

11 minutes ago, roblcfc84 said:

Anyone seen Claudio's Nantes side this year? Very similar to the second half of our the title year (or large parts of it). Low scoring but tight defence. 

From thr the owners perspective PL and European experience - regardless of style decent track record in both. No compensation to pay and if he agrees to a short term deal surely it's worth s punt. The options are limited. 

Compared to the money we have wasted on slimani, musa and mendy the options should be endless!

14 minutes ago, roblcfc84 said:

Really shouldn’t be a factor in this decision 

Looking for tactical analysis on Puel I came across this. Interesting read on Southamptons pre season last year. 

http://freshsaints.com/a-tactical-analysis-of-claude-puels-southampton/

Based on the read I'd play something along the lines of this

Schmeichel 

Albrighton Maguire Dragovic Chilwell 

Ndidi 

Silva(James/King for now)  Iborra 

Mahrez 

Vardy Iheanacho

6 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

We know interims always win

come on I'm trying to be positive here! lol

EDIT: It has to be said, we had no chance to appoint the likes of Tuchel or Pellegrini or Ancelotti (who I think is past it)... so Puel's probably the best owners could get

People say we aren't a defensive team and you're right except our last attacking manager was Sven so it just shows our owners aren't that bothered what the style of football we play we are just expected to be successful.

Right now we have a squad geared up for attacking football in forwards and wingers but not in midfield. Our defence isn't as solid as you'd expect for a supposed pragmatic team so it'll be interesting to see how this will work, this is the worry it won't. Our owners, head of recruitment or DOF have no real outlook on the identity of this club it's quite scary.

24 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

Smacks of an appointment where a mid table finish is the height of the ambition.

Seems a dour character as well .... not sure this will go down well with the current squad.

Still got to give the bloke a chance even though the silverware he has won as a manager is minimal.

i read exactly the same when Ranieri was appointed !

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

People say we aren't a defensive team and you're right except our last attacking manager was Sven so it just shows our owners aren't that bothered what the style of football we play we are just expected to be successful.

Right now we have a squad geared up for attacking football in forwards and wingers but not in midfield. Our defence isn't as solid as you'd expect for a supposed pragmatic team so it'll be interesting to see how this will work, this is the worry it won't. Our owners, head of recruitment or DOF have no real outlook on the identity of this club it's quite scary.

Agreed.

It is risking disaster to change our system mid-season. Look what happened to Palace when De Boer came in and tried to change the way they played.

It will be Paulo Sousa all over again unless this Puel fella can be flexible.

Archived