Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Claude Puel - Contender

36 minutes ago, Mendi said:

Who cares.

If you don't agree, why are you replying...? Hmm... 

Personally think this could work well for us, at least for the next few years. He'll properly establish us as a upper-mid table side, which was the primary goal after promotion and something we've not quite managed so far, despite the title winning season. 

Whether he has what it takes to take us that next step further and into Europe remains to be seen, however. 

I was initially really underwhelmed reading that he might get the job. He looked flat as a pancake on MOTD and played negatively at Southampton, but his record is actually quite impressive when I looked into it, albeit in mostly in French football. Still would prefer Koeman, but I think he'll be looking to have a break after Everton. 

8 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

I would rather have Puel than; 

Colman

Pardew

Almyeda

Giggs

Alladyce

we're not going to get;

Tunchel

Anchelotti

Wagner

Marco Silva

we can't afford;

Pellagrini

Dyche and Lauren Blanc would be the only other avenues I'd like us to have gone down, but all in all, he's probably as good as we could get, in reality.

Good post. Even Laurent Blanc would have been difficult. I think it really is between Puel and Dyche.

14 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Dull, boring and overly defensive according to Matt Le Tissier. :( 

... and possession based.

I can't see how Vardy's style of play is going to fit into Puel's philosophy.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2010/mar/07/claude-puel-lyon-real-madrid

Worse than the results, as far as many [Lyon] fans were concerned, was Puel's brand of football, which – despite all the comparison with Wenger – was considered boring. He inherited a team with an attacking tradition and immediately made it clear that his priority, as at Lille, was hard work and defensive discipline, an unpopular method made to look foolish by regular blunders by his defenders.

I can't see many positives about this appointment right now...

3 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

... and possession based.

I can't see how Vardy's style of play is going to fit into Puel's philosophy.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2010/mar/07/claude-puel-lyon-real-madrid

Worse than the results, as far as many [Lyon] fans were concerned, was Puel's brand of football, which – despite all the comparison with Wenger – was considered boring. He inherited a team with an attacking tradition and immediately made it clear that his priority, as at Lille, was hard work and defensive discipline, an unpopular method made to look foolish by regular blunders by his defenders.

I can't see many positives about this appointment right now...

Lol, the article is 7 years old. You'd think the man has evolved a bit.

Hi huys,

I just swing by to give you an opinion on Claude Puel, as he has been Nice mananger for 4 years, and managing in France for quite a long time before that.

Regarding its reputation in France, he is regarded as one of the best French coach (along with Garcia, Wenger ou Deschamps). However, regarding its style of play, it is more confused. He was considered a good coach when he started in Lille, with an offensive style of play and more important, a very good mentor for youngster from the academy. So much that he was brought to Lyon in 2008, when the club club was at its glory apex and he brought them to the CL semi-finals. Yet, he has been very criticized in Lyon for failing to earn any silverware while the club had won the previous 7 ones.

He was sacked, went throught kind of a drought and the signed for Nice, a small club with outdated installations and a tiny budget (something like 35£, which is usual for second tier French clubs. I do remind you that the last of the PL earns 3 times what the French Champion does in tv money). There, he promoted a large amount of player from the academy (amongst whom you may know Amavi, Papy Mendy (which is doing a descent season so far)), proposed a very attractive style of play (4-4-2 in diamond), made with strong pressing to recover the ball, and then sharp passing, a lot of verticality as he likes to say, and a lot of goals. He managed to lead the club to 2 4th place in 4 years, thing that haven't been done in Nice for 40 years. So he is liked for this. However, his contract wasn't renewed because of some clashes. While he is certainly a very good technician and a very good educator for youngster, he is also very stuborn and narrow-mindid. When he makes choices, he won't change (even if it is a disaster, I recall him playing his son RB, it was a nightmare, but kept him 2 seasons until the president fired the player to avoid strong clashes with the fans. One of the reasons of his deparature is that he wanted a contract for his second son, who wasn't any better and the prez said "hell no").

So it is difficult to see what he will do here. For sure, he isn't a guy who likes to be steped on his toes, so he will keep the player straight (until they eventually all let him down if it doesn't work out). He knows how to propose an offensive football, but is he willing to do so in England ? In a club in this position ? I wouldn't risk to say (We were surprised he wasn't with Southampton while the team seemed fit for, so with LCFC). The thing is that it will difficult to balance as he won't budge from what he decided no matter what the results are, because he knows it works, but it just take time sometimes, time that Leicester hardly has.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, I'll try to answer to best of my knowledge (which is limited, let's not deny it).

4 minutes ago, EarlBeaumont said:

Hi huys,

I just swing by to give you an opinion on Claude Puel, as he has been Nice mananger for 4 years, and managing in France for quite a long time before that.

Regarding its reputation in Franc, he is regarded as one of the best French coach (along with Garcia, Wenger ou Deschamps). However, regarding its style of play, it is more confused. He was considered a good coach when he started in Lille, with an offensive style of play more important, a very good mentor for youngster from the academy. So much that he was brought to Lyon in 2008, when the club club was at its glory apex and he brought them to the CL semi-finals. Yet, he has been very criticized in Lyon for failing to earn any silverware while the club had won the previous 7 ones.

He was sacked, went throught kind of a drought and the signed for Nice, a small club with outdated installations and a tiny budget (something like 35£, which is usual for second tier French clubs. I do remind you that the last of the PL earns 3 times what the French Champion does in tv money). There, he promoted a large amount of player from the academy (amongst whom you may know Amavi, Papy Mendy (which is doing a descent season so far)), proposed a very attractive style of play (4-4-2 in diamond), made with sharp passing, a lot of verticality as he likes to say, and a lot of goals. He managed to lead the club to 2 4th place in 4 years, thing that haven't been done in Nice for 40 years. So he is liked for this. However, his contract wasn't renewed because of some clashes. While he is certainly a very good technician and a very good educator for youngster, he is also very stuborn and narrow-mindid. When he makes choices, he won't change (even if it is a disaster, I recall him playing his son RB, it was a nightmare, but kept him 2 seasons until the president fired the player to avoid strong clashes with the fans. One of the reasons of his deparature is that he wanted a contract for his second son, who wasn't any better and the prez said "hell no").

So it is difficult to see what he will do here. For sure, he isn't a guy who likes to be steped on his toes, so he will keep the player straight (until they eventually all let him down if it doesn't work out). He knows how to propose an offensive football, but is he willing to do so in England ? In a club in this position ? I wouldn't risk to say (We were surprised he wasn't with Southampton while the team seemed fit for, so with LCFC). The thing is that it will difficult to balance as he won't budge from what he decided no matter what the results are, because he knows it works, but it just take time sometimes, time that Leicester hardly has.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, I'll try to answer to best of my knowledge (which is limited, let's not deny it).

Blimey a stubborn and inflexible manager ... that's a new one for us lot (sic).

4 minutes ago, EarlBeaumont said:

Hi huys,

Regarding its reputation in Franc, he is regarded as one of the best French coach (along with Garcia, Wenger ou Deschamps). However, regarding its style of play, it is more confused. He was considered a good coach when he started in Lille, with an offensive style of play more important, a very good mentor for youngster from the academy. So much that he was brought to Lyon in 2008, when the club club was at its glory apex and he brought them to the CL semi-finals. Yet, he has been very criticized in Lyon for failing to earn any silverware while the club had won the previous 7 ones.

He was sacked, went throught kind of a drought and the signed for Nice, a small club with outdated installations and a tiny budget (something like 35£, which is usual for second tier French clubs. I do remind you that the last of the PL earns 3 times what the French Champion does in tv money). There, he promoted a large amount of player from the academy (amongst whom you may know Amavi, Papy Mendy (which is doing a descent season so far)), proposed a very attractive style of play (4-4-2 in diamond), made with sharp passing, a lot of verticality as he likes to say, and a lot of goals. He managed to lead the club to 2 4th place in 4 years, thing that haven't been done in Nice for 40 years. So he is liked for this. However, his contract wasn't renewed because of some clashes. While he is certainly a very good technician and a very good educator for youngster, he is also very stuborn and narrow-mindid. When he makes choices, he won't change (even if it is a disaster, I recall him playing his son RB, it was a nightmare, but kept him 2 seasons until the president fired the player to avoid strong clashes with the fans. One of the reasons of his deparature is that he wanted a contract for his second son, who wasn't any better and the prez said "hell no").

Thank you for that! Nice to read an informative and insightful post (they are few and far between on here lol )

i think our main worry is his apparent lack of personality (judging by brief glimpses of him on match of the day). Seems like there’s too much player power here at the moment so we need a strong character who will take no messing. Do you think he’ll manage that?

10 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Lol, the article is 7 years old. You'd think the man has evolved a bit.

OK... From a Southampton fan 7 hours ago:

Puel was a defence minded manager and set his team up not to lose  and prefered a 4-4-2 diamond formation. It was like watching England under Hodgson with a lot of slow build up and sideways/backwards passing and ended up a very boring 0-0 or the opposition would suss us out and nick a win at St Mary's. Very frustrating and Puel being stubborn would not change his style. Maybe we just didn't have the players for that style of football.

Bit more up-to-date for ya? :)

Assuming everyone is available, if he likes promoting youth, attacking full backs and a diamond, I'd expect this line up if he is appointed:

Kasper

Amartey  Morgan     Maguire   Chilwell

Iborra

Ndidi                            Silva 

Mahrez

Vardy          Okazaki

4 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

Puel was a defence minded manager and set his team up not to lose  and prefered a 4-4-2 diamond formation. It was like watching England under Hodgson with a lot of slow build up and sideways/backwards passing and ended up a very boring 0-0 or the opposition would suss us out and nick a win at St Mary's. Very frustrating and Puel being stubborn would not change his style. Maybe we just didn't have the players for that style of football.

lol

This, we do not want...

15 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

The Southampton fan didn't mention that Puel lost half of his first team (injuries, sold). The guy didn't manage only two teams in his career. Read the post from the Nice fan above. You'll learn something else :)

Truth is you have nowhere enough knowledge (as any of us) to really pass judgement about him or how he'll fit in he club (I think it's a two edged sword) but still panic (like most on here) because of the Southampton job, where he actually did good considering the bad hand he's been given, 

I prefer to wait and see. He's not even been even signed for all we know.

16 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Thank you for that! Nice to read an informative and insightful post (they are few and far between on here lol )

i think our main worry is his apparent lack of personality (judging by brief glimpses of him on match of the day). Seems like there’s too much player power here at the moment so we need a strong character who will take no messing. Do you think he’ll manage that?

It is quite funny as he has an opposite reputation in France. He looks dull as hell in interviews because he doesn't give a single sh!t about journalists and consort (thinking they don't understand nothing and it is just a waste of time for its bright intellect) and wants to be done with intervews as quickly as possible. Usually, the press gives this love back and there are few journalists to defend him.

But yeah, he has a high opinion of himslef (French and arrogant, it's a fit right ?) and has quite a strong hold on his players. You don't play the way he wants ? You're late ? You haven't a good life discipline ? You can go **** yourself, there is a youngster here to take your spot. At least, it was like this back in France. I don't know if he still behave the same in England as he doesn't speak English that well so that can be a problem. Moreover, he has this reputation in France that helps a lot, people already know him and his character, but is it the same here ? It works as long as the player buy in his method. When they quite, then it is time to change coach, and fast.

Archived