Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Claude Puel - Contender

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Ranieri's English was good enough. In fact he played the press brilliantly during his first season.

My point is that during the second he stopped communicating with the players which led to his demise. Inability to get tactical instructions over and changing the formation too often, etc. What worries me is that if bring in a coach with even worse English, it's just asking for history to repeat itself.

Do you know that for sure? Genuine question.

I don't know about the barrier language. It certainly helps a lot when you master it but there are quite a few managers who were quite successful in foreing leagues without really speaking the "native" tongue.

I think he just did what he could with Southampton's boring set of players.

442 diamond might work when Silva is here.

New RB Dragovic Maguire Fuchs/Chilwell

Iborra

Silva              Ndidi

Mahrez 

Slim/Kel       Vardy

Jesus Christ. The negativity on here.

Benitez isn't gonna leave Newcastle for Leicester. Pellegrini is unrealistic, he's very old and commands massive wages. Alladyce would be backwards, as would Dyche. Pardew would be suicide.

Puel would be a smart appointment. Done good jobs all over France and harshly sacked at Southampton. 8th with a cup final and Europa League campaign is about our level. Bare in mind he did all that after losing Mane, Wanyama, Pelle and Jose Fonte.

20 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

No, I'm not over the moon but I can't in all honesty say he's shit or bad or dull.

There are too many contradicting reports. The guy's a hard one to nail. Nice were exciting to see and you can't bring a club back in Europe for the first time since 40 years whilst being shit.

Nah, more like using anything bad against the guy to justify the bias and the knee jerk reaction. Who do you think will come here? Anything like Ancelotti, Marco Silva or Pellegrini is wishful thinking. A fan's wet dream. Dyche or Puel it is.

You're just looking at names and wondering which one you'd like best. This isn't like picking a kitten.

What's important is to pick the type of manager who will fit into the sort of club we are now. It's about getting the right match between manager and club.

Puel sounds like the sort of manager to bring in if your team is a shower-of-shit with bad influences in the dressing room, low morale, no success, no discipline, no tactics etc. He will sort it out. He will come it to a failing club, and lift them up. That's what he did with Nice by the sound of it.

He's the French Nigel Pearson.

That's not what we need right now. I'm not really concerned about having a 'big name' manager. We need the right type of manager.We have a good squad, good morale, a good style of play etc. We need a style of manager who can come in and continue our success story - like Ranieri did - not rip it up and start again.

According to the poster you said I should listen to, Puel is "stubborn and narrow-minded" and won't change his style. Great.

31 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

How come Nice badly drifted in the table the next seasons after being 4th?

Various factors.

As French clubs don't have any money, they wait until the 31st of August to recruit. Because of this, we lost the play-off of Europa League to Cyprus club APOEL Limassol which kind ok killed the spirit (Puel, to make a statement played with youngster we never saw again, and it is one of the fiercest griefs we have toward him. It actually became a sayong "to make a Limassol"). Cvitanich, our brilliant goalscorer injured himslef a took an eternity to come back at its full level (he never did actually). We also lost our very best CB which was holding the whole defense by himslef. And the recruits were just not a match. It happens.

The following year, changes were made, and the year after we finished 4 again and hired Lucien Favre (this guy is a pure genius) and he led us to 3rd place, just shy from PSG and Monaco (we were 1st at christmas break) with a brilliant Balotelli and a brilliant Seri. This season is difficult though, Sneijder not at the level whe expected, Dante being as bad as he was good last year, etc. But we'll see.

14 minutes ago, KingGTF said:

This is a disaster waiting to happen

Or, he replicates what he did at Southampton, finishes 8th and gets to a cup final....but we win it via a fluke goal off the shin of Okazaki!!! Everyone calls for a statue of Claudio and Puel arm in arm holding up the cup and league trophies!

9 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

You're just looking at names and wondering which one you'd like best. This isn't like picking a kitten.

What's important is to pick the type of manager who will fit into the sort of club we are now. It's about getting the right match between manager and club.

Puel sounds like the sort of manager to bring in if your team is a shower-of-shit with bad influences in the dressing room, low morale, no success, no discipline, no tactics etc. He will sort it out. He will come it to a failing club, and lift them up. That's what he did with Nice by the sound of it.

That's not what we need right now. I'm not really concerned about having a 'big name' manager. We need the right type of manager.We have a good squad, good morale, a good style of play etc. We need a style of manager who can come in and continue our success story - like Ranieri did - not rip it up and start again.

According to the poster you said I should listen to, Puel is "stubborn and narrow-minded" and won't change his style. Great.

I also said he is a great tactician and has a stern grip on the players. Isn't it something you're looking for ?

Saints fan here - seems like were about to have more than Big Nige and Dany N'guessan in common (only counting recent years).

Won’t repeat what others have said - just to say that our home and away play was extremely schizophrenic. We were often boring as **** at home, though we continued to create and waste plenty of chances, if you believe the stats. On the other hand. we played some scintillating stuff away from home, combining quick counterattacking play with nice crisp passing. Our performance against united in the cup final which many felt we deserved to win was Puel’s philosophy at its peak.

Another factor to consider is that we had to juggle the league season, European football and progress in the cups - Puel rotated aggressively which made it difficult to build any kind of chemistry in the side. You can debate the pros and cons of rotation (I think he overdid things); what you can’t debate is that the season was a grind and effectively over after the cup final.

Puel had a reputation for being stubborn -and rumours are that he literally came to blows with some of the senior pros like Fonte and Bertrand. Language and communication were also a struggle. His dour appearance, on the other hand, masked a real competitive and passionate side in training.

Moreover, he should be credited for bringing through some of our youngsters, in particular, Jack Stephens, a centre back who, up to that point, had been an afterthought and part of an Academy that’s going through a barren spell in producing talent. Throwing him into the second leg of a semi-final at Anfield (after a dirty, sneaky challenge by Vardy ended Van Dijk’s season ;) ) took courage and Stephens repaid that faith for the rest of the season with some polished performances.

The arrival of Pellegrino has put Puel’s spell in perspective. If anything we look even more pedestrian under the new manager which begs the question whether the issue is the squad rather than the management. 

The reality is that we have very one-dimensional players in midfield, though Lemina is a breath of fresh air. Redmond is basically the same raw player he was at Norwich; Tadic has a tendency to sulk and go missing; Davis is in the twilight of his career; Boufal remains a x-factor but doesn’t have the manager’s trust; Gabbiadni is class but all too often isolated; Shane Long is a decent athlete but is stealing a living as a footballer; and Charlie Austin, when he’s not injured, offers little in terms of overall play.

All which to say is that goals are not in our DNA. In many respects, you have superior options up top which would give Puel more to work with.  The big unknown is how far his more technical style would transfer to your more direct style. My understanding is that one of the reasons for Ranieri’s failure in his second season is that he tried to introduce a similar change...

17 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

Not really. Puel is certainly not my first choice but it doesn't look like we have many options

Full agree on that.

That'd be a great start to build something. He's bit more tactically astute than Nigel Pearson and won a bit more than him, so there's that.

We indeed have a good squad and a good morale but hell if I know which style we actually have.

The success story is over and that ship has sailed. Everything went down the drain after the transfer window in summer 2016. We're not attractive anymore, the good coaches and players won't touch us with a barge pole, our best ones are either gone or want to go and we have to rebuild from the ground.

So was Ranieri. Most of the managers are. They believe in what they do. When it doesn't pay off they get the sack.

Then give me a name.

He's not an exciting choice, and my natural response is a bit 'meh' but I am interested to see his approach.

The negative football with Southampton is concerning but lets not pretend we're Manchester City. We have played dull football on the most part for a while now, going back to the second half of the title winning season. We have our moments but generally the counter attacking style has grown to be dull and predictable, we need a change of sorts whilst still keeping elements of the fast attacking play. I didn't watch Southampton too much last year but I think the comparisons to Pulis are unfair.

Probably just me but I'll be happy with a couple of 'boring' seasons with mid-table finishes and no threat of relegation or managerial chaos. Its good to be ambitious but it's important not to expect top 6 finishes.

13 minutes ago, EarlBeaumont said:

Various factors.

As French clubs don't have any money, they wait until the 31st of August to recruit. Because of this, we lost the play-off of Europa League to Cyprus Club APOEL Limassol which kind ok killed the spirit (Puel, to make a statement played with youngster we never saw again, and it is one of the firecest griefs we have toward him. It actually became a sayong "to make a Limassol"). Cvitanich, our brilliant goalscorrer injured himslef a took an eternity to comeback at its full level (he never did actually). We also lost our very best CB which holding the whole defense by himslef. And the recruits were just not a match. It happens.

The following year, changes were made, and the year after we finished 4 again and hired Lucien Favre (this guy is a pure genius) and he led us to 3rd place, just shy from PSG and Monaco (we were 1st at christmas break) with a brilliant Balotelli and a brilliant Seri. This season is difficult though, Sneijder not at the level whe expected, Dante being as bad as he was good last year, etc. But we'll see.

Ha, that's why you lost to them. It certainly sucks, but that's quite the statement.

Favre is a cracking signing, would have loved to see him here. Sneijder spent quite some time in the turkish league and I think Dante is past his best. It seems you won't expect a lot from this season then.

3 hours ago, hackenbacker said:

From Wiki

just saying...... I make no opinion..... everyone should be given a chance to prove themselves :)

"Puel was particularly criticised for his defensive tactics, with Southampton's scoring record one of the poorest in the league"

Team From To Record        
      G W D L Win %
Monaco 13-Jan-99 30-Jun-01 91 44 16 31 48.35
Lille 1-Jul-02 17-Jun-08 298 119 94 85 39.93
Lyon 18-Jun-08 20-Jun-11 154 74 44 36 48.05
Nice 23-May-12 24-May-16 167 68 37 62 40.72
Southampton 30-Jun-16 14-Jun-17 53 20 13 20 37.74
Total     763 325 204 234

Won more than he's lost with every team he's managed bar Southampton (which was his first season outside France) and who still punched above their weight in terms of league position under him (despite losing a host of core players like Mane). They were also very unlucky not to win the league cup final. That's not a bad starting point.

If his teams don't score many, they obviously don't concede many either and we require stability right now.

If he comes, hopefully he will provide that stability.

8 minutes ago, EarlBeaumont said:

I also said he is a great tactician and has a stern grip on the players. Isn't it something you're looking for ?

Not if his preferred tactics don't suit the sort of players who I know we have at the club. I don't want a manager who is playing a style he doesn't believe in, nor do I want players playing a style that doesn't suit them. It seems one of these two things will happen with Puel in charge.

And these players don't need a 'stern grip'. They have a great team spirit, are motivated and committed to the club. They need somebody who will inspire them, not treat them like kids. We've gone past the stage of needing a disciplianarian. It could have a negative effect on these players.

14 minutes ago, EarlBeaumont said:

Isn't there a saying in french like "if you want to kill your dog you say it's rabbid?"

I really want this to work but my gut instinct is that this will be dull and mediocre AT BEST. At worst it feels like there's potential for awful football, squad disharmony, a relegation battle and our best players wanting out. 

Hopefully im well wide of the mark!!!

19 minutes ago, ALWAYS_SFC said:

Saints fan here - seems like were about to have more than Big Nige and Dany N'guessan in common (only counting recent years).

Won’t repeat what others have said - just to say that our home and away play was extremely schizophrenic. We were often boring as **** at home, though we continued to create and waste plenty of chances, if you believe the stats. On the other hand. we played some scintillating stuff away from home, combining quick counterattacking play with nice crisp passing. Our performance against united in the cup final which many felt we deserved to win was Puel’s philosophy at its peak.

Another factor to consider is that we had to juggle the league season, European football and progress in the cups - Puel rotated aggressively which made it difficult to build cohesion and understanding in the side. You can debate the pros and cons of rotation (I think he overdid things); what you can’t debate is that the season was a grind and effectively over after the cup final.

Puel had a reputation for being stubborn -and rumours are that he literally came to blows with some of the senior pros like Fonte and Bertrand. Language and communication were also a struggle. His dour appearance, on the other hand, masked a real competitive and passionate side in training.

Moreover, he should be credited for bringing through some of our youngsters, in particular, Jack Stephens, a centre back who, up to that point, had been an afterthought and part of an Academy that’s going through a barren spell in producing talent. Throwing him into the second leg of a semi-final at Anfield (after a dirty, sneaky challenge by Vardy ended Van Dijk’s season ;) ) took courage and Stephens repaid that faith for the rest of the season with some polished performances.

The arrival of Pellegrino has put Puel’s spell in perspective. If anything we look even more pedestrian under the new manager which begs the question whether the issue is the squad rather than the management.

The reality is that we have very one-dimensional players in midfield, though Lemina is a breath of fresh air. Redmond is basically the same raw player he was at Norwich; Tadic has a tendency to sulk and go missing; Davis is in the twilight of his career; Boufal remains a x-factor but doesn’t have the manager’s trust; Gabbiadni is class but all too often isolated; Shane Long is a decent athlete but is stealing a living as a footballer; and Charlie Austin, when he’s not injured, offers little in terms of overall play.

All which to say is that goals are not in our DNA. In many respects, you have superior options up top which would give Puel more to work with.  The big unknown is how far his more technical style would transfer to your more direct style. My understanding is that one of the reasons for Ranieri’s failure in his second season is that he tried to introduce a similar change...

Thanks for this input. Weird about the differences in style home and away. Maybe he didn't know how to play against packed defences?

Looking at your team you do have the players - Lemina, Redmond and Tadic should be creating lots of chances with Romeu and Davis behind them and Gabbadiani up front, that's a good team. Not sure why you're not firing.

He took over Nice and they were a mid table team. His first season they finished top 4, his second season they nearly got relegated, third season they finished mid table and his fourth and final season they finished in the top 4 again. Suits us with our rollercoaster style. 

16 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

Not if his preferred tactics don't suit the sort of players who I know we have at the club. I don't want a manager who is playing a style he doesn't believe in, nor do I want players playing a style that doesn't suit them. It seems one of these two things will happen with Puel in charge.

And these players don't need a 'stern grip'. They have a great team spirit, are motivated and committed to the club. They need somebody who will inspire them, not treat them like kids. We've gone past the stage of needing a disciplianarian. It could have a negative effect on these players.

Well, I just can't say if some tactic is valid or not for the team, as I don't know too well Leicester team.

What I can tell you is that he knows how to play quite nicely with a 4-4-2 diamond formation, and that if players buy in, it can be very nice. If Leicester players can't, however, it is an error to appoint him. However, I guess this has been discussed over and over with the owners and that they hire him in full knowledge of this.

I'm not sur he'll treat them like kids, he knows how to inspire people. Hell, he resuscitated Ben Arfa from the dead to make him the most brilliant player I've seen in Nice since my birth. He certainly is a stern guy with high expectations, but nothing inhuman. A bit like a father with high expectations for his sons from back in the days, appearing cold and harsh, but with a genuine love for them and a source of inspiration.

I really can't say how he'll be doing. I'll just give him a chance as it can be real good.

15 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

Isn't there a saying in french like "if you want to kill your dog you say it's rabbid?"

Indeed we have ^^

58 minutes ago, Simi said:

I must've missed the part where Southampton have turned into a free scoring attacking dynasty this season.

Southampton - Played 9, scored 8, conceded 9.

Perhaps they have ongoing problems? I'm not ecstatic about this appointment, but it's harsh to right him off based on time at Saints.

Good sensible post.

Archived