Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Claude Puel - Contender

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

A lot of people are always saying how great Les Reed is as a director of football, how great he is at spotting managers etc. And he thought Puel was worth bringing in!

He also saw fit to sack him after what on the surface looked like a good season, that's far more telling.

Just now, Babylon said:

Yeah only on here do people look at multiple negative reports on him and wonder if it might be a negative appointment.

You can have all the multiple negative reports you want, but until he's our manager and we've seen him first hand, i think it's harsh to be "slagging him off"

We sold players before. The strategy is to sell when we are offered a deal beyond the market value of that player and then use the money to buy a couple of replacements. A few years ago, we had a championship bench. Now we have internationals. The overall standard of the squad went up paid for by a couple of sales. 

And yes one of the big issues was that he didn't connect with the fans. Had he been playing attractive football (didn't have to win every game) then ok, but coupled with the dour tactics it did play a big part. 

Aren't all football fans basically the same? Do you think Leicester fans would have reacted differently? If yes then fair enough. I'm just saying how it was with us.  

Again..decent guy and may well be great for you. 

3 hours ago, LJGrant said:

From SaintsWeb:

Look at our home prem games since christmas (Score. Shots. Chances created)
Saints 1-4 Spurs. Shots 9-17. Chances 6-10.
Saints 1-2 WBA. Shots 10-7. Chances 7-4.
Saints 3-0 Leicester. Shots 20-11. Chances 13-7.
Saints 1-3 West Ham. Shots 22-6. Chances 13-4.
Saints 0-0 Bournemouth. Shots 14-12. Chances 11-5.
Saints 3-1 Palace. Shots 25-17. Chances 17-13.
Saints 0-3 Man City. Shots 8-18. Chances 5-10.
Saints 0-0 Hull. Shots 11-9. Chances 4-7.
Saints 0-2 Arsenal. Shots 14-11. Chances 11-9.
Saints 0-0 Man Utd. Shots 17-11. Chances 10-7.
Saints 0-1 Stoke. Shots 15-14. Chances 8-12.

The only teams that took more shots than us were Spurs and ManCity. So for all the "boring negative football" we were playing, other teams were usually sitting back even more making it harder for us to score.
Saints: 165 shots. 105 chances. 9 goals.
1 goal per 18.3 shots/11.7 chances

Opponents: 133 shots. 88 chances. 16 goals.
1 goal per 8.3 shots/5.5 chances

Our last 11 games under Puel only had 1 bottom 6 team so there weren't many "Easy wins". We played 2nd/3rd/5th/6th/9th/10th/11th/12th/13th/14th/18th.

Our football wasn't anywhere near as boring as the scorelines suggested. Our attacking players just sucked at taking chances and only Spurs, Palace and City attacked us properly with the rest sitting back a lot.

This why I'm quietly optimistic about Puel because we have better fowards than Southampton. We just lack creativity. If you added Saints creative midfield with our foward players that would be a potent team.

9 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Weren't quite a few here worried that Ranieri would subject us to the negative Italian way? Managers adapt to what squads they're given, his side at Nice played some quality football

Which ultimately he did as we got more and more boring as each games passed by.

3 hours ago, LJGrant said:

From SaintsWeb:

Look at our home prem games since christmas (Score. Shots. Chances created)
Saints 1-4 Spurs. Shots 9-17. Chances 6-10.
Saints 1-2 WBA. Shots 10-7. Chances 7-4.
Saints 3-0 Leicester. Shots 20-11. Chances 13-7.
Saints 1-3 West Ham. Shots 22-6. Chances 13-4.
Saints 0-0 Bournemouth. Shots 14-12. Chances 11-5.
Saints 3-1 Palace. Shots 25-17. Chances 17-13.
Saints 0-3 Man City. Shots 8-18. Chances 5-10.
Saints 0-0 Hull. Shots 11-9. Chances 4-7.
Saints 0-2 Arsenal. Shots 14-11. Chances 11-9.
Saints 0-0 Man Utd. Shots 17-11. Chances 10-7.
Saints 0-1 Stoke. Shots 15-14. Chances 8-12.

The only teams that took more shots than us were Spurs and ManCity. So for all the "boring negative football" we were playing, other teams were usually sitting back even more making it harder for us to score.
Saints: 165 shots. 105 chances. 9 goals.
1 goal per 18.3 shots/11.7 chances

Opponents: 133 shots. 88 chances. 16 goals.
1 goal per 8.3 shots/5.5 chances

Our last 11 games under Puel only had 1 bottom 6 team so there weren't many "Easy wins". We played 2nd/3rd/5th/6th/9th/10th/11th/12th/13th/14th/18th.

Our football wasn't anywhere near as boring as the scorelines suggested. Our attacking players just sucked at taking chances and only Spurs, Palace and City attacked us properly with the rest sitting back a lot.

Interesting, cheers.

Were you taking a lot of shots from distance due to not being able to get behind teams?

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Fair play to all the Saints fans for their input on this thread proving that they’re a decent bunch of supporters :appl:

Seconded, would be very easy for them to forget the detail and just say "he's shit". I feel mildly more optimistic having seen thing a bit more in depth.

I think its fair to say the general consensus is very mixed, possibly more negative than positive.

However, there's definitely worse managers out there and I, for one, will get right behind this guy and give him a chance.

The negativity when Ranieri took over was crazy and look what happened there. You just never know as every club is different but his CV is decent for sure and despite his 'negative' football at Southampton, they still finished 8th and nearly won the league cup, something we'd take at this stage!

Hey I get it. You are right to give him a chance, and you do have a different make up in your squad than we do. He might well do very well and good luck to him. He always acted in an honourable way and sent a nice message to the fans when he left. Lots of us would like to see him do well. 

I just wanted to give you a little insight into the issues. If you had said 8th and a cup final at the start of the season I would have been delighted too, but in reality it didn't feel like that when it happened. 

Anyway, good luck to you whoever you get. 

33 minutes ago, Tuna said:

He obviously Impressed Southampton enough to be named their manager, and they were obviously so unimpressed by their season and him they couldn't wait to dismiss him after the end of the season. Not really sure what to make of it. 

Confused bud

seems a very very uninspiring choice at best

When every manager we are linked to can't wait to distance themselves from us, it looks like Puel is the only person willing to take the job on (bar Pardew). This settles the "who is the more attractive club, us or Everton" debate. Can't see him being here for too long but anyway i was wrong on Ranieiri, so i'm just going to sit back and enjoy the rollercoaster that is LCFC. 

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Seconded, would be very easy for them to forget the detail and just say "he's shit". I feel mildly more optimistic having seen thing a bit more in depth.

Yeah me too. I certainly feel more informed and slightly more positive than a few days ago.

I think it's great that Saints fans can come on here and make such balanced and non emotive posts without an agenda or being on the wind up - quite refreshing actually.

Maybe they're just more intelligent down on the south coast :)

Archived