Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Claude Puel - Contender

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

A lot of people are always saying how great Les Reed is as a director of football, how great he is at spotting managers etc. And he thought Puel was worth bringing in!

Well, Pochettino plays a narrow midfield with attacking fullbacks, as did Koeman I think. So it would make sense to recruit a manager with a similar playing style to suit the squad that had been built up over the years at Southampton.

If we played that way too, then Puel would be a great choice as manager.

But we don't. So he's not.

15 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Interesting, cheers.

Were you taking a lot of shots from distance due to not being able to get behind teams?

Actually I’m a Leicester fan and long time FoxesTalk member, albeit a very quiet one. I just stole this from the SaintsWeb forum. 

The chances statistic is probably more meaningful than the shots count, but it is the same conclusion either way. 

8 minutes ago, SonicBoom said:

Hey I get it. You are right to give him a chance, and you do have a different make up in your squad than we do. He might well do very well and good luck to him. He always acted in an honourable way and sent a nice message to the fans when he left. Lots of us would like to see him do well. 

I just wanted to give you a little insight into the issues. If you had said 8th and a cup final at the start of the season I would have been delighted too, but in reality it didn't feel like that when it happened. 

Anyway, good luck to you whoever you get. 

Thanks a lot for your input. We're definitely wiser than this morning. If we don't get Ancelotti I'll welcome him warmly.

7 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

Thing is, when it clicks it clicks, Koeman used to look good, now he’s bad and before us Ranieri was bad, then good with us and now bad again. Who knows.

Claudio is doing an excellent job in France. Nantes hasn't lost a match since August, I believe.

1 minute ago, LJGrant said:

Actually I’m a Leicester fan and long time FoxesTalk member, albeit a very quiet one. I just stole this from the SaintsWeb forum. 

The chances statistic is probably more meaningful than the shots count, but it is the same conclusion either way. 

5 posts.... very very quiet!!! :D

I think it's a good thing that Appleton will stay, he's added some nice stuff in the last two games.

Puel isn't attached to an assistant, just his coaches. He had Eric Black as AM at Saints so no preference to a friend or fellow countryman.

Oh godddddddd, Let's make this clear. 

He will get us in the top 10, no doubt about that in my mind. 

But that football, YUCK, I'm just praying to god that southampton was a one off, a friend of mine moved to france when he was younger, said Lyon were pretty exciting under Puel, so i'm hoping he was just making the best of his squad. 

I'd be happy with the appointment, but I'd prefer someone with a bit more flare based on what I saw with southampton. 

13 minutes ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

I think its fair to say the general consensus is very mixed, possibly more negative than positive.

However, there's definitely worse managers out there and I, for one, will get right behind this guy and give him a chance.

The negativity when Ranieri took over was crazy and look what happened there. You just never know as every club is different but his CV is decent for sure and despite his 'negative' football at Southampton, they still finished 8th and nearly won the league cup, something we'd take at this stage!

Our reserve side is in the quarter finals & Southampton are an established 'top 8' team is it an achievement to secure your lowest position for a few seasons and 17pts lower than the season before... and to piss off the fans & probably the players with being uninspiring & dour

Was initially uninspired and underwhelmed by this news. 

After seeing what others have said and looking at what he did pre-saints, then it might turn out to be a decent appointment. 

Thank fvck Woy is in a job, Allardyce ruled himself out and Pardew...well...anyway, it could have been worse. 

Feeling a bit happier about the team in general after the last couple of weeks, so let's get him in and get going

Anyone worried about his English, this is when he first joined Saints. Seems good enough to me, probably better than Ranieri actually. I was expecting Paulo Sousa levels of English, where I couldn't understand a word he said.

So just to clarify, he done well at Lille, he done okay at Lyon, decent at Nice, Solid at southampton, 

He made Eden Hazard the player he was when he moved to Chelsea, and he turned Hatem Ben Arfa round at Nice. 

I've gone from meh to content in a few minutes, amazing what FT can do to you. 

4 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

If the Wikipedia data is to be believed, he finished 2nd in Ligue 1 with Lille in 2005, won the Intertoto Cup with them in 2004 and took them past the group stage of the CL in 2007.

But dragged Nice from 4th to one place above the drop in a single season and spectacularly failed at Lyon after they had won it 7 years on the bounce, not even coming close to a title. Won the title with a very good Monaco side 1st season, 2nd he finished 11th.

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Anyone worried about his English, this is when he first joined Saints. Seems good enough to me, probably better than Ranieri actually. I was expecting Paulo Sousa levels of English, where I couldn't understand a word he said.

Looks like he's just come from a funeral.

Archived