Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Claude Puel - Contender

2 minutes ago, stevelcfc said:

But dragged Nice from 4th to one place above the drop in a single season and spectacularly failed at Lyon after they had won it 7 years on the bounce, not even coming close to a title.  

There is a nice post from a Nice fan in this thread, as to why they became shit.

Just now, cityfanlee23 said:

Claude Puel made Eden Hazard at Lille, 

Eden Hazard scored the premier league title winning goal for Leicester.... Sold.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Eden Hazard would probably have done OK for himself even without Puel's influence! :D

4 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

Well, Pochettino plays a narrow midfield with attacking fullbacks, as did Koeman I think. So it would make sense to recruit a manager with a similar playing style to suit the squad that had been built up over the years at Southampton.

If we played that way too, then Puel would be a great choice as manager.

But we don't. So he's not.

I think you're coming at this in an inverted manner. Any manager worth their salt will impose his philosophy upon the team and if that happens to differ than the current then so be it. That is to say that we have a philosophy of course, which IMO we don't or we did but that on the whole has evaporated since winning the title. Our squad should be more than capable enough to adapt to different systems, in fact most of them have previously played in complately different systems. I think now is exactly the right time to make change.

15 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Oh godddddddd, Let's make this clear. 

He will get us in the top 10, no doubt about that in my mind. 

But that football, YUCK, I'm just praying to god that southampton was a one off, a friend of mine moved to france when he was younger, said Lyon were pretty exciting under Puel, so i'm hoping he was just making the best of his squad. 

I'd be happy with the appointment, but I'd prefer someone with a bit more flare based on what I saw with southampton. 

We'd have seen a very different Southampton under Puel if he'd have worked with the same squad that Koeman had the previous season.

Puel with Appleton as Assistant. Pretty happy with that.

Just now, Stan said:

We'd seen a very different Southampton under Puel if he'd have worked with the same squad that Koeman had the previous season.

Puel with Appleton as Assistant. Pretty happy with that.

Yeah, I feel like he was just playing with what he had. 

His previous have never struck me as "negative" Lille, Lyon, Nice all played attacking football.

Let's not kid ourselves here, I am all for giving him a chance as I think he probably warrants one as he's not some lunatic way out of his depth. However, we can be as positive or as in denial as we like but if he struggles to engage with the fans, plays very negative football that doesn't get results and fails to inspire the players then he'll be gone very quickly. We can dress it up however we like but we don't suffer fools here, and if any of the above is likely and he's stubborn enough to not be flexible and change then it'll be a strange appointment and a waste of time which will be a further nail in Rudkin's coffin.

We are caught between needing a strong leader to take back the power gained by our title winning squad and cut misplaced loyalty to players who no longer are good enough but at the same time we need a manager to get the best out of our players and motivate and inspire them as there is some serious talent amongst it. It's a very delicate situation at Leicester and I think time is needed or a very brave and ruthless regime and I'm not sure time will be afforded or a regime of such nature accepted so it appears to me it's likely to end in failure anyway.

7 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Some French football expert on Talksport with H&J in a minute talking about Puel.

Might be worth a listen..

Well whoever he was he was absolutely raving about Puel.

I’m easily swayed lol

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Let's not kid ourselves here, I am all for giving him a chance as I think he probably warrants one as he's not some lunatic way out of his depth. However, we can be as positive or as in denial as we like but if he struggles to engage with the fans, plays very negative football that doesn't get results and fails to inspire the players then he'll be gone very quickly. We can dress it up however we like but we don't suffer fools here, and if any of the above is likely and he's stubborn enough to not be flexible and change then it'll be a strange appointment and a waste of time which will be a further nail in Rudkin's coffin. 

We are caught between needing a strong leader to take back the power gained by our title winning squad and cut misplaced loyalty to players who no longer are good enough but at the same time we need a manager to get the best out of our players and motivate and inspire them as there is some serious talent amongst it. It's a very delicate situation at Leicester and I think time is needed or a very brave and ruthless regime and I'm not sure time will be afforded or a regime of such nature accepted so it appears to me it's likely to end in failure anyway.

Worth considering then :D

I can't get excited but that's only because I've seen enough managers who were supposedly brilliant go to clubs and do shite all, and then Ranieri came to us and loads of people went on about Greece as definitive proof of his ineptitude and he wins the league.

The past only contains the vaguest of clues to the future, I find

33 minutes ago, sm1 said:

When every manager we are linked to can't wait to distance themselves from us, it looks like Puel is the only person willing to take the job on (bar Pardew). This settles the "who is the more attractive club, us or Everton" debate. Can't see him being here for too long but anyway i was wrong on Ranieiri, so i'm just going to sit back and enjoy the rollercoaster that is LCFC. 

Me too.  I thought that was a very uninspiring appointment and we all know what happened next.

Can't help feeling dismayed by Puel.  I have read one Saints supporter describing his kind of football as "like water torture."

I hope I'm wrong.

Again.

4 minutes ago, psychonaut said:

I think you're coming at this in an inverted manner. Any manager worth their salt will impose his philosophy upon the team and if that happens to differ than the current then so be it. That is to say that we have a philosophy of course, which IMO we don't or we did but that on the whole has evaporated since winning the title. Our squad should be more than capable enough to adapt to different systems, in fact most of them have previously played in complately different systems. I think now is exactly the right time to make change.

I don't think I am inverted. I am very much the right way round.

Fair enough though, if you think we need a big make-over then so be it. It worked wonders for Palace.

Can't wait to see Danny Simpson on the overlap, beating his man and whipping the ball in! N'didi playing ticka-tacka in the diamond. Vardy coming short to link up with Amartey's through pass. It will be like watching blamange trying to ride a bicycle.

I think the words of Taylor Swift are particularly apposite right now:

"Don't say I didn't , say I didn't, warn ya"

1 minute ago, Fox Ulike said:

I don't think I am inverted. I am very much the right way round.

Fair enough though, if you think we need a big make-over then so be it. It worked wonders for Palace.

Can't wait to see Danny Simpson on the overlap, beating his man and whipping the ball in! N'didi playing ticka-tacka in the diamond. Vardy coming short to link up with Amartey's through pass. It will be like watching blamange trying to ride a bicycle.

I think the words of Taylor Swift are particularly apposite right now:

"Don't say I didn't , say I didn't, warn ya"

I really hate that song and in particular that line is odious. Fyi.

32 minutes ago, cc_star said:

Our reserve side is in the quarter finals & Southampton are an established 'top 8' team is it an achievement to secure your lowest position for a few seasons and 17pts lower than the season before... and to piss off the fans & probably the players with being uninspiring & dour

Some reasonable points but how many years has it been since we got to the last 8.....

Your writing him off before he's even appointed... same as we all did with Claudio.....

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yep pretty much this

Archived