Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

The Claude Puel Era - what will he bring?

5 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

I think there form dropped towards the end of the season before the cup final obviously they had another priority they weren’t really playing for anything in the league they weren’t going to go down or get in the top 6

And we didn't exactly roar for the finishing line ourselves either.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

49 points a 10th place finish and a league cup winners medal! 

I'd settle for that.

Then, 2018-19: Europa League winners, FA Cup winners and escape from relegation on the last day (distracted by cup adventures).

2019-20: Losing finalists in Champions League, having qualified via Europa League, 4th in Premier League, out of domestic cups early

2020-21: Champions League winners

So, you've got the 4-year plan, Claude... Crack on, man, crack on! :thumbup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DatfoxesKid23 said:

We with the money we have could have had dyche or wagner even ancelotti . Claude Puel regardless of his performance in the upcoming matches was the cheapest option someone has potentially fvcked us over here.

It’s a poor short term fix the owners have gone for and barring a miracle it will not work sadly

hope I’m wrong

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'd settle for that.

Then, 2018-19: Europa League winners, FA Cup winners and escape from relegation on the last day (distracted by cup adventures).

2019-20: Losing finalists in Champions League, having qualified via Europa League, 4th in Premier League, out of domestic cups early

2020-21: Champions League winners

So, you've got the 4-year plan, Claude... Crack on, man, crack on! :thumbup:

Darn it.....we'll have to do without the CL winners trophy, he's only got a 3 year contract

Just now, norwichfox said:

Darn it.....we'll have to do without the CL winners trophy, he's only got a 3 year contract

If he's won the League Cup, Europa League and FA Cup, then reached the final of the Champions League, we might just offer him an extension. :D

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

If he's won the League Cup, Europa League and FA Cup, then reached the final of the Champions League, we might just offer him an extension. :D

Nah, the players will get a new car each (Citroën C1) and Claude will ride off into the Sunset as we appoint Nige for another exciting duel with relegation after losing in the CL final to him the previous year.

• Like 1

Not feeling excited by the new manager, don’t know a lot about him, and lots of negative comments about him and his boring tactics, which does concern me.

I have come to the conclusion that the only option we have is to back him, and see what he’s like for ourselves, different players here, I don’t know, did he have players at Southampton to play exciting football.

I did read somewhere he was hard done to at Southampton, and stabbed in the back by the director of football, does he expect any different here lol 

Only time will tell, I hope he gets rid of a few of the first team, I hope he gets a balance between being boring, and exciting football, I hope he can convince mahrez to stay, as we are seriously short of creativity.

Other than that fingers crossed he’s good for us, and end this ****ing shambles of changing managers, 3 in a year is enough.

Will he do what Claudio did at first where he just sits back and watches everything at first to get to know the players and staff and then change things once he has got a sense of things! we may get that new manager bump at first because obviously the players will be out to impress. it's the few months in that is really going to count. can he get his ideas across to the players in a way that they will respond permanently and can he impose a system that will work no matter what the personnel is!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MrLuke said:

Interestingly, this Guardian article from earlier on last season paints Puel in an entirely different light. Admittedly they finished poorly and also weren’t scoring, but they did seem to have a number of injuries. I get the impression he’d prefer to play daring attacking football, but knows the result is more important, and if you don’t have the resources to go all out attack, at least make sure you’re not conceding.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/oct/22/sounthampton-claude-puel-manchester-city

That article makes me think Albrighton will be converted into a right back. It won't be the first time he's got midfielders to play there, it could be the making of Albrighton as he has already got a lot of the tools to play an attacking full back one of which is stamina which you can't teach.

• Like 2

Ok - Puel wouldn't have been at the top of my list, but he is here now.  Having read lots of posts, comments and related articles over the last couple of days, two things stand out for me:

- Southampton's defensive record was quite good last season - 48 goals conceded (better than everyone else bar Everton on 44 and the top 6)

- Southampton created lots of chances (see 80's Fox's clip on another post) - it was their finishing that let them down

If Puel can stop us conceding many of the silly goals we have this season ( and last), and if he can get us to create those chances AND convert them.................  who knows.  Are our current goals scorers better than those Southampton had last year?  

Time will tell no doubt!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DatfoxesKid23 said:

in the premier league his win percentage is 12 wins in 38 which is 32%

Dyche 21 wins in 85 matches which is 24%

david wagner 3 wins in 9 matches 33%

rafa benetiez 148 wins in 273 matches 54%

ancelotti 48 wins in 76 matches 63%

bare in mind that hudersfield town and burneley are weaker sides than claude puel's southampton was.

Lets stop looking at what he did at Southampton, it was a one off season after losing their manager and 3 of their best players, Mane, Wanyama and Pelle, also losing Fonte in January. They had a Europa league campaign to contend with and some major sick notes up front Austin and Rodrigues. Despite all that he did pretty well results wise, even if he lost the dressing room and his job in the end.

He has obviously impressed the owners with his plans and hopefully will get a rapport with the players, or he will play the bad cop to Appleton's good cop, he has experience in the PL and in managing a number of big French sides with a few European campaigns under his belt. We should also be thankful that it has been resolved relatively quicklyand not dragged on causing further disruption to our season.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Gerard said:

That article makes me think Albrighton will be converted into a right back. It won't be the first time he's got midfielders to play there, it could be the making of Albrighton as he has already got a lot of the tools to play an attacking full back one of which is stamina which you can't teach.

I'd like to see someone else in his position to be honest. Had enough of the hoofs into space without looking and crosses with his head down, the lad's a machine but he's not got the composure or passing ability that we need

Just now, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I'd like to see someone else in his position to be honest. Had enough of the hoofs into space without looking and crosses with his head down, the lad's a machine but he's not got the composure or passing ability that we need

He's one of the main reasons we're such a low possession team. As an attacking full back though there are a lot of assets he has to excel in that position. He can get up and down the pitch all day long and puts in a fantastic cross. If he can learn the defensive side of the game better for that position it could be the making of him.

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

He's one of the main reasons we're such a low possession team. As an attacking full back though there are a lot of assets he has to excel in that position. He can get up and down the pitch all day long and puts in a fantastic cross. If he can learn the defensive side of the game better for that position it could be the making of him.

Agree with all of this

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

To his credit, Albrighton at RWB was one of the reasons the 352 Great Escape worked so well, he was like a man possessed.

I still can't understand why Nigel barely played him in the first half of 14-15. It's not like he has a bad attitude.

11 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Lets stop looking at what he did at Southampton, it was a one off season after losing their manager and 3 of their best players, Mane, Wanyama and Pelle, also losing Fonte in January. They had a Europa league campaign to contend with and some major sick notes up front Austin and Rodrigues. Despite all that he did pretty well results wise, even if he lost the dressing room and his job in the end.

He has obviously impressed the owners with his plans and hopefully will get a rapport with the players, or he will play the bad cop to Appleton's good cop, he has experience in the PL and in managing a number of big French sides with a few European campaigns under his belt. We should also be thankful that it has been resolved relatively quicklyand not dragged on causing further disruption to our season.

It seems to be the end of the season that Saints fans moaned about boring tactics etc. In addition to losing better players they also lost their best defender,Van Dijk, to injury.

I agree it is important this has been resolved promptly, avoiding further disruption to our season. A positive reaction from the players to build on the last two results is now required.

Puel will have done his homework before interview but he will now be able to assess the squad first hand with time before the January window opens.

2 hours ago, TrentFox said:

Disharmony. According to my contact. Players didn’t like him or his training methods. Cold and distant seems to be their verdict. Is he going to appease a disgruntled Vardy? We’ll see. Maybe keeping Appleton is a good move. Asssuming the players like him

and find him amenable. They certainly seem

to have played for him

these last two fixtures. 

give it a rest its only been 5, mins

and IF the players are unhappy already, they need some disciplining rather than this mollycuddled treatment which they've received over the last 2 years

they of all people need to give the guy a chance, instead of regressing to their brattish ways

55 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I thought this also. I think Pied who he bought from Nice was originally a winger converted to right back. Have wondered for a while if Albrighton is worth a go there.

It would be insanity to play a diamond with Simpson as a full-back. Ranieri did that, ironically against Southampton last year, and it was the disaster we expected.

I'm no fan of the diamond but maybe he'd get it working with Chilwell and Albrighton. Who knows.

• Like 1