Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

The Claude Puel Era - what will he bring?

5 minutes ago, SonicBoom said:

Saints fan here. 

It's going to be really interesting to see how he does. 

When he arrived at Saints he immediately switched us to playing a midfield "diamond".  Long story short it didn't work for us and after a few months it was quietly shelved. 

I'm intrigued as to what he will do with you guys. He does love possession and you have been known as a team that is not concerned with possession but will defend and then hit fast and effectively on the break (maybe to bring the best from Vardy?). 

Will he change your game completely, stick with what you are doing - or try to evolve to more possession-based over a period of time? Only time will tell. 

When he arrived post Koeman I expected him to stick with what was broadly successful but he certainly didn't shy away from changing our formation from day one. There was a lot of questions about why he would change something that was working and the players were comfortable with, but he said that with Europe etc to consider, he didn't want a pressing style that we would struggle to maintain over a season. Good thinking I suppose, but it didn't really work. 

Anyway we'll watch with interest to see how he approaches Leicester. i was a little negative yesterday but on the plus side he will steady the ship and move you up the table. Also he may well have done things in a certain way here due to the players at his disposal. So with a different squad of players we may well see a different side of him. No reason why not. 

We're short in midfield and don't have the most attacking full backs. Playing a diamond with this squad would be suicide.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, polarbear said:

give it a rest its only been 5, mins

and IF the players are unhappy already, they need some disciplining rather than this mollycuddled treatment which they've received over the last 2 years

they of all people need to give the guy a chance, instead of regressing to their brattish ways

To be fair, I think he was suggesting that's what happened at Southampton...

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Could be the start of the end for Simmo and Morgan if he wants players to play football. Fully expecting us to sign a RB in the Jan window.

Good!

Great servants to the club but we badly need to change tactics in order to best utilise our signings and it starts from the back. Simpson and Morgan are terrified of the ball

4 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

Good!

Great servants to the club but we badly need to change tactics in order to best utilise our signings and it starts from the back. Simpson and Morgan are terrified of the ball

Indeed, the good thing about a fresh manager in is that hopefully there's no ridiculous loyalties. Should be clean slates for everyone.

Seeing as it's pretty trashed now, I hope he'll be bringing in a lot of his own staff.

4 hours ago, DatfoxesKid23 said:

We with the money we have could have had dyche or wagner even ancelotti . Claude Puel regardless of his performance in the upcoming matches was the cheapest option someone has potentially fvcked us over here.

lol_vladimir_putin.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Could be the start of the end for Simmo and Morgan if he wants players to play football. Fully expecting us to sign a RB in the Jan window.

Absolutely and you can add Fuchs to the lot. Morgan sooner than Simpson as dragovic is already there. If he performs well that is.

Edited by ZeGuy

2 hours ago, polarbear said:

give it a rest its only been 5, mins

and IF the players are unhappy already, they need some disciplining rather than this mollycuddled treatment which they've received over the last 2 years

they of all people need to give the guy a chance, instead of regressing to their brattish ways

There’s nothing to “give a rest” to. I’m neither condemning nor condoning. It is simply a piece of opinion I’m passing on from someone who has worked wirh him previously. 

In terms of your “mollycoddled” comment, probably best we just disagree. I suspect your theories on human motivation differ from mine and I’m not sure we’ll easily find some common ground. 

1 hour ago, SheppyFox said:

Kasper 

New LB

Maguire

Dragovic

New RB

Iborra

Ndidi

Silva

Mahrez

Iheanacho

Vardy

(As of end of jan transfer window)

If i was a new manager i would sit down with iheanacho and tell him to sort out his first touch and his inability to dribble the ball rather thsn kick it 10m and run.  Untill he demonstrates these things he cant play.

2 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

If i was a new manager i would sit down with iheanacho and tell him to sort out his first touch and his inability to dribble the ball rather thsn kick it 10m and run.  Untill he demonstrates these things he cant play.

He’s played for us 3 or 4 times, one of those was for 10 minutes before getting injured. The other handful of times haven’t been at match fitness, I could be wrong but I don’t believe his first touch was poor at Man City, a little harsh to judge him so quickly imo. 

1 hour ago, SheppyFox said:

He’s played for us 3 or 4 times, one of those was for 10 minutes before getting injured. The other handful of times haven’t been at match fitness, I could be wrong but I don’t believe his first touch was poor at Man City, a little harsh to judge him so quickly imo. 

Lets see if it gets better.  My real gripe is thst i dont think we work on these issues eith individual olsyers.  Slim and musa have the same issues 

7 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

We're short in midfield and don't have the most attacking full backs. Playing a diamond with this squad would be suicide.

Maybe we are better equipped for that this time around?

Albrighton and Chilwell as attacking full backs.

Iborra playing as a proper holding midfielder who slots in as a centre half to make a three when the full backs are upfield and we lose possession.

Ndidi and Silva as box to box midfielders.

Two inside forwards who can work in tandem with full backs out wide or find pockets more centrally or even as a front three.

One No9

• Like 1

Appleton did well in his two games in charge without significant changes. Provided he and Puel work well together, this may not be as bad as I first feared: they need to as Appleton is a forceful character  (Furthermore, Appleton has - by all accounts the respect of the players- and this will help Puel. If so, I can see us picking up points quickly - pity Silva is not available till January as I think he and Iborra will provide the backbone to the team - particularly important if Maguire continues to play his natural game in bringing the ball forward. Puel had limited success with Southampton and I'm sure he will have learned from mistakes he may have made. So in the short run at least, I can see some defensive tightening without losing the attacking (or fast counter attacking) which we do well.

• Like 1

I think he’s going to bring a lot of yawning, sleeping in the stands, boredom, mock French accents, mind numbing interviews, and a whole load of waffle. 

Good times ahead guys. Strap yourself in for the Puel rollercoaster ride. 

Edited by Master Fox