Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Next up.. STOKE (A)..pre match thoughts..

4 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

I really weird sense, based on social media, that Benalouane has been given a new lease on life by Puel. 

Everyone has been given a new lease on life, technically, don't mean he's moving above Drago in the pecking order. But I have a feeling everyone out of favor, especially the Francophones, is feeling better right now (and a new manager should take a fresh look at folks.) The most interesting is Slimani. If I were Puel, I'd be looking if there is any possible way to put him and Vardy on the pitch...of course, others have lost their jobs trying to do that. 

7 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Everyone has been given a new lease on life, technically, don't mean he's moving above Drago in the pecking order. But I have a feeling everyone out of favor, especially the Francophones, is feeling better right now (and a new manager should take a fresh look at folks.) The most interesting is Slimani. If I were Puel, I'd be looking if there is any possible way to put him and Vardy on the pitch...of course, others have lost their jobs trying to do that. 

I think the only way to do that is classic 4-4-2. The modern game is about one focal striker (eg. Costa at Chelsea, Lukaku at Man U) or a fluid set of forwards/false nines (Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea last season when Costa didn’t play). Nobody plays a pair up front in the old school sense any more - if you do, you’re a man light in the middle. 

We had success with Ulloa in our first season when he was the main man and Vardy in the last two. We haven’t worked well with Vardy plus another straight up striker - Okazaki has had success because he’s prepared to drop and support, which keeps the shape in the team to balance the opposition who would otherwise have more bodies in midfield. With his pace and energy, I actually think Vardy would make a very good supporting toward - Slim up front, supported by Vardy, Mahrez and Gray. But is that a step back for Vardy? He’s a strong character and might object to playing there. It does put Slimani in his best position, though, and gives us more presence while keeping pace in the team. I think Vardy would still be scoring, coming into the box like a Pedro/Martial/Rashford type. 

2 hours ago, Sooper Steve's shin said:

I think the only way to do that is classic 4-4-2. The modern game is about one focal striker (eg. Costa at Chelsea, Lukaku at Man U) or a fluid set of forwards/false nines (Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea last season when Costa didn’t play). Nobody plays a pair up front in the old school sense any more - if you do, you’re a man light in the middle. 

We had success with Ulloa in our first season when he was the main man and Vardy in the last two. We haven’t worked well with Vardy plus another straight up striker - Okazaki has had success because he’s prepared to drop and support, which keeps the shape in the team to balance the opposition who would otherwise have more bodies in midfield. With his pace and energy, I actually think Vardy would make a very good supporting toward - Slim up front, supported by Vardy, Mahrez and Gray. But is that a step back for Vardy? He’s a strong character and might object to playing there. It does put Slimani in his best position, though, and gives us more presence while keeping pace in the team. I think Vardy would still be scoring, coming into the box like a Pedro/Martial/Rashford type. 

You were doing well up to your last sentence. Vardy doesn't possess anything like the level of skill that Pedro or Rashford have. But I agree with you in that I do believe that Vardy could play the supporting role. He has very good positional sense, And his pace would take him, past people quickly for either chasing slipped in Balls or getting on the end of crosses. Because his movement is so quick he could even win us more Penalties.

I think as our midfield gets stronger which it is, This is a scenario we could see. Vardy playing off Slimani. As we try and take the game to more Teams.

There is the chance that tomorrow, puel will give them a formation they struggle to deal with - like Chelsea H or Copenhagen /Soton A last season. So we could see a prettty uncomfortable first twenty minutes. So much is unknown but I feel the manager will stick with the 4-2-3-1 from last week with Albrighton in for chilwell if he isn’t fit - slowly, slowly !!

Tempted to say it will be the same formation but Puel proved last week he is prepared to make changes. We looked really good up top despite only having a few days to work on the shape. With a whole week I'm quietly confident that whatever formation we play, we will look more fluid.

That said it might still take a few games to iron out the kinks in a new system, e.g. missed place passes and out of position in defence, but think we'll continue to see positive progress.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

There is the chance that tomorrow, puel will give them a formation they struggle to deal with - like Chelsea H or Copenhagen /Soton A last season. So we could see a prettty uncomfortable first twenty minutes. So much is unknown but I feel the manager will stick with the 4-2-3-1 from last week with Albrighton in for chilwell if he isn’t fit - slowly, slowly !!

He's said all the right things about not changing too much too soon- I can't see him throwing them in at the deep end with a new formation, he'll know when they've had enough coaching.

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

What move ?

From 15:00.

Crewe are participating in the FA Cup at home; there's often been complaints about these two clubs playing together due to both crowd congestion (although they're quite a few miles from each other) and fan safety (Crewe and Stoke had required good security presence whenever they clashed game-wise/playing in the same areas on the same day).

On 31/10/2017 at 16:12, Foxy_Bear said:

I think there WAS enough there to suggest that.

In the first half, we stopped them by playing offensively. Once the changed their system, we changed ours to a more defensive style in order to counter their change....

I wish I’d never got into this dialogue! 

The implication of the statement ‘stopping a team playing their game’ is that it’s a defensive move primarily, with the focus not on ones own attacking or more positive intentions. It’s a negative approach.

Thats was not the case in terms of us in the Everton game.

Once one is 2-0 up that’s a different story;that’s defending a lead with counter attacking possibilities (which admittedly never reallly materialised).

Archived