Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Next up.. STOKE (A)..pre match thoughts..

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Tempted to say it will be the same formation but Puel proved last week he is prepared to make changes. We looked really good up top despite only having a few days to work on the shape. With a whole week I'm quietly confident that whatever formation we play, we will look more fluid.

That said it might still take a few games to iron out the kinks in a new system, e.g. missed place passes and out of position in defence, but think we'll continue to see positive progress.

Surely not! lol

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

From 15:00.

Crewe are participating in the FA Cup at home; there's often been complaints about these two clubs playing together due to both crowd congestion (although they're quite a few miles from each other) and fan safety (Crewe and Stoke had required good security presence whenever they clashed game-wise/playing in the same areas on the same day).

I'm guessing that its moved to 12:30 because its on sky ..........................................................

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

From 15:00.

Crewe are participating in the FA Cup at home; there's often been complaints about these two clubs playing together due to both crowd congestion (although they're quite a few miles from each other) and fan safety (Crewe and Stoke had required good security presence whenever they clashed game-wise/playing in the same areas on the same day).

Im not sure why there should be any complaints to be honest as the two stadiums are about 17 miles from eachother and Crewe's attendances are, in general, below 5k (especially for a cup game). This is definitely just being moved cause it's on TV.

7 hours ago, Sooper Steve's shin said:

I think the only way to do that is classic 4-4-2. The modern game is about one focal striker (eg. Costa at Chelsea, Lukaku at Man U) or a fluid set of forwards/false nines (Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea last season when Costa didn’t play). Nobody plays a pair up front in the old school sense any more - if you do, you’re a man light in the middle. 

We had success with Ulloa in our first season when he was the main man and Vardy in the last two. We haven’t worked well with Vardy plus another straight up striker - Okazaki has had success because he’s prepared to drop and support, which keeps the shape in the team to balance the opposition who would otherwise have more bodies in midfield. With his pace and energy, I actually think Vardy would make a very good supporting toward - Slim up front, supported by Vardy, Mahrez and Gray. But is that a step back for Vardy? He’s a strong character and might object to playing there. It does put Slimani in his best position, though, and gives us more presence while keeping pace in the team. I think Vardy would still be scoring, coming into the box like a Pedro/Martial/Rashford type. 

If Vardy wants to play for England (and not just make the squad) I think this could be a fine solution to that.  Only time will tell and I think the way he is playing leading the line currently that he will be tough to shift from that position.  As much as he grafts when we have the ball, his work rate when we haven't got the ball isn't where it was 2 years ago.  Then again he has earned the right to lead the line!

4 hours ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I wish I’d never got into this dialogue! 

The implication of the statement ‘stopping a team playing their game’ is that it’s a defensive move primarily, with the focus not on ones own attacking or more positive intentions. It’s a negative approach.

Thats was not the case in terms of us in the Everton game.

Once one is 2-0 up that’s a different story;that’s defending a lead with counter attacking possibilities (which admittedly never reallly materialised).

When I think of "stopping a team playing their game" I think of a tactic designed to make them not able to do what they do.... Admittedly, the first half against Everton, doing that meant playing OUR game but I don't think we'll see that every game. We will play to the weakness of our opponents that week.

2 minutes ago, Swarles Barkley said:

Can I still get a free scarf if im sitting in the home end lol

I'll be in the middle of the Boothern End, am well-prepared for swearing occurring at every couple of seconds and got a gas mask attached in case..:whistle:

Archived