Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Northern Ireland v Switzerland

Big important match for the boys in green. Reckon they can do it though. Score a goal or two, clean sheet, game on second leg!

Seems tragic that it's not on TV. Personally I'd rather watch this match than the pointless England match tomorrow.

17 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Big important match for the boys in green. Reckon they can do it though. Score a goal or two, clean sheet, game on second leg!

Seems tragic that it's not on TV. Personally I'd rather watch this match than the pointless England match tomorrow.

It is on TV on our end.

Personally, I couldn't care less about this match or its outcome. We were first in our group, ahead of Portugal, had won our first nine group stage games and still only came second because the team couldn't perform in Lisbon.

Now, the yellow press in Switzerland have belittled the Northern Irish for a while now, simply expecting us to brush them aside.

I find that arrogant and foolish. Northern Ireland possess a veritable amount of skilled players, and above all, fighting spirit. They won't back down easily, not in Belfast and not in Basel on Sunday.

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

it's on Sky Sports?

2 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Wow, stealing a penalty for a living! I have no idea what rode the Romanian referee there. Very, very harsh decision against Evans. Ball hit his shoulder, no intention to go for the ball whatsoever. Boy, we're lucky today! lol

I agree with everything apart from your last sentence, you guys deserve to be ahead.

Just now, Nalis said:

I agree with everything about from your last sentence, you guys deserve to be ahead.

Don't know about that. We're creating some chances, but seem to be rather static going forward. Coming through the flanks all the time, no input from central midfield, Shaqiri pretty much anonymous. Kudos to the Northern Irish defensive system so far, very good.

Turned off around 50mins when Dallas limped off after getting booted for the 6th time and they brought that Derby/Forest sh***er Ward on, caught a glimpse of Kyle Lafferty in the background and all my feelings of support evaporated instantly. There's a good spirited core in there with a good head but it's dressed up in complete sh*te - a West Brom without Chadli, Rondon,Jay Rod and without any pace.

1 minute ago, SpazticChicken said:

Turned off around 50mins when Dallas limped off after getting booted for the 6th time and they brought that Derby/Forest sh***er Ward on, caught a glimpse of Kyle Lafferty in the background and all my feelings of support evaporated instantly. There's a good spirited core in there with a good head but it's dressed up in complete sh*te - a West Brom without Chadli, Rondon,Jay Rod and without any pace.

Northern Ireland has less than 2 million people, I think you're being a bit harsh there.

Just now, Webbo said:

Northern Ireland has less than 2 million people, I think you're being a bit harsh there.

Yeah abit, I just hate Kyle Lafferty

There's a good spirit there and its an honest hardworking team. EURO16 was a top effort and they still have a hope in this especially if they bounce back from that ref's decision

29 minutes ago, SpazticChicken said:

Yeah abit, I just hate Kyle Lafferty

There's a good spirit there and its an honest hardworking team. EURO16 was a top effort and they still have a hope in this especially if they bounce back from that ref's decision

What Micheal O'Neil does with probably the most limited resources of most European nations is unbelievable really. 

On paper they're basically a Latvia or a Finland or something, they're absolute muck. 

That he's got them consistently competitive is unbelievable really. 

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

What Micheal O'Neil does with probably the most limited resources of most European nations is unbelievable really. 

On paper they're basically a Latvia or a Finland or something, they're absolute muck. 

That he's got them consistently competitive is unbelievable really. 

Wild thought, I know, but reckon he could do a good job at a club like Everton (same values etc).

Swiss played more attacking fluid football, but didn't really have any cutting edge. You could say the best chance fell to the Irish with the free header. 

Clearly, the referee was a disgrace, favouring the away side big time. That leg breaking tackle he let go was frankly unbelievable. He seemed to target Lafferty, who is obviously not up to this standard, but he seemed to get wound up by the decisions going against him and stopped contributing anything. The ref did the defenders job. 

No doubt FIFA will give the Ref high marks and he will get another crucial game soon - Blatter might have gone, but nothing has really changed, the luck of the Irish does seem to desert them when they reach play-offs.

Feel for the Northern Irish. Now, they weren't really that much of a threat attacking-wise, but came close a few times, particularly from set pieces. And if Evans pulling his hand away, with the shot touching his shoulder, gets a penalty call against him AND a yellow card, then what was Rodriguez doing in our box following Brunt's cross? lol

And Schär's tackle in the first half was a heavy one, a yellow card the least...

Referee has a lot to answer for.

A goalless draw would've probably been a more fair outcome, with everything to play for in the return leg on Sunday.

Archived